Real Intuitive to Turn On from cold start

ruddy122

The Hornet is very simple to start up

Once you know how things turn on, what is the picture what the parking brake engaged looks like, what is the FCS test, and how does INU alignment work for a Field or a Carrier it is pretty straightforward.

Just another thing that makes the Hornet amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

Chucks Guide explains how it works

DCS has some good checklists to start the Hornet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

Agree, Hornet is very smooth to start up, with a pleasant cockpit layout.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

You have to know how the systems work or don’t work

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

I think the Raven One Campaign requires you to fire up the Hornet and taxi for a CAT shot

Plus it helps open up the module even more

You learn what all those switches and buttons do

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

Eh, there is always the Training Mission - Cold Start.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

4 hours ago, CBStu said:

Not for me. Chucks Guide has something like 70 steps and I have no interest in learning that. I use auto start.

You can get everything working in less than 70 steps to be fair. In the full list there's a good chunk of optional stuff and checks of things that will never be broken in a cold start in the game.  The biggest chore with cold starts is sitting around for a full INS alignment to complete if you need to do one (and you still have that wait with autostart).

5 hours ago, CBStu said:

Not for me. Chucks Guide has something like 70 steps and I have no interest in learning that. I use auto start.

You can safely skip a lot of that. The Hornet is a bit more complex to start than the Viper, but it's still one of the simplest planes to start in DCS. Here's the startup checklist I use:

FA18C Startup.png

6 hours ago, CBStu said:

What's the point of using a study-sim then? 🙄

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

17 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

What's the point of using a study-sim then? 🙄

Flight simulator, instead start-up simulator?

To quote the ED director "Life is too short" and why to use autostart. 😉

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

2 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

And if there are modules you fly infrequently then you lose the muscle memory for the sequence or never even get it in the first place. The Viper and Hornet I can rattle off a cold start no problem. Whereas the A-10 I can never remember it all and i'm not sure i'd even know where to begin with cold-starting the Viggen.

It's true that a lot of the items in the cold start procedure are unnecessary (in a game) system tests, and a bare bones start can be accomplished in less than 5 minutes.  That's still 5 minutes I'd rather spend flying.  I can get a couple laps around the boat in that time, and my time is limited, so hot starts for me.

Let's face it... we're not really learning to operate a tactical jet from a game ;).

22 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Let's face it... we're not really learning to operate a tactical jet from a game ;).

At least for me, DCS is a simulator ... not a game 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

It's all about what level of immersion the player is going for and what tasks help them get there.  I did run through the cold start process multiple times to understand it and have downloaded @Bunny Clark's kneeboard page (thanks Bunny!) but I haven't cold-started the Hornet in a weeks.  DCS is my big, open sandbox where I can take my box of toy airplanes out on test scenarios and fly like a jackass or fly as close as possible to my own perception of realism.  It's all about having fun.  For me, I like trying to understand everything I can learn about the sim but having to do everything by the book all of the time is the exact opposite of fun.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

you  can always start  from the air saves  you  starting  and  taxing 🙂

Costs you the cat shot then.  Warm start is the right compromise for me. 😉

I flip a lot of switches and watch lights illuminate at work, I don't need to do it for fun lol.  But this is my point - it's a game, the goal is fun, so everyone should do what they like.

But yeah, the Hornet can be started awfully easily which is nice.  Now if only Blue Flag wouldn't spawn you with zero fuel... takes way longer to get fueled than to start! 

I use cold start to learn the systems and what does it do it’s not the real thing cause it almost took me a year for USAF pilot training and 3 - 6 months for transition to the KC-10 just to fly and close to 3 months for academics and sims to get it right

But wait you’re not done you need to be combat qualified in the squadron that takes 3-6 months

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

My satisfaction is getting everything ready to taxi and waiting for the INU to finish a full alignment

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

I personally like starting the aircraft. It’s just immersive and cool. I would never dream of using Auto Start. Starting is easy if you do it every time you fly. It’s just one memorized reflex. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

22 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

At least for me, DCS is a simulator ... not a game 🙂

As far as I know I'm not allowed to record DCS time in my log book, so it's totally a game. 😁

But really, this is a thing we all do for fun, and not everyone finds the same things fun. That's totally fine and awesome. Who am I to tell someone else the way they should be enjoying their game? I really wish DCS had a system where you can set any mission to cold, warm, or air start depending on how you want to play.

• Like 2