Maverick Bore-sighting is always perfect.

Deano87

Hey all.

As noted in another thread, turns out that the boresighting on the F-16's mavericks is always perfect, even if intentionally done incorrectly.

Expected Results: Boresight the Maverick incorrectly against a different target than the TGP is looking at, resulting in an incorrect calibration. When Slewing TGP to new target and handing off to Maverick, would expect Maverick to now retain boresighting error and not be correlated to the TGP. Requiring re-boresighting to correct error.

Observed Results: Boresighting is "perfect" even if intentionally done against targets far away from the TGP Fov. Proper boresighting technique can essentially be skipped and you can just get a lock on any target and hit the BSGT button and the Missile will be perfectly aligned with TGP.

Tracks attached:

Airborne spawn, missiles pre-boresighted, attempted to ruin the boresight by re-boresighting incorrectly. Missiles retain perfect calibration.
Runway spawn, missiles require boresighting. 2 parked helicopters placed on way to target for boresighting. TGP locked right helicopter (AH64D), locked the left helicopter (Chinook) with Maverick and then hit BSGT. Despite procedure error (hundreds of feet between the 2 targets), boresight is perfect.

Recorded on latest Open Beta.

F-16 Mav Boresight Ruyway.trk F-16 Mav Boresight Air.trk

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

Hi, 

Air start / hot start as far as I remember is already boresighted. 

Try a cold start do you see different results? 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

Air start / hot start as far as I remember is already boresighted. 

Try a cold start do you see different results? 

thanks

Hi BN,

Hot start on the ground is not bresighted. You can see it clearly in my track that its not boresighted when I lock up the helicopter with the TGP for the first time. I can record a cold start track as well, but to me this is superfluous and rather besides my point.

Air starts are boresighted, correct.

Either way it shouldn't really matter. Boresighting should be able to change a pre-boresighted missile to whatever the new boresight setting is, even if its incorrect. Currently the Mav seeker doesn't care where the TGP is looking, as long as the Maverick can lock something and you hit BSGT you get a perfect boresight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

I will confirm with the team in the morning if the error is being simulated or not. 

thanks

• Thanks 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

35 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will confirm with the team in the morning if the error is being simulated or not. 

thanks

Would also be interesting to ask them if the boresight error is a different random value for every cold start jet, or for every Mav, or is it always the same offset?

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• ED Team

I have reported to the team, as soon as I have some answers I will post.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I have reported to the team, as soon as I have some answers I will post.

Awesome. Thanks

if you need any more tracks recording then let me know and I can.

Proud owner of:

• Wags locked this topic
  • 7 months later...

When boresighting Maverick and TGP alignment the relative geometry of the missile and TGP are not saved. Instead after any boresight value is saved the misalignment of the missile is eliminated including situations where it should not be.

Track file is of airplane start and deliberate miscalibration with TGP tracking vehicle 500' right of vehicle that missiles are tracking. After boresight is saved it is seen that this alignment is not saved but instead the missiles are aligned perfectly with TGP.

F16 Mav Boresight Simple.trk

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure I did a track on this before somewhere? let me see if I can dig the post out.

Proud owner of:

Yeah, Here is the thread I made about it before, when bore sighting was first implemented in DCS.

Proud owner of: