Anton gear retraction

GR00VYJERRY

I just bought the Anton. Been flying pretty much most the warbirds for a while. I was missing the Anton and Dora so I went ahead and bought the Anton. So far I am liking it quite a bit. Pretty much destroys what ever it hits.

Anyways I noticed the landing gear retraction doesn’t work after takeoff. I don’t like toggled landing gear so all the birds I fly my bindings are set to gear up and gear down. When I try to retract them they won’t go up. If I hit the toggle they work fine and will go up. Then even weirder yet is after I use the gear toggle button I can extend my landing gear using the one way landing gear down button and then I can retract them using the one way gear up button. It just doesn’t work for the first retraction for some reason. Am I missing something?

I havent any problem with this (on my HOTAS too). Remeber to remove cover before releasing gear.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I just tried it. It works perfectly. As Yoyo says, you have to use the "Landing Gear Retraction Cover UP" command before you can use the "Landing Gear Retraction" command.

If you use the "Landing Gear UP/DOWN" ("G") command it will lift the cover for you before it hits the retract button. And if you haven't put the cover back on, you can subsequently use the "Landing Gear Retraction Cover UP" of course. So you have the choice between realistic operation which requires lifting the cover, or "arcade" mode hitting "G" or a button bound to it.

PS: It works the same way in the Dora.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes, lift the cover before you roll out, then when you get off the ground and hit your 'gear up' key, they will come up.  Had the same problem, I just made lifting the cover part of my pre-flight checklist.

Also learned that I don't need an external power supply for startup, I only need 3 of the 5 fuel pumps turned on and...when warming up the motor if I pull the throttle all the way back after a couple minutes of warmup, the oil pressure needle moves into the area it's supposed to be for operation.  If I don't throttle back, it stays just under the threshold level and it takes several more minutes to achieve the right pressure.

This plane kicks ass and is super fun!

Groovy Tucker

Edited by Tucker Fleming

I know this is probably outside the normal response for this war bird but I love dogfighting in it. Dogfighting in the 109, spit and mustang had become so easy (been flying them for a while) it is nice to be challenged again. So far I can take out p-47 and p51s (AI) up to the second difficulty but am having a hard time with the spit. I am aware that taking out spots in a 1x1 is gonna be hard for the this bird b it sure is fun to try. The Anton seems like it would absolutely destroy when flown in a pair or group. 

• 1 month later...

Reviving a dead question hear. I have been using the retraction cover up. Then gear up and it works fine as has been stated but what the heck is the retraction cover. When i F2 view my plane I dont see anything moving. Also when I lower the gear I noticed I dont need to ise retraction cover down.

Just a litlle note from a native German speaker: The words "Ein" and "Aus" in fact mean ON and OFF on a switch. But in more general use they have a different use: Ein = IN and Aus = OUT. In the case of the landing gear switches, a better translation of the labels would be "IN" and "OUT".

The same is true for the labels of the flap switches.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

Just a litlle note from a native German speaker: The words "Ein" and "Aus" in fact mean ON and OFF on a switch. But in more general use they have a different use: Ein = IN and Aus = OUT. In the case of the landing gear switches, a better translation of the labels would be "IN" and "OUT".

The same is true for the labels of the flap switches.

I would assume that those are abbreviations for "Eingefahren" and "Ausgefahren".

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Interested to hear how you boys go landing it. I find the gear too brittle and bouncy. You have to be super gentle. Like I'm always holding my breath coming over the fence. I get about 50% right...

Edited by Hornetjock

I find the Anton easier to land than the Bf-109 and probably on a par with the Dora. The German warbirds were generally not as easy to land as the P-51 or P-47.

I find even the Spit easier to land than the Bf-109 with a little practice and an analog paddle on the stick.

LeCuvier

10 hours ago, Hornetjock said:

Interested to hear how you boys go landing it. I find the gear too brittle and bouncy. You have to be super gentle. Like I'm always holding my breath coming over the fence. I get about 50% right...

it's definitely something that needs 1-2 day training of constant landing exercises. It took me that long to finally get it right every time after that. Approach at ~210-220 kmh, then cross the fence at ~200 with sink rate of about ~5m/s. The most important thing after that is a quick flare up right when you're about to touch the wheels on the ground. Without it the you'll definitely bend the struts.

but it's just my way of landing it 😄

The best part in Anton is when i cut throttle to 0, Anton sinks like a rock 🙂

Flaring with throttle cut off needs  lot of stick input.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

17 minutes ago, grafspee said:

The best part in Anton is when i cut throttle to 0, Anton sinks like a rock 🙂

Flaring with throttle cut off needs  lot of stick input.

yeah, there's plenty of that, but also it feels like there's a ground effect kicking in during the flare up, i.e. a sharp pull back of the stick and Anton doesn't want to sink after that ..

4 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

yeah, there's plenty of that, but also it feels like there's a ground effect kicking in during the flare up, i.e. a sharp pull back of the stick and Anton doesn't want to sink after that ..

True, but from my experience if you let descend rate go too high it is hard to arrest sink rate, my landing gears had rough times some time 🙂

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor