Cooling (wut?! this again?)

reece146

So, it's still b0rked right? Was it ever fixed?

Just flew for two hours.

After take off, climbed to ~30k at 2700/46 and maintaining 180-170+ mi/h, cruised at various altitudes 2400/36, ran the fuselage tank dry and then RTB. 

When descending/ascending watched MP like a hawk to keep at spec at all times.

At no point during this flight could I leave the cooling flaps in auto. Had to be continuously watching the temps and adjusting the cooling flaps manually. I'd try it in auto every once in a while.

I could get into a manually set "steady-state" but of course that is not ideal if going into combat.

I don't understand what is wrong with this module. It must be a coding issue? Some thermodynamic capacity value out of scale/scope or something? Cooling reservoir capacity divide by ten error? Opening the oil cooler makes the gauge swing quickly so that what makes me think there is a modelling issue. Of course without seeing/understanding the code this is just speculative BS - maybe they cool that quickly in real life with the door opened/cracked.

Nowhere in the Mustang manuals (DCS, real USAF, or Chuck's for that matter) does it talk about having to manage the cooling unless a system has failed.

On a different but related item: when you first get in the plane if you set the cooling flaps to both manual and then turn on the airplane, shouldn't the doors remain in their open position? I dunno. I tried this and then after starting the plane looked in the external view both flaps were closed in spite of the auto flippy lever thingies being in the down position.

6 hours ago, reece146 said:

On a different but related item: when you first get in the plane if you set the cooling flaps to both manual and then turn on the airplane, shouldn't the doors remain in their open position? I dunno. I tried this and then after starting the plane looked in the external view both flaps were closed in spite of the auto flippy lever thingies being in the down position.

They should and they do. Just flip both covers and switches to down before even turning on the battery, otherwise, being electric, they'll start closing immediately.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

7 hours ago, reece146 said:

I don't understand what is wrong with this module. It must be a coding issue? Some thermodynamic capacity value out of scale/scope or something? Cooling reservoir capacity divide by ten error? Opening the oil cooler makes the gauge swing quickly so that what makes me think there is a modelling issue. Of course without seeing/understanding the code this is just speculative BS - maybe they cool that quickly in real life with the door opened/cracked.

It is working as intended, oil temp is probed at oil engine inlet so just after oil cooler, you should see instant temperature reaction to oil cooler door positon

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

I wouldnt necessary say cooling works as intended, considering the fact that ED is reworking the cooling system for the warbirds. 

Look how act oil temp in P-47, exact the same as you open cooling door temp drops fast. I don't think so that ED coded P-47 with error.

I hope that ED will finish up cooling system in spitfire, which is missing important stuff.

I am very suspicious about coolant in P-51 not much about how cooling door works, but about cooling system efficiency. Since you boil engine while taking off at hot ambient temp even when you open cooland door fully, cooling is not sufficient for high alt fights as well, you can pretty much flight straight level with full power any drop in speed ends up with over heating.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

11 hours ago, Art-J said:

They should and they do. Just flip both covers and switches to down before even turning on the battery, otherwise, being electric, they'll start closing immediately.

I'll try it again but that wasn't my experience last night. I set the covers down when first entering the cockpit and then turned on power.

15 hours ago, reece146 said:

I'll try it again but that wasn't my experience last night. I set the covers down when first entering the cockpit and then turned on power.

Set covers down don't do anything, switches will remain in AUTO position, Set covers up will move switches in to AUTO position from what ever position they were.

Edited by grafspee

• 1 month later...

The P51D will overheat if you leave the oil cooler in auto. You have to manually open it to cool the engine. The auto system either does not fully open the radiator or waits for the engine to be overheating before it does which is to late.

4 hours ago, Snapage said:

The P51D will overheat if you leave the oil cooler in auto. You have to manually open it to cool the engine. The auto system either does not fully open the radiator or waits for the engine to be overheating before it does which is to late.

I leave the coolers in auto all the time and never experienced an overheat. Oil temp gets very hot when climbing 150mph at 36/2400, but that's it. 55/3000 in combat and I never overheat. On the contrary, I opened the coolers for takeoff once, and upon dropping MP to 46" and RPM to 2700, my oil temps went past redline and the engine started windmilling. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The green in the temperature gauges is for non combat missions only. This is to increase the life of the engine.

You don't have to START to worry about temps until they're in the red.

When people blow their engines using WEP they are overheating the AFTERCOOLER which does not have a temperature gauge.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2021 at 4:10 AM, Theodore42 said:

The green in the temperature gauges is for non combat missions only. This is to increase the life of the engine.

You don't have to START to worry about temps until they're in the red.

When people blow their engines using WEP they are overheating the AFTERCOOLER which does not have a temperature gauge.

Aftercooler don't have gauge because over heating is very unlikely.

Anyway even short time on WEP engine can seizure, i have this multiple times, even after landing and sitting on the ground with engine turned off, you will hear laud bang and engine wont move anymore.

• Like 1