Throttle HOTAS Warthog mapping when using the afterburner detent

paulw10

If you fit the afterburner detent (i.e. reversed from factory fit) you may find the standard throttle setting do not give the wanted aircraft behaviour. For example 100% mil power up to the detent for F/A-18C, or getting above 85% power in the non-afterburning A-10C. I tend to swap between these two aircraft so the throttle always has the afterburner detent set-up. The problem is that the Warthog Throttle afterburner detent (position or state) is not modelled by DCS. So you need to re-map the throttle to mimic the general behaviour. 

With the afterburner detent fitted, these Throttle HOTAS Warthog settings give a good fit.

Axis Assign

Throttle - HOTAS Warthog

JOY_RZ and JOY_Z

Axis Tune

Deadzone = 0

Saturation X and Y = 100 

Slider, User curve

A-10C/A-10C II (for linear power and 100% at the detent)

F/A-18C (for linear power and max mil at the detent, afterburner past the detent)

For the F/A-18C, I also mapped to turn the engines off past the idle detent:

Throttle (Left) - OFF = JOY_BTN30

Throttle (Right) - OFF = JOY_BTN29

Note there is no JOY_BTN in the afterburner detent region of each throttle, so you cannot turn the afterburner on/off this way, i.e. map to Cycle Afterburner Detent - ON/OFF.

Sorry, I only have these two aircraft at the moment. So cannot give for any other aircraft.

Hope this info is helpful.

Paul

Yeah. That’s the guide I used to base my changes. The detent and mapping for the A-10 is also very useful if your throttle is desk-bound, like mine. It reduces the full travel of the throttle so the HOTAS button don’t get awkward with the throttle fully forward. I find it a bit too flat when it’s positioned in front of me. I can’t position it to the side because of the desk layout. 

Edited by paulw10

There is another thread on the forum about user curves for several airframes, appreciated your effort though, it doesn´t cost anything trying new settings.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle