Help with slingloading....

Guys.. what is up with the swinging 10, swinging 30 with cargo loads? No matter how fast I fly, or how slow I fly, or how smooth I fly, or what length rope I use, the cargo magically starts swinging and I can't make it stop, no matter what I try. As a result, I'm unable to complete any of the oil field campaign missions that require slingloading, because no matter how slow I lower the cargo to the ground - when it's swinging it is destroyed... Help please. And please don't just say fly smoother, because I have been, with a centered ball - heck even in no wind these sling loaded cargos are swinging for no reason. Is this just a bug?

I'm having the same problem all of a sudden. I finished Oil Field a while ago and did not have problems slinging, everything was smooth. Now I'm doing The Crew campaign and I've tried a mission several times requiring a slingload. Every time I pick up the cargo, fly as smooth as I ever have and the load starts to suddenly swing violently, till it's going higher than my chopper. Then line breaks and I fail the mission. I feel it must be a new bug, it was never like this before.

Can you two upload track files of that problem? Last i did a sling load was last weekend on a MP server with rain and wind. My load also started swinging at my tryvel from A to B but nothing like you both describe, i also had no problem stabalizing it for the unhook on the ground. 

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I did a quick and dirty test. Two cargos, 1. something light - barrels 480kg 2. a medium load - ammo 1500kg. Wind was set via summer wind preset in ME and i intentionally let the load swing on my way from A to B. I droped both cargo(1. with a little more swing) without problem - crosswind from the 1.left/2.right so not even approaching into the wind. So i could see nothing you guys describe.

Can you please attach a short track file?! Only with a track file we can see what weather settings are there(wind to strong?) in the mission, what type of cargo is used(maybe there is the problem)..... and have a chance to reproduce. Sadly my test flight is a little to big to upload here(5.6MB) so i hope the dropbox link will work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsy0kvqpf2f2xkv/MI8-sling-load.trk?dl=0

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

The trick is something following:
When the cargo begins to swing go to external view.
Now push the stick to put the helo over the cargo;
I mean if the cargo goes left push on the stick by left,to the right if goes right,....and so and so until the cargo comes stable.
Same thing forward or backward.
After a few time you will be able to feel the cargo move and you will be able to correct the swing from internal cockpit.

Edited by cromhunt

5 hours ago, unknown said:

I did a quick and dirty test. Two cargos, 1. something light - barrels 480kg 2. a medium load - ammo 1500kg. Wind was set via summer wind preset in ME and i intentionally let the load swing on my way from A to B. I droped both cargo(1. with a little more swing) without problem - crosswind from the 1.left/2.right so not even approaching into the wind. So i could see nothing you guys describe.

Can you please attach a short track file?! Only with a track file we can see what weather settings are there(wind to strong?) in the mission, what type of cargo is used(maybe there is the problem)..... and have a chance to reproduce. Sadly my test flight is a little to big to upload here(5.6MB) so i hope the dropbox link will work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsy0kvqpf2f2xkv/MI8-sling-load.trk?dl=0

OK, I'll fly tonight and drop the track in.. Thanks for your help!

Guys, there are two open bug reports on slingloading with the Mi-8.

1 - Cargos over 5000kg are not visible.

2 - The weight effects of slingloads on the MI-8 are not working. e.g. It takes the same blade angle to lift 4000kg as it does 1000kg.  

Both already reported.  

Edited by fargo007

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

35 minutes ago, ZeroReady said:

Just tried the mission in the crew campaign again, same result. Here's my track. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hj_1nhjJqgvR_mgPNbGFyoiJgKYM-qbT/view?usp=sharing

Sorry to disappoint you but that is a 3rd party campaign which is copyright protected, i can't replay that track(i hoped it would work with DLC missions, never tried it) because i don't own that campaign, also renaming the .trk into .miz to try to see the weather settings doesn't work because of the same reason. Maybe someone who owns this campaign can step in?  Does this only happen in that campaign? If yes you should maybe report that problem in the crew campaign  DLC thread, if not could you post a non copyright protected example? Do you use any mods btw?

Oh I didn't know that about track files and 3rd party stuff. I'm not using any mods, just stock OB. Lately this campaign is the only time I fly the Hip so I'm not sure if it's just this or not. But the OP of this thread sounds like he's having the exact same problem as me and he's not running the campaign.

OK, well I'm doing the oil field campaign and best I can tell the slingloading must just be broken in that campaign. I have a track, but it's got the DRM in it, so not sure who can open it to examine. (attached google drive link) Basically I am flying along around 100kph and the load just starts swinging with no input from me whatsoever... I try to bank into the swing as suggested on another post, but basically the thing just swings until it snaps. I'm basically going to give up and call this a game breaking bug for slingloading... I've tried long ropes, short ropes.. Doesn't really matter. I managed to transport a very heavy log roll on a short rope all the way to the LZ without any swinging issues only to have it "destroyed" (logs mind you) while slowly descending to set it in place.... Maybe the campaign owner of the oil field campaign has some parameters in place to make it more difficult - I don't know, but I can tell you it's absolutely ruining my experience in the HIP.

Here's track if anyone cares. It ends when the cargo snaps after an uncommanded swinging action.

I downloaded @unknown track above and those light cargos in the mission don't exhibit any real issues for me, but that's doesn't help solve the issue.

Track File:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UGaDztfccVHUYc1T4SZadEzG-dW61QUf/view?usp=sharing

7 hours ago, epolta said:

OK, well I'm doing the oil field campaign and best I can tell the slingloading must just be broken in that campaign. I have a track, but it's got the DRM in it, so not sure who can open it to examine. (attached google drive link) Basically I am flying along around 100kph and the load just starts swinging with no input from me whatsoever... I try to bank into the swing as suggested on another post, but basically the thing just swings until it snaps. I'm basically going to give up and call this a game breaking bug for slingloading... I've tried long ropes, short ropes.. Doesn't really matter. I managed to transport a very heavy log roll on a short rope all the way to the LZ without any swinging issues only to have it "destroyed" (logs mind you) while slowly descending to set it in place.... Maybe the campaign owner of the oil field campaign has some parameters in place to make it more difficult - I don't know, but I can tell you it's absolutely ruining my experience in the HIP.

Here's track if anyone cares. It ends when the cargo snaps after an uncommanded swinging action.

I downloaded @unknown track above and those light cargos in the mission don't exhibit any real issues for me, but that's doesn't help solve the issue.

Track File:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UGaDztfccVHUYc1T4SZadEzG-dW61QUf/view?usp=sharing

I think this is the only DLC campaign i own, i will have a look this evening and try to reproduce the problem. 

22 minutes ago, fudabidu said:

Logs and pipes seemed to have no weight at all and spun around the aircraft until the rope snapped.

Yes that also happened to me, and because there is no feedback in the helicopter itself you can't correct the swinging.
I tried a few times before I simply gave up and ended the mission with 50% progress. The campaign still progressed though, so that's something at least...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

4 hours ago, epolta said:

Thanks 👍

I had to shift me free time a little, so i could test some the last hour.

First, your track isn't playing correct on my end:

- cold start - taxi - takeoff - land at FARP - takeoff - bump into the parket truck - crash into a tree shortly after - no cargo was hooked at all

I took a little video to show what i see at the FARP(not listed, will be 1440p after YT processing)

Second, i renamed your .trk file to .miz and opend the mission in the ME. I altered the mission to shorten the time to test -> i placed the MI-8 at the FARP with the cargo(hot start at ground). I could hook up the cargo and transport it succesfully to the base, also the unhook was succesfull -> no damaged cargo. But i had to fly slow with that cargo -> @ ~120km/h the cargo was absolut stable, @~150km/h it started to swing heavily and above that the sling load will rip from the MI-8. I played with the weather a little bit(removed the turbulence and wind at all but that made no difference in the cargo behaviour. I attach the link to my succesfull cargo transport track and hope that it will playback correct for you, but i doubt it honestly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/913hinzs8hdjd8r/MI8-sling-load2.trk?dl=0

What speed did you fly to deliver the cargo?

Edited by unknown

15 hours ago, epolta said:

I don't understand that part. "light cargos" -> the first(berrels) was 480kg and the second(ammo) was 1500kg -> 200kg heavier than the cargo in the campaign mission

OK, I'll take a look, I flew between 100 to 150 KPH. Once the cargos start to swing (mostly side to side) there is literally nothing I can do to stop them from swinging, and they will continue to swing - not unlike a ball that continues to bounce without stopping.. It's like gravity isn't affecting the loads and they just swing and swing. Regarding "Light cargos", I'm just saying that the 2 cargos in your mission appear small and relatively light, and I could pick them up and move them around and they didn't seem to exhibit the swinging behavior.

@fudabidu and @Raven (Elysian Angel), glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with the mission. Good to know that I can still advance the campaign even if I only score 50%. I've made a bug report on the MI-8 forum, let's see if anyone else thinks there is an issue.

What size rope length do you all recommend?

There are existing bugreports for slingloading heavy cargo. So let's hope we won't have to wait too long for a fix.

Generally speaking for rope lenght I'd say the shortest you can get away with, but often in SP campaigns you'll have to make due with what the campaign designer set in the ME. For the Oilfield campaign the ropes are 25m iirc.

2 hours ago, unknown said:

What speed did you fly to deliver the cargo?

Personally, for light loads I fly at 150kph but not faster. For heavy loads (such as the pipes and logs in said mission) I try to keep it slow: around 100 kph since I found that 120kph is the absolute limit or you'll get yourself into trouble.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

2 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

There are existing bugreports for slingloading heavy cargo. So let's hope we won't have to wait too long for a fix.

Generally speaking for rope lenght I'd say the shortest you can get away with, but often in SP campaigns you'll have to make due with what the campaign designer set in the ME. For the Oilfield campaign the ropes are 25m iirc.

Personally, for light loads I fly at 150kph but not faster. For heavy loads (such as the pipes and logs in said mission) I try to keep it slow: around 100 kph since I found that 120kph is the absolute limit or you'll get yourself into trouble.

OKay. thanks for clarifying the speed. With regard to rope length. Even in singleplayer campaigns, you can go into the mission planner, click on your helicopter, and change the rope length and skin before starting the mission.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, epolta said:

Even in singleplayer campaigns, you can go into the mission planner, click on your helicopter, and change the rope length and skin before starting the mission.

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks! 😄

Spoiler

15 hours ago, epolta said:

OK, I'll take a look...

In case the track is not playing back correct i recorded the flight. I used time acceleration on route so you don't need to sit and watch the whole flight or skip over it but can see my speed and the movement of the cargo(F2 view). Video should be 1440p after YT processing:

17 hours ago, fudabidu said:

Logs and pipes seemed to have no weight at all and spun around the aircraft until the rope snapped.

I opened the mission in the ME to fly it so i don't need to play the whole campaign to test that. As you said you had problems with pipes and logs i tried the pipes for testing. Because i had not much time i used time acceleration in the mission to get from A to B -> thats why i recognised my speed was at ~160km/h and the pipes swinging a little late but i slowed down, cargo stabilized itself and i could deliver it successfully. I used in game time acceleration to record the video so you can watch my speed and the cargo movement without getting bored, video should be 1440p after YT processing:

So i don't quite get why you have all these problems and on my side it's fine. The same goes for @Raven (Elysian Angel) camp in trees bug in the first mission, worked for me many times fine and i could reproduce it only once, it's very weired. But on the other OT side i played Cyberpunk2077 for over 160h without any crash or game breaking bug, it looks like i'm atleast lucky with that(bugs) in my life.

I will try to find something to reproduce what you describe the next days if i find enough time.