HP Reverb G2: Remove Rubber Nose Gasket/Piece?

Bearfoot

So I want my nose gap back!

In both the Rift S and the G1 the gasket could just be popped out.

With the G2, it seems glued on. I can rip it out, but that seems like a permanent / damaging solution rather than the modular one of the Rift S/G1.

Am I missing something, or is this the only way to remove the nose gasket in the G2?

you can try the frankenfov mod, i find it hideously uncomfortable ... but you end up with a massive nose gap... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

8 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

you can try the frankenfov mod, i find it hideously uncomfortable ... but you end up with a massive nose gap... 

Uncomfortable because it has sharp edges around the nose, or because it lets in too much light, or does not stay on, or too much pressure around face?

5 hours ago, Vullcan said:

Just start in one corner and slowly peel the entire thing off.

The nosegap is perfect and small with it completely removed and reminds me of the stock gap on other headsets.

You can always glue it back later.

I guess if there is no choice, and the frankenfov does not help ... seems very drastic

10 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Uncomfortable because it has sharp edges around the nose, or because it lets in too much light, or does not stay on, or too much pressure around face?

I guess if there is no choice, and the frankenfov does not help ... seems very drastic

too much pressure around the nose and face and eye sockets...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

too much pressure around the nose and face and eye sockets...

Agree plus I did not care for seeing the bottoms of my lenses.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I should also add that it does increase the fov... but the pain is not worth it imo

11 hours ago, Bearfoot said:

So I want my nose gap back!

In both the Rift S and the G1 the gasket could just be popped out.

With the G2, it seems glued on. I can rip it out, but that seems like a permanent / damaging solution rather than the modular one of the Rift S/G1.

Am I missing something, or is this the only way to remove the nose gasket in the G2?

I was thinking the same thing.  I may try to just peel it off slowly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At the moment I find the standard G2 configuration very comfortable and will stick with it for now.

My VR opticians lenses take up far to much room for me to even consider getting closer to improve FOV. 

I will not be going back to lens smear from my eye lashes like the G1.

I love my nose gasket where it is.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

12 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

At the moment I find the standard G2 configuration very comfortable and will stick with it for now.

My VR opticians lenses take up far to much room for me to even consider getting closer to improve FOV. 

Same for me. I tried the mod and definitely did not care for it.

I find the headset as is really comfortable and like the nose gasket as is.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

13 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

Same for me, but it wasn't the optician lenses I had problems with, it was just the loss of comfort and gap around the nose that I didn't like.

Even with the optician lenses, it worked satisfactorily to get closer and (slightly) increase the FOV.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I could not tell difference much in FOV however I am half blind and my natural FOV is only around 90 degrees, and only left to center. Nothing right of center. Yeah sucks to be me... I still have a great time in VR though! I can only imagine how great it would have been when I had my full range of vision.

Don B

Might be wise of them to produce a slimmed down version of the gasket, I would buy it... 

The G2 is way way comfier than my previous CV1.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

You can sit here for days imagining the best way to tackle this problem, or you can have the nose gap back in literally 15 seconds.

The rubber peels off very cleanly. Nothing will tear, just take your time. The glue holding it on is not strong, and it is easy to re-apply any glue of your choosing (from museum glue to super glue) to put it back if needed. 

You might even be thinking well I don't want to remove the entire thing, just the part that will let me see through the gap to find my beer! Well, how are you going to cut a clean straight line with that thing still glued into the headset? Its much easier to cut it with it removed, then glue back into place.

Once I took the entire thing off I realized I didn't need to put any of it back, its not uncomfortable one bit for an average sized nose.