Buddy Laze

CaptJackG

Had an extensive CAS evening Sunday, works like it always did for us... (10 players)

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• 2 weeks later...

Tried again today with a friend and no joy with the pod, but buddy lasing with Mavs did work. It is really odd. 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I tried anything from 10nm down to being directly overhead 1000ft above the lased target. The LST mode on the pod didn't work, but I was able to have all my weapons guided by the other people's designations. I just can't think of what I did wrong, the codes did match (as was verified with the weapons), the pod just can't spot a laser for some odd reason in my case. 

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

LST on the Hornet behaves differently than it does on, say, the A-10. The pod only scans a small area around its current LOS (scan FOV can be adjusted on the FLIR page). Because of this, the pod should already be looking in the general area of the laser for acquisition. Even then, it can take a little bit for the pod to acquire the laser while searching.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

So you mean I have to slew it to the rough target area already to get a lock? Or can I also boresight it by slaving it to the FPV and aim in the rough general direction with the HUD?

So you mean I have to slew it to the rough target area already to get a lock? Or can I also boresight it by slaving it to the FPV and aim in the rough general direction with the HUD?
Either of those two will work. The pod needs to be looking more or less there, already.

Also, once you enter LST mode, there are two FOV levels for it, narrow and wide. By default, it starts on narrow and you can switch to wide, to get a larger scan.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Have to admit I have noticed the FOV selector key for the first time today, for that alone you have my thanks already!
So, I'll play around with it a bit, let's see if I can make it work. 

Okay, I got it to work occasionally, but it is really nowhere near the reliability of the Hog's system. And it seems to like to look down from higher up, with flatter angles it doesn't seem to work that reliably. Also, seems like it is much easier to pick up marked targets than just marked points in the terrain, does DCS model laser reflectivity? 

17 hours ago, XtraChrisP said:

@mhe What's your slant range?  The laser only goes out to 8 NM.  Beyond that it's marking a point in space exactly 8 NM at your line of site. 

A laser can't illuminate a point in space, that's physically impossible.

• Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

3 hours ago, Brun said:

A laser can't illuminate a point in space, that's physically impossible.

Engine limitation. In reality, sure, the photons would scatter, but in DCS the end of the beam floats.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

18 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Engine limitation. In reality, sure, the photons would scatter, but in DCS the end of the beam floats.

Surely that's just a graphical restriction and doesn't affect whether other units or devices can see it?

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

10 hours ago, Brun said:

Surely that's just a graphical restriction and doesn't affect whether other units or devices can see it?

The best description I've seen is to think of it in DCS as being a light sabre that has a finite tip, rather than a blaster that keeps going until it hits something.  Not ideal, but that's how it is currently.