M-2000-5 : Wondering why Razbam does not make a "new-updated" 3D model and replace the old LOMAC-era model. (and ED legitimizes it)

NRG-Vampire

#1 The Mirage model Razbam uses is not the same one used by the old AI Mirage. You can tell by... you know... looking at them.

#2 I... what exactly are you complaining about anyway? That there are no major physical differences externally between two versions of aircraft that are planned? What's that got to do with ED or Razbam either one?

I just realised you're complaining they haven't updated the AI model. That's not Razbam's problem to update ED's models.

Edited by zhukov032186
  • Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I believe the OP means that the current Mirage 2000-5 3D model could be updated very easily, by taking Razbam's M-2000C 3D model and making small changes to it. It's not a bad idea, if ED and Razbam agree on it.

Edited by Harker
  • Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Bingo !
I meant the AI unit. They mentioned some units (see below) in the newsletter.
The same should be true for the old F-14, F-16 and F-18 models. Those 3D models need facelift and replace: F-14A, F-16A, F-16MLU, F-16 bl.50, F-16 bl.52, F-18A - what are already in the game/sim as AI units.  CF-18A/C and other two-seater 3D models also can be easily updated/adopted from current models: F-18B/D, F-16B/D, Mirage-2000D etc. as new AI units.
AFAIK M-2000-5 differ externally (for AI) only in the pitot tube/probe and some antennas/sensors on the tail and fuselage. So, it would be only a few 3D-parts-visibility-cosmetics on the current 3D model and should be easily used (same3D model) with changing parts in the liveries-description.lua by the custom_args = function/feature.
Same would be true for the F-15C model to get proper Japanese, Israeli, Saudi or older F-15A external model to use in the ME as AI units. 

9 hours ago, Harker said:

I believe the OP means that the current Mirage 2000-5 3D model could be updated very easily, by taking Razbam's M-2000C 3D model and making small changes to it. It's not a bad idea, if ED and Razbam agree on it.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:08 PM, unknown said:

Or you just didn't read your own quote 🙄:

grafik.png.52bf41777a25536da05a9cd26fc6cce1.png

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

It's not as easy as it looks like. Same issue with the old F-14 and F/A-18 AI units that are still available in the game, besides the new ones.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

10 hours ago, QuiGon said:

It's not as easy as it looks like. Same issue with the old F-14 and F/A-18 AI units that are still available in the game, besides the new ones.

It's not as easy as it looks like ?

Yes, the problem is exactly like that: how it looks.
IMHO it's starting to be awkward seeing very old (and ugly) 3D models (Vaz car, Ikarus bus, Trucks, Barge-ships etc.) while the "updated/facelifted" 3D models already in the game as landscape-reference-file but ED did not imported/converted into EDM (for using in the ME by clients).

Those old F-14A and Mirage 2000-5 models came from Flanker2 what is 20 yeras old. In LOMAC (17 years ago) those models got some nozzle and afterburner 3D facelift and appeared the newer F-18A 3D model in LOM format.
So it is easy: it's only a matter of determination (by ED) and an agreement: (if the proprietor of the 3D model is a 3rd party).
I hope they will change/update all those old Flanker2 and LOMAC-era 3D models.

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

I think the F-14A model is only still there because the new one had been added very recently, and if they just removed the old one, a lot of missions using it would break. 

Replacing the old Mirage 2000-5 with a new model, even if it's 2000C with minimal modifications, is a good idea. Flanker 2 assets really do need to be replaced.

1 hour ago, NRG-Vampire said:

So it is easy: it's only a matter of determination (by ED) and an agreement: (if the proprietor of the 3D model is a 3rd party).

They don't even agree to do that with their own old F/A-18 AI model.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

DCS is a visual experience. Therefore visual standardization is very important. At least it should be.
And I mentioning again the old vehicle models too: The ships without underwater parts/keels, what is "spectacular" since the water got transparency.

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

26 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I think the F-14A model is only still there because the new one had been added very recently, and if they just removed the old one, a lot of missions using it would break. 

Replacing the old Mirage 2000-5 with a new model, even if it's 2000C with minimal modifications, is a good idea. Flanker 2 assets really do need to be replaced.

If the new updated/changed model uses the same old ingame Name: F-14A then it will not break any mission.

sign-pic4.jpg

Don't be so sure. All it takes is a slightly different center point, so that it ends up clipping something the old model didn't, and the whole dinosaur pen goes up in smoke. 🙂 They play it safe and that's good, especially with the F-14, which is often tightly packed on carriers. Better have the mission makers change it on their own and adjust positions to make sure it fits.

12 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Don't be so sure. All it takes is a slightly different center point, so that it ends up clipping something the old model didn't, and the whole dinosaur pen goes up in smoke. 🙂 They play it safe and that's good, especially with the F-14, which is often tightly packed on carriers. Better have the mission makers change it on their own and adjust positions to make sure it fits.

Also every single weapon needs to be fitted to the new model in order to be in the correct position and rotation.

Tornado3 small.jpg