What's happened to the sound - High pitch "buzz"

jonsky7

In external view with the aircraft flying towards you, there's this awful high pitch buzz/whine. I'm sure it wasn't there before and the Spitfire was/is one of the best sounding aircraft in DCS, especially for fly-bys. Saying that, I did used to use a sound mod which no longer works.

Compare the Spitfire with the P51, pretty much the same engine I believe.

Different prop, different exhaust stacks.

Anyway, this high pitch remind me supercharger whine from bf-109 

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Just checked in latest OB and that mosquito-buzz definitely should NOT be there. Might be a leftover from some mod indeed, maybe not even Spitfire-related one (remember that quite a few sound samples in DCS are shared between different aircraft).

Do the usual drill: disable mods, run repair&cleanup, check the "Saved Games" location for any sound-related custom files and mods...

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

Just checked in latest OB and that mosquito-buzz definitely should NOT be there. Might be a leftover from some mod indeed, maybe not even Spitfire-related one (remember that quite a few sound samples in DCS are shared between different aircraft).

Do the usual drill: disable mods, run repair&cleanup, check the "Saved Games" location for any sound-related custom files and mods...

Thanks for checking. I 

• Disabled all mods
  • Re-installed the Spitfire,
  • Deleted the entire sound folder from DCS,
  • Ran a repair and file check using the updater utility

Still have that buzz.

Never-mind, I've found you can still use sound mods, but they go in your Saved Games folder now.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3081615/

15 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

Thanks for checking. I 

• Disabled all mods
  • Re-installed the Spitfire,
  • Deleted the entire sound folder from DCS,
  • Ran a repair and file check using the updater utility

Still have that buzz.

Never-mind, I've found you can still use sound mods, but they go in your Saved Games folder now.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3081615/

1) If source of the problem is hidden somewhere in the Saved Games, then neither DCS repair nor reinstalling the module will work, because these procedures don't affect Saved Games location. To be sure, You can temporarily remove/rename the whole Saved Games folder and check again (in free flight mission for example) how the airplane sounds then.

2) These are stock sounds in your video. Jafa's mod worked on the principle of replacing stock .wav and .sdef files and this method is not supported anymore.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

1) If source of the problem is hidden somewhere in the Saved Games, then neither DCS repair nor reinstalling the module will work, because these procedures don't affect Saved Games location. To be sure, You can temporarily remove/rename the whole Saved Games folder and check again (in free flight mission for example) how the airplane sounds then.

2) These are stock sounds in your video. Jafa's mod worked on the principle of replacing stock .wav and .sdef files and this method is not supported anymore.

1. I could and will try that sure, but I didn't have any sound related files in my DCS saved games folder.

2. Replacing the sound files in the core game folder is no longer supported, that is true. But you CAN now put those files into your saved games folder instead and they do work. Hence the sound mod video above, I recorded it yesterday on the current open beta build.

I'm not arguing using Saved Games for custom mods. That is indeed officially recommended method. What I say is, you can put whatever content you want in there, but if the current version of the game doesn't recognize old mod file format, the mod will just sit there but not work. That's what happens on your video. You've got default sounds playing, because Jafa's mod files (.wavs and .sdefs) are no longer recognized by current version of DCS (which uses encrypted .edc files only).

Ok yeah, I've watched philstyles review video on Jafa's sound mod and it's definitely not the same as I have when applying that mod in my saved games folder, and I believe the culprit of my high pitch buzz was the community Edge 540 mod, which had a sound folder called PackardMerlinProp, so, good call on checking that, thanks.

So now I am confused because:

1. If it doesn't recognise that format anymore, how did the Edge 540 change the sounds on the Spitfire?
  2. Skullz said that's exactly how you install his Huey sound mod and that does definitely make the sound change.
  3. I far as I can gather, that's how sound mods work now from reading the sound modding thread.

Is there any chance of converting Jafa's mod somehow, it was really, really good.

I can't argue authenticity having never taken a ride in a Spitfire but to my ear the engine always sounds like it's about to tear itself apart even when at relatively low low settings in cruise