Export "Mouse Hover" Map Coords

I fly exclusivly in VR and as such entering map coordinates for waypoints is a pretty laborious process. I'll admit I don't get any enjoyment out of the process of trying to copy down coords then bashing them into the UFC in my F18.

The only real mod that trys to address this is the 3Dmigoto VR Mod, but at this very second in time I'd rather not bundle that kind of functionality with so much other stuff. I'd much prefer if each feature was much more stand alone so that I can pick and choose what VR imporvements I want to make while keeping functional features seperate.

As such, I'm likely going to be creating a stand alone application (not familiar enough with LUA to make this work in game, don't even know if it's possible) that can grab the mouse coordinates with one key press, then "paste" them into the UFC of the F18.

At this very second in time I'm thinking something in C# that screen grabs map coords (not unlike 3Dmigoto) but instead of just displaying them it runs some OCR in the background and then outputs the keybinds to enter them in the UFC.

Obviously that's hacky as hell, but that's why I'm here...

Does anyone have any idea of how I might be able to get those map coords out of DCS, in MP in real time? It doesn't need to be the mouse coords. It could be lat/long of map markers, ruler position, anything that you can do in both SP and MP that I could get the data from? Thanks in advance.

Roy

Managed to get a bit of time over lunch and after work to get a proof of concept up and running of what I'm trying to acheive. Still thinking about how I can get the map coordinates in VR though. Ideas on the back of a postcard please! 🙂

EDIT: Sorry, totally impossible to see what's happening in SD mode so please watch in HD (might still be processing)

Edited by RoyMi6

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Have you considered trying VoiceAttack with the scratchpad mod/add-in? And if you go VoiceAttack, VAICOM might also be something you'd like!
It looks very cool BTW!
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I'm all for VoiceAttack and voice commands in general, but I just find them a bit unreliable. While I'm playing MP I'm also likely talking to others and that combined with a little bit of dyslexia I persoanlly find it hard to read and pronounce 14 to 20 characters perfectly - and that's for EACH waypoint...

Still, I've managed to get my app working almost 100% perfectly. I've only spent about 5 hours total working on it so it's completely uncustomisable as adding that kind of functionality would likely take the same amount of time if not more to add. But it works, and people can use the idea for future work hopefully as the idea is sound until ED start exporting the data for us.

I too find the process of using the in-game map copying of the coordinates down onto a piece of paper and then manually inserting it into the UFC annoying (albeit accurate I would assume). This is an amazing time-saver and I would very much appreciate it if you can make this available once the app is ready.  Does the mod also take into account the various coordinate formats required?

I'm amazed at the different talents and skills people have. Well done, sir!

• Like 1

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Thanks folks, like I say, chances of me releasing this are slim, I'll consider it but it defeintely doesn't help that there's a bug that means the mouse cursor position lat/long reported in VR is sometimes wrong...

I finally got around to playing my first game with this app last night and I kept trying to put in the coordinates for an agreeed waypoint on the map and I just couldn't get it right... couldn't for the life of me figure out what my app was doing wrong. But turns out DCS was just giving the wrong mouse cursor position... soooo... eh.... yeah. Even when it works it can't work. Brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 2:38 PM, RoyMi6 said:

...But turns out DCS was just giving the wrong mouse cursor position... soooo... eh.... yeah. Even when it works it can't work. Brilliant.

RoyMi6,

Did you try and contact the devs (or even one of the moderators here) to resolve the issue? It would be amazing to have something like this fully functional in DCS...

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

• 2 years later...
On 1/20/2021 at 3:38 PM, RoyMi6 said:

Thanks folks, like I say, chances of me releasing this are slim, I'll consider it but it defeintely doesn't help that there's a bug that means the mouse cursor position lat/long reported in VR is sometimes wrong...

I finally got around to playing my first game with this app last night and I kept trying to put in the coordinates for an agreeed waypoint on the map and I just couldn't get it right... couldn't for the life of me figure out what my app was doing wrong. But turns out DCS was just giving the wrong mouse cursor position... soooo... eh.... yeah. Even when it works it can't work. Brilliant.

Did you find any lua option to et the cursor lat/long?
If not is your code public?