Serpents Head Mission 3: You have failed the mission ...?

rale26

I am in the mission 3, I take out the first SAM and then get "You have failed the mission ... ".  4..3..2..1 countdown follows soon and it kicks me out of the game. Any idea what's going wrong?

Edited by rale26

Hi rale26

What reason did it give you that you had failed?  You will either fail this part of the mission by either dying  or leaving the attack area without completing Task 1 of the mission.

You probably strayed outside the Task 1 Fail zone without completing Task 1. If you go further than 18 miles from the target without completing the first task  you will get a fail.  So just stay in zone, which allows you to maintain visual contact with your targets. The strike range of the SAMs are 6 miles so should be easily done.   

Hope this helps 

Edited by Glyn

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Oh that has to be it. First time I fired HARM 20+ miles away and it kicked me out right away. Second time I tried with Maverick first, got one but likely got out of 18nm zone because I wanted to give myself enough space/time to find second target. I'll try again tonight and stay within the zone. Thanks Glyn!

Looks like I spoke to soon, got two more issues in mission 3. TACAN 10x for tanker didn't work at all. Tried ON-OFF couple of times, tried clearing tacan code and punching again, but no go. I had to fly in circles until I stumbled on it. Radar doesn't work as well. Couldn't pickup the tanker nor I was able to pickup Mig23 after that. RWR worked so at least so I was able to get direction of m23.

Edited by rale26

4 hours ago, rale26 said:

Looks like I spoke to soon, got two more issues in mission 3. TACAN 10x for tanker didn't work at all. Tried ON-OFF couple of times, tried clearing tacan code and punching again, but no go. I had to fly in circles until I stumbled on it. Radar doesn't work as well. Couldn't pickup the tanker nor I was able to pickup Mig23 after that. RWR worked so at least so I was able to get direction of m23.

Hi

Just to check have you selected AA when setting up the Tanker Tacan. This required for aircraft Tacan.

Also you will not be able to pick up Tanker until you are offered it and accepted it in the mission. Neither will you pick it up on radar as it is not there yet. This a mission design decision to minimise units at any one time to help VR resources.

Not sure what to say about the radar. This is not controlled by Campaign scripting, if it is an issue it is the DCS simulation itself. Are you sure you have it set up and are using it correctly. There is a myriad of reasons why things don’t show on radars due just to the way they function and how you use them. No one else seems to have had this radar issue to date. 

Hope this helps

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Hi Glyn, thank you for following up.

I am flying F18 for 2 years now so definitely know how to work the radar. I was at tree top level, my radar alt was leveled (40nm, 140 degrees, 4 bars), he was slightly above which should be easy to detect but I still couldn't pick him up. He picked up me though which was lucky as it gave me direction. Forgot to mention that fuel from takeoff to landing was at 7010, technically unlimited :). Also some issues in mission 4 but nothing major. Let's see how it goes moving forward :).

Thank you once again!

Hi Rale26

Hope you enjoy on going.

As I said Radar functionality not within the control of the campaign scripting. If there is a issue which has not been reported you should raise in forum.
Which version of the campaign are you flying. The easier air to air refuel version does have unlimited fuel fixed at about half as you describe. This the only way a version could be created in DCS currently where you do not have to catch and hold  the basket but just get into position which then allows the campaign to proceed.

Edited by Glyn