Maverick hits short - what am I doing wrong?

wraith70

I am using AGM-65D variant. I start mid air so should be no boresight issue.  PRE mode, Auto handoff, I get the handoff complete.

Every time I try this, I fire and the Mav hits short of the target.  I doesn't look like the maverick sight is quite aligned with the TPOD (again air start).

Attached is a track.  Am I doing anything wrong?

Mav Hits Short.trk

I'm pretty sure if you're boresighted properly you wouldn't need to slew the mav wpn page to the target. It should at least get you in the area code. Besides, when you have the target locked on both the TGP and WPN, you might as well hit the BSGT to make sure. Maybe initially just put the TGP into point track mode and let it handoff to WPN. The WPN should slew to the target automatically. Don't touch the slew of the WPN page until after the handoff is completed, if needed at all.

Edited by taco3rd

At work so can't watch the track, but I've noticed in heavy wind HARMs and other guided missiles can tend to run out of energy. Could that be the case?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Hi.

Mid air start does not mean boresighted mav, at least that is what I have experienced. Besides that, falling short has nothing to do with boresight: as other people said, if the cross collapses onto the target, the mav is well targeted, and should not miss, if the lounching parameters are correctly met; No excessive bank, not too much azimut offset and the sensor is not looking too mjuch down into the MFD. Could be that the Mav has to turn too much in any direction, loosing then range.

To mee, it looks like a bug, witch I don 't have, by the way.

Saludos.

Saca111

It's an issue with how optical sensors work in DCS.

To put it simply: when commanding a lock (either manually or through handoff) the Maverick will cast a ray (aka. draw a line) along its LOS. This ray has a certain width to allow for some error, so the Maverick will still snap to the target.
In this example there is a light tower in the way. The ray hits the tower first and the Maverick slews over to the wrong target.

It gets much worse with vehicles on the road, because you'll often have street lights in the way, which you can't even see on the WPN page (using IR).

This really needs an overhaul, especially with the increased object density on maps like Syria. Would be nice if that would be part of the promised "FLIR improvements", but I doubt we'll get any information on that ... like usual.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.01.15 - 15.35.01.16.png

Edited by fudabidu
MS Paint rulez

Thanks for all the replies.  I tried both D and G variants WITHOUT ripple mode.

I hit the targets with single MAVs all day long.

I think it's a but with Ripple.  Seem to recall others having issues firing multiple at once.

Let me know if you have any issues with ripple.

-Wraith

I'll try this again. lol. Unless something has changed, which I wouldn't doubt, you can only ripple 2 mavericks and only if they're singles on their own rack, as of now. I've stopped using them because of all the issues, so hopefully this is correct still.

Edited by taco3rd

Ripple firing has nothing to do with the problem shown in this track.

The screenshot was taken from the track, approximately from the same direction as your plane. The Maverick's (wide) LOS hits the tower in front of the BTR and starts tracking that.