Jump to content

Cooling (wut?! this again?)


Recommended Posts

So, it's still b0rked right? Was it ever fixed?

 

Just flew for two hours.

 

After take off, climbed to ~30k at 2700/46 and maintaining 180-170+ mi/h, cruised at various altitudes 2400/36, ran the fuselage tank dry and then RTB. 

 

When descending/ascending watched MP like a hawk to keep at spec at all times.

 

At no point during this flight could I leave the cooling flaps in auto. Had to be continuously watching the temps and adjusting the cooling flaps manually. I'd try it in auto every once in a while.

 

I could get into a manually set "steady-state" but of course that is not ideal if going into combat.

 

I don't understand what is wrong with this module. It must be a coding issue? Some thermodynamic capacity value out of scale/scope or something? Cooling reservoir capacity divide by ten error? Opening the oil cooler makes the gauge swing quickly so that what makes me think there is a modelling issue. Of course without seeing/understanding the code this is just speculative BS - maybe they cool that quickly in real life with the door opened/cracked.

 

Nowhere in the Mustang manuals (DCS, real USAF, or Chuck's for that matter) does it talk about having to manage the cooling unless a system has failed.

 

On a different but related item: when you first get in the plane if you set the cooling flaps to both manual and then turn on the airplane, shouldn't the doors remain in their open position? I dunno. I tried this and then after starting the plane looked in the external view both flaps were closed in spite of the auto flippy lever thingies being in the down position.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, reece146 said:

On a different but related item: when you first get in the plane if you set the cooling flaps to both manual and then turn on the airplane, shouldn't the doors remain in their open position? I dunno. I tried this and then after starting the plane looked in the external view both flaps were closed in spite of the auto flippy lever thingies being in the down position.

 

They should and they do. Just flip both covers and switches to down before even turning on the battery, otherwise, being electric, they'll start closing immediately.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, reece146 said:

 

 

I don't understand what is wrong with this module. It must be a coding issue? Some thermodynamic capacity value out of scale/scope or something? Cooling reservoir capacity divide by ten error? Opening the oil cooler makes the gauge swing quickly so that what makes me think there is a modelling issue. Of course without seeing/understanding the code this is just speculative BS - maybe they cool that quickly in real life with the door opened/cracked.

 

It is working as intended, oil temp is probed at oil engine inlet so just after oil cooler, you should see instant temperature reaction to oil cooler door positon


Edited by grafspee
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, razo+r said:

I wouldnt necessary say cooling works as intended, considering the fact that ED is reworking the cooling system for the warbirds. 

Look how act oil temp in P-47, exact the same as you open cooling door temp drops fast. I don't think so that ED coded P-47 with error.

I hope that ED will finish up cooling system in spitfire, which is missing important stuff.

I am very suspicious about coolant in P-51 not much about how cooling door works, but about cooling system efficiency. Since you boil engine while taking off at hot ambient temp even when you open cooland door fully, cooling is not sufficient for high alt fights as well, you can pretty much flight straight level with full power any drop in speed ends up with over heating.


Edited by grafspee
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Art-J said:

 

They should and they do. Just flip both covers and switches to down before even turning on the battery, otherwise, being electric, they'll start closing immediately.

 

I'll try it again but that wasn't my experience last night. I set the covers down when first entering the cockpit and then turned on power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, reece146 said:

 

I'll try it again but that wasn't my experience last night. I set the covers down when first entering the cockpit and then turned on power.

Set covers down don't do anything, switches will remain in AUTO position, Set covers up will move switches in to AUTO position from what ever position they were.

 


Edited by grafspee
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...