what are you using for controls in the Huey ?

Rick50

Considering the uniqueness of heli flying, I'm curious what you guys are using for controls with the Huey specifically. I ask for the Huey because many seem to believe this is the most "lively" of the helis, the one that keeps you on your toes. And fingertips!

Did you mod an existing stick, maybe with an extension? 

Did you make your own collective?

How does it work for you? 

Do you plan on a different hardware setup in future?

• Like 1

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

I use the RPM lever on my Saitek Throttle Quadrant for throttle twist control (left at 100% during all flight).

no mods.

no pedals.

"rudder trimmer" option basically mandatory with the spring twist

working great for years

Edited by randomTOTEN

Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 as cyclic. Thrustmaster TWCS as collective. Have a "real" collective on order. 25 year old Thrustmaster RCS as pedals, with removed spring and centering. Even though they are really old, and the quality is not on par with modern standards, they are awesome because of the large travel. Gonna mod them hall sensors and dampening later, and mod them some more.
I like the Huey, but I prefer the Mi-8. Can't wait for the Hind.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

VKB Gunfighter for the Cyclic. It was purchased to replace a Saitek Cyborg X, which wasn’t cutting it in Steel Beasts (A tank sim), both have twist grips for rudder. The Cyborg comes with an inbuilt twin throttle, so I use it as the collective for now, reversed. (Push away to increase lift, in other words).

I am quite happy with it.

Cyclic: ghetto-extended VKB Gladiator II on a Monstertech centre chair mount.

Collective: was a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle mounted vertically to mimic (somewhat) the movement of a collective handle; currently playing with turning it into a collective lever so it's the throttle's guts and handle, some 3D-printed parts, and a whole lot of gorilla tape.

Pedals: MFG Crosswind V2.

Edited by jym
  • Like 1

Frankenstein Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 base combined with TM TOP-GUN grip extended by carbon fiber tube (as cyclic). (parts ordered, project to start when parts arrive). Virpil Throttle-CM2 for collective.    Also thinking about upcoming Virpil Helo products (Collective & Cyclic) but not sure production dates and availability (probably not FF however).

MSFFB2 (best joystick ever made) for cyclic 

Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle for collective

Saitek Rudder pedals. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Warthog Hotas with no modifications as cyclic and collective with G27 racing pedals as rudder.

I thought after reading the forums I would need to modify the Hotas with a change of springs or an extension but it is very controllable with a stock setup. Maybe from a purists view it is not how helicopter controllers should feel like but I will never fly a real helicopter so will never know the difference!

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

Thrustmaster A-10C Warthog Throttle and Joystick, Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder Pedals and Rift CV1 VR Headset.

I removed the middle spring in the joystick (if you got one, and you fly helos, remove it, thank me later) to get more authentic feel for the cyclic, left throttle for throttle, right throttle for collective.

It works fairly well.

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

On 1/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, DeTesla said:

Thrustmaster A-10C Warthog Throttle and Joystick, Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder Pedals and Rift CV1 VR Headset.

I removed the middle spring in the joystick (if you got one, and you fly helos, remove it, thank me later) to get more authentic feel for the cyclic, left throttle for throttle, right throttle for collective.

It works fairly well.

I use a very similar setup, with main spring removed from the TM Warthog HOTAS stick. TM Pendular rudders are costly, but boy, what a difference compared to my old Logitech plastic pedals.

I have the Index headset now, pretty similar to the CV1, just a little higher resolution. Used to fly with the CV1. 

One important thing: Do you have the collective axis reversed, so that you increase lift/collective by pulling backwards? It mimics real life more closely, and enabled me to fly a real helicopter competently on my first lesson. Really recommend it. 

I'm another warthog guy with the spring removed.

You can also sit with the warthog between your legs, and sit on the base. so you don't need to mount it to your chair.

I also use crosswind pedals with the return spring unhooked.

As helicopters use a lot of muscle memory. The trick is to settle on controls quickly and then not change anything.

Because your muscle memory needs to reset with changes.

Constantly tweaking your controls and curves is one of the worst things you can do.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Lv5tDYA.png

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

22 hours ago, VirusAM said:

Is that what you are using?

Yes it's quite a bit more convenient for helo flying than a fixed wing setup. It takes quite a lot of getting used to obviously, but it's worth the effort since it's a more authentic experience.
I've had this thing for over 3 years now.

One other disadvantage is the amount of time it takes to switch from helo to fixed wing and back again: I don't have room for both setups simultaneously, so it takes a bit of tinkering to switch back and forth to set things up just the way I want to. Obviously I don't do that too often...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

It is really a nice setup...seems also somewhat expensive

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

1 hour ago, VirusAM said:

seems also somewhat expensive

Dedicated helo controls always are, because they're so niche. There is no mass production, which drives up the unit cost.

You should probably only buy such a setup if you're really serious about flying helicopters. This is overkill for casual use.

Spoiler

T1600m hotas. 

The shit quality of both the twisty z axis on the stick and the pedals on the throttle made it so they are unusable because of the controls stuttering. 

I'm actually using the wheel on the throttle for rudder and I use the control indicator in DCS to see how much I have turned the rudder. 

It seemed impossible to use helos at first but now I have been flying like this for two months and honestly I'm sure I could fix it easily but I'm too lazy for these kind of things at the moment. I have gotten used to it and I feel like I fly no worse than before. 

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?