Vortex Ring State...

It had been a year since I last played with the UH-1H... so I rushed comparing how easily I could get it into and out of VRS using the wrong techniques...

It surprised me that I need more than 3000fpm descending to get VRS ? Is it really that permissive IRL too ?

• Like 1

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Last time I entered VRS in the DCS Huey I had a descent rate of approx. ~850 fpm in a stop turn while using an aggressive amount of collective, easing off on the collective and bank allowed me to recover safely.

Requirements for VRS are

• speed below ETL

• descent rate more than 300 fpm (R22, exact value depends on rotor diameter, aircraft weight and air density)

• 20-100% power/torque applied

Note: The lighter the helicopter and larger the rotor, the easier it is to enter VRS.

IIRC the consensus on a helicopter forum was that realistic values for entering VRS IRL was 40-60% TQ and 0.65 of the downwash.

RL pilots are trained to use lower values when flying to add a safety margin that allows for instrument lag, pilot response, etc.

Wz2PLb1.jpg

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2070 Super 8GB, 1TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 1+1TB SSD, MSFFB2 joystick, X52 Pro Throttle, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

On 1/13/2021 at 3:44 PM, jcomm said:

It had been a year since I last played with the UH-1H... so I rushed comparing how easily I could get it into and out of VRS using the wrong techniques...

It surprised me that I need more than 3000fpm descending to get VRS ? Is it really that permissive IRL too ?

Did you have any ETL? (Translational Lift) The Huey is quite forgiving with VRS if you have at least some translational speed. It only get's dangerous below 30-40kph.