Radar off in dogfight

Zohardv

Hi all.

In dogfight mode the radar automatically locks onto targets. Depending on the selected mode, it will lock on targets that are on my nose, in my line of sight or on the vertical line.

When dogfighting, I often like to come quiet, without a radar lock, and to assume position behind the bandit.

Is there a way to inhibit the radar from automatically lock a target in any ACM mode? (BTW, I remember that in the *other sim* TMS down would cycle between vertical mode and radar standby).

1 hour ago, Zohardv said:

Hi all.

In dogfight mode the radar automatically locks onto targets. Depending on the selected mode, it will lock on targets that are on my nose, in my line of sight or on the vertical line.

When dogfighting, I often like to come quiet, without a radar lock, and to assume position behind the bandit.

Is there a way to inhibit the radar from automatically lock a target in any ACM mode? (BTW, I remember that in the *other sim* TMS down would cycle between vertical mode and radar standby).

This is actually a bug that appeared when the improved dogfight mode was introduced. IRL the radar will automatically go into "SNIF" (I don't know how to spell it, but it's said like that) when the dogfight master mode is selected without a radar lock. SNIF is a radar mode where the radar still moves from side to side and up and down, but doesn't emit any radar signals. This increases stealth over just having the radar in a stationary standby mode. NO RAD should appear in the HUD when in SNIF mode. Until this gets fixed the dogfight mode will lack a major function.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zohardv said:

Hi all.

I guess right now we can only turn off the radar in DGFT mode by manually flipping the switch above the left MFD (sorry I forgot the name of that switch). Yes in that "other sim" TMS down seems to change the radar to standby, but I guess DCS Viper's ACM modes are still WIP so we will get that HOTAS function once it's implemented. 

• Wags locked this topic