vis range with valve index

eatthis

i cant see a damn thing until very close, even a guy with the same headset can spot aircraft WAAAAAAY before i can.
ive even tried his settings and its still much worse for me.
what settings help with spotting visually?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

If using the same settings doesn’t yield the same results then it is either your vision or your valve Index or the way you wear it that would cause suboptimal image?

Btw, the new SteamVR 1.16.1 beta is a game changer with framerate locking option.  Motion smoothing + locked framerate results in very smooth stutter free flying experience.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

27 minutes ago, Supmua said:

If using the same settings doesn’t yield the same results then it is either your vision or your valve Index or the way you wear it that would cause suboptimal image?

Btw, the new SteamVR 1.16.1 beta is a game changer with framerate locking option.  Motion smoothing + locked framerate results in very smooth stutter free flying experience.

👍

Yes it is, I discovered that this morning.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Cannot try as my index is RMAed
What does this change?
If I understand correctly from the patch notes we are able also to lock to 20fps and have the compositor to generate the other 60 frames (in the 80hz setting of course).
But is it dynamic or fixed?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

3 hours ago, eatthis said:

how do i update steam?

https://www.vive.com/us/support/vive/category_howto/optin-to-steamvr-beta.html

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

14 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

Cannot try as my index is RMAed
What does this change?
If I understand correctly from the patch notes we are able also to lock to 20fps and have the compositor to generate the other 60 frames (in the 80hz setting of course).
But is it dynamic or fixed?

It prevent frametime spikes resulting in judder free gameplay.  Of course it is fixed, so you will need to specify the framerate you want to lock (now up to 6 extrapolations instead of 3).  Think of it as vsync on + max frame limiter for flatscreens.  In my case, I lock my framerate at 40 as I use 80 Hz mode and just crank up the graphic settings to crazy high level until my frametimes hit the limit.  This results in crazy good image fidelity with very smooth flying experiences.  This trick also works incredibly well with MSFS, I’m talking running everything at high settings (high volumetric clouds, ambient occlusion, reflection, etc.) in congested areas such as NYC or London with smooth 40 fps (small planes only).

Edited by Supmua

13 hours ago, eatthis said:

i cant see a damn thing until very close, even a guy with the same headset can spot aircraft WAAAAAAY before i can.
ive even tried his settings and its still much worse for me.
what settings help with spotting visually?

SteamVR supersamling affects that. Make sure that you have global 100%, per-application for dcs 100% and 1.0PD in game. See if this fixes your problem

On 1/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, Supmua said:

This trick also works incredibly well with MSFS, I’m talking running everything at high settings (high volumetric clouds, ambient occlusion, reflection, etc.) in congested areas such as NYC or London with smooth 40 fps (small planes only).

I must agree this has done wonders for MSFS.  Very smooth even with settings increased.

Can one of you guys post a screenshot of the new menu options that were added to force framerate locking? I’m using a G2 and according to the VR2DCS site, DCS uses SteamVR as its compositor too, so if that’s true, then according to the beta changelog notes this should work for G2s also.

I can assure you it doesn't.... via WMR ... so we don't get the new menu options

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

4 minutes ago, GregP said:

Can one of you guys post a screenshot of the new menu options that were added to force framerate locking? I’m using a G2 and according to the VR2DCS site, DCS uses SteamVR as its compositor too, so if that’s true, then according to the beta changelog notes this should work for G2s also.

Beta note said this is for headsets that use SteamVR compositor.  I believe G2 uses WMR compositor.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/250820?updates=true&emclan=103582791435040972&emgid=3046089750386056563

On 1/15/2021 at 7:22 AM, VitS said:

SteamVR supersamling affects that. Make sure that you have global 100%, per-application for dcs 100% and 1.0PD in game. See if this fixes your problem

its unplayable for me at those settings, looks like a potato

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr