Which Mods manager is best for starter?

usafphantom2

Hello, I have seen several in the mods section and I just went through my first update and it pooched my install. So now I have to repair luckily I only had one mod installed the A-4. So I don’t want to have to keep doing this so which is the best for installing mods and not getting @#$&%* every update? Thanks for your helpful responses!

Hello, I have seen several in the mods section and I just went through my first update and it pooched my install. So now I have to repair luckily I only had one mod installed the A-4. So I don’t want to have to keep doing this so which is the best for installing mods and not getting @#$&%* every update? Thanks for your helpful responses!
For mods like the A-4, you don't need a mod manager. That's for all mods that goes in Saved Games. (Except for the o ones that interferes with each other l. Hopefully all mods will go there in the future.
For myself, I use Open Mod Manager as it's current and its still in active development, and can be used for several games.
Used to use OvGME. It also works very well.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I can't praise OvGME enough, it works very well with DCS.

Unfortunately, development has stopped and the project is abandoned. It's also a bit hard to find a download location, though I think I actually mirror the installer somewhere on my site... yup, here it is: https://www.yurgon.de/uploads/dcs/OvGME.zip (the actual file is in bin\64\rel\OvGME.exe).

(Personally, I don't trust executable files from random sites on the web. Unfortunately, the OvGME creator took down all primary sites, there isn't even a reference to MD5 or SHA1 sums of the original executable; you'll have to take my word on it that this is the original OvGME file provided by the original author, though you could certainly compare checksums with other users who run OvGME. I guess in terms of trusting the source, it wouldn't make much sense if I posted them here 😇)

For now I'll keep using OvGME, but a fresh and actively maintained alternative would be my first choice if I started with no mod manager to begin with. Never used Open Mod Manager, but that sounds like something to take a look at in the future, thanks for the hint @MAXsenna 👍 

BTW, I have OvGME set up to manage my mods in the DCS install directory as well as Saved Games. Much faster to start OvGME and de- or reactivate a mod there than deleting or copying stuff in Windows Explorer, at least for me. Add to that mod profiles, HTTP repositories... for an abandoned project, OvGME is surprisingly feature rich.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can vouch for Open Mod Manager, it's very good, doesn't take long to load hefty profiles, and as MAXsenna mentioned, it's still supported by the dev.

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

I’m still using OvGME, created by the same developer of the OpenMod .. I find it much easier to use than it’s newer sibling.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I’m still using OvGME, created by the same developer of the OpenMod

Oh?

The way he abandoned OvGME over night, closed the Github with no prior warning, and almost wiped the whole thing off the Internet, leaving the remains of his project for others to continue, or not... that's not really inspiring me to try his new tool. I've never tried Open Mod Manager and can't comment on its quality or features, but there's a lot of trust lost as far as I am concerned. I guess I won't be trying out Open Mod Manager then, until I'm convinced that it's 200% feature complete and would survive being abandoned just like OvGME was.

Oh?

The way he abandoned OvGME over night, closed the Github with no prior warning, and almost wiped the whole thing off the Internet, leaving the remains of his project for others to continue, or not... that's not really inspiring me to try his new tool. I've never tried Open Mod Manager and can't comment on its quality or features, but there's a lot of trust lost as far as I am concerned. I guess I won't be trying out Open Mod Manager then, until I'm convinced that it's 200% feature complete and would survive being abandoned just like OvGME was.
I see your point. I didn't know this.
Of course one has this one as well.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309551/

14 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

For myself, I use Open Mod Manager as it's current and its still in active development, and can be used for several games.

Have you got a link to Open Mod Manager? 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Have you got a link to Open Mod Manager? 
Here you go!
Cheers!

Edit: Sitting on my phone with Tapatalk, and it does funny things with links in the forum. So hope it works.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/240333-open-mod-manager-ovgme-successor/&ved=2ahUKEwjI2Lyyz5juAhUQlIsKHTs1Ca8QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0R0TJ6649X-745YKenSinI

Thanks. Nothing came up on Google for 'Open Mod Manager'! 

Apart from being currently supported, does it have any advantages over OvGME which still works nicely for me?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks. Nothing came up on Google for 'Open Mod Manager'! 
Apart from being currently supported, does it have any advantages over OvGME which still works nicely for me?
Yeah, had to refine the Google search parameters to find it myself. Have subbed to many threads here.

It's very similar to OvGME, but I find it easier to navigate, once setup correctly.
I have made a "context", DCS, and under that 3 "paths". Shared Saved Games, (I share mods between Stable and OB through hard links. Saves a little space) , Stable and OB. This is similar to the OvGME drop down list, but looks nicer IMHO.
Then you can make "batches" of mods. Like one for only WWII etc. Empty ones uninstalls all mods.
The concept is completely the same. But the UI is different, looks more modern, and a 64bit version.
After reading the first post, I now get it that it's the same author. Didn't know that.
You can still run OvGME and use the same directories for your mods, if you want to test.
There is one thing lacking though, and that's the Web repositories. But according to the latest post from Sendenion, its seems he's working on that.
Well, anyway. In short words, I like it better than OvGME, but it might not be useful yet for those of you that are happy with OvGME. But if I were a new user, I would go for this one.
Cheers!

Sorry, I spent half an hour trying to work out how to use this and gave up!  Compared to the ease and simplicity of OvGME, it looks quite cumbersome.

Any basic tips to set up in DCS?  Really struggling with it.

OK, so I persevered. got it working, I think.  Seems pretty useful.

Getting the version numbers to show is a bit of a pain.  The version number has to be in the text file name. In OvGME it just reads the content of a version.txt file.