F-18 Documentation

ColinM9991

Hi,

I posted a thread yesterday which was deleted, I've no idea why because I've confirmed (via Google linking back to threads here) that this is the right area for such a thread (mods, please do message me with a reason if I'm breaking any rules).

Are there any plans on rewriting the F18 documentation when it is feature complete and released? As I mentioned in my thread yesterday, I have started reading the official documentation just to cover some knowledge gaps and I'm noticing that a lot of paragraphs/sentences are contradictory as well as some information being wrong.

Example of a contradictory statement:

Page 32, Function Selector Push buttons - autopilot is engaged when you press the AP button on the UFC, but autopilot is not engaged when you press the AP button on the UFC.

(and in case of the autopilot switch, the autopilot is engaged). The autopilot button displays the selected autopilot mode options in the option windows and the desired mode/modes are colonized ( : ). Note that pressing the autopilot button will not engage autopilot!

Example of an invalid statement:

Page 121, Adding Waypoints to Sequence - The following statement is incorrect because it is the SEQUFC page where you add waypoints to a sequence. UFC opens the waypoint configuration page on the UFC.

Press pushbutton 5, UFC, and then the INS Option Select Button on the UFC. Use the keypad to enter the number of the waypoint to add and then press the UFC ENT button. The new waypoint will then be added to the end of the selected waypoint sequence.

Another similar theme which seemed strange to me is on page 60, controls for the joystick.

Nosewheel steering disengage [A]. This paddle switch has multiple functions depending on the state of the aircraft. Functions include: • Nose wheel Steering. Disengages commanded nose wheel steering. If the high mode is desired during taxi, press and hold the nosewheel steering button. If the wings are folded and NWS is engaged, high gain mode is entered by pressing and releasing the NWS button. If the nosewheel steering system fails, NWS and FCS are displayed on the DDI as cautions, the MASTER CAUTION light comes on, and the NWS or NWS HI display is removed from the HUD. When failed, the nosewheel steering system reverts to a free swiveling mode.

Why would the paddle of the joystick, nosewheel steering disengage, contain information for how to use NWS-HI mode, while the Nosewheel steering description has no mentioning of that? This is a minor detail but it's a strange place to put this.

If this thread is breaking any rules then please tell me what rules they are and for what reason it's being removed so I know what I'm doing wrong here. This module isn't cheap and while YouTube videos are a great reference I think it would be better to have an official reference guide similar to that of the A-10C II documentation which is fantastic.

Regards,

Colin

A while back ED had a job available for a writer to fully work on this. As per the patchnotes of DCS 2.5.6.59398 Open Beta - 17.12.2020

DCS F-18C Hornet by ED
Updated the manual.

DCS F-16C Viper by ED
Updated the manual.

DCS A-10C II Tank Killer by ED
Updated the manual.

Pretty safe to say that this is actively being worked on but with multiple modules with large documentation and frequent updates it can take a while before everything is sorted out.

It's a challenge to keep a manual up to date with an Early Access module.  The biggest challenge I have with it currently is that there are certain places where it is flat out wrong and if a new user is trying to follow what it says isn't going to work which will be very frustrating for them.  The inconsistencies and missing info is more understandable.

3 hours ago, ArjenHVA said:

A while back ED had a job available for a writer to fully work on this. As per the patchnotes of DCS 2.5.6.59398 Open Beta - 17.12.2020

DCS F-18C Hornet by ED
Updated the manual.

DCS F-16C Viper by ED
Updated the manual.

DCS A-10C II Tank Killer by ED
Updated the manual.

Pretty safe to say that this is actively being worked on but with multiple modules with large documentation and frequent updates it can take a while before everything is sorted out.

Thank you, it's good to hear that they were looking and the position has likely been filled. I had a peek at the A-10C II docs and they do look great with a lot of detail.

36 minutes ago, rob10 said:

It's a challenge to keep a manual up to date with an Early Access module.  The biggest challenge I have with it currently is that there are certain places where it is flat out wrong and if a new user is trying to follow what it says isn't going to work which will be very frustrating for them.  The inconsistencies and missing info is more understandable.

This is exactly my thinking and my frustration. I noticed in the Navigation section, relating to the HSI, that ILS currently "isn't implemented". That must be a very old revision because ILS has been implemented for as long as I've been flying the F18 (almost 2 years) and I've used it many times on carrier landings. (Note: ILS for the F18 actually refers to ICLS)

There are many great content creators on YouTube but the manual should serve as a manual to learn from and a reference guide to solidify ones understanding.

13 hours ago, ColinM9991 said:

Thank you, it's good to hear that they were looking and the position has likely been filled. I had a peek at the A-10C II docs and they do look great with a lot of detail.

You're not really comparing like with like.  The Hornet is in EA, and as such, the manual will always be a WIP.

The A-10C II manual is just an edited version of the long standing original A-10C one.  Even so, have you looked into it in detail?  I don't even think there is a mention of the HMCS, one of the main new features.  So, it is certainly not complete either.

EA can be frustrating, but patience is required.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Unfortunately it is what it is. Just yesterday I decided I needed to learn how to use laser Mavs so I could try a new (for me) mission. Went to Chuck's Guide as usual but his Laser Mav section is using the new targeting pod. The mission is an older one and there is no pod but there is a JTAC. I finally found an older youtube tutorial that worked. Many, many years ago I was peripherally involved in some automotive technical bulletin creation/updating. The amount of work involved blew my mind. I was asked to help update a specific subject because I was technically knowledgeable. The amount of time I spent on simply finding or creating illustrations to go along w/ the text was unbelievable. I remember one I could find dozens of front views but I also needed a rear view. I spent almost a full day and found just two rear views but they were a slightly different model. My boss decided we would use them anyway w/ a caption saying it was a different model but that the portion we needed to illustrate was correct.  

2 hours ago, imacken said:

You're not really comparing like with like.  The Hornet is in EA, and as such, the manual will always be a WIP.

It certainly is EA (although this is commonly used as an excuse with any EA title/DLC), unlike the A-10C, so it is an apples & oranges comparison, but there are many systems (ILS being one of them) that are implemented while the documentation says otherwise in some sections and contradicts itself in others. Effort can be spent on documentation while systems are being developed as it doesn't take a whole team of developers to consult with writers or BAs/POs.

In fact I wouldn't even think any developers would be involved in the systems documentation as they'd typically get requirements handed down to them. Though this is a bold statement to make because I have no idea how ED actually do this. My experience only comes from the enterprise orgs that I have worked in.

Edited by ColinM9991