how does our iff work?

eatthis

On your right side, below the RIO cockpit lighting panel, there is a IFF control panel. Though based on the labels, it would seem that the panel has no function.

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Nevada Test and Training Range, The Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, Syria

Also, keep in mind that if you hold the IFF button without a target bugged, the DDD will display targets in azimuth vs range rather than aziumuth vs velocity (which is the standard for the PD modes).

You can change the range the IFF displays in by hitting the range buttons next to the DDD. Either while holding the IFF button or while in P Search mode.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#aa1-control-panel

Due to DCS limitations in regards to IFF the AA1 control panel is currently non-functional.

So it's always on, sending IFF reply to all interrogations automatically.

@eatthisMaybe he wanted you to interrogate him?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, ak12546 said:

On your right side, below the RIO cockpit lighting panel, there is a IFF control panel. Though based on the labels, it would seem that the panel has no function.

That's correct and is also true for ALL aircraft in DCS, as DCS doesn't simulate IFF transponder functionality unfortunately. :sad:

(The only exception from this is the JF-17 when interacting with another JF-17).

The Hornet guy probably asked you to use your IFF interrogater to interrogate your targets before engaging them to avoid friendly fire (which is also something the RIO has to do in the Tomcat).

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, QuiGon said:

That's correct and is also true for ALL aircraft in DCS, as DCS doesn't simulate IFF transponder functionality unfortunately. :sad:

(The only exception from this is the JF-17 when interacting with another JF-17).

The Hornet guy probably asked you to use your IFF interrogater to interrogate your targets before engaging them to avoid friendly fire (which is also something the RIO has to do in the Tomcat).

A friendly f18 shot a friendly f14, he actually got shot down twice by friendlies in the same mission lol

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

7 hours ago, eatthis said:

A friendly f18 shot a friendly f14, he actually got shot down twice by friendlies in the same mission lol

Sounds like he didn’t have his IFF on

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

On 1/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, eatthis said:

The F-18 would be the one at fault. Most friendly fire I see is from Hornet pilots not turning on their IFF stuff and just shooting everything because it will give a hostile return.

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue

3 minutes ago, Prez said:

The F-18 would be the one at fault. Most friendly fire I see is from Hornet pilots not turning on their IFF stuff and just shooting everything because it will give a hostile return.

Which is actually unrealistic, and it should return unknown.

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

On 1/15/2021 at 11:36 AM, BreaKKer said:

Which is actually unrealistic, and it should return unknown.

I'm not a Hornet pilot so I will make a lot of assumptions from what I know, but I know a lot of people with the Hornet are not very experienced in these technical aspects. Most probably just see no friendly return and deem it as hostile. In the Tomcat, unknown IFF returns aren't differentiated with hostile IFF returns, but since in most servers there are no neutral aircraft flying around people will just shoot down whatever isn't giving a friendly return. IFF codes aren't a thing in DCS yet, so I would still say this is simply an issue from the lack of experience and trigger happiness.

• Like 1

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue