Tobii 5C eyetracker

Snowblind

ED, 

first of all 2021 look to be an amazing year for you guys and the community, 

Please can I make one small request please, can you please allow the users of the Tobii 4 and 5C to have full 6DOF in cockpits, by default only head and eye-tracking with 3dof, but you are unable to lean in and out. the eye trackers are capable to do this function, as is the engine because TrackIR and similar products do it, let alone VR.

I understand this won't be an overnight task as your dev schedule is pretty full, but if it could at ;least be considered, you'd make some Tobii owners very happy! 

• Like 2

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

Hey Snowblind, I presume you have a Tobii 5C? If so, could you share how good it is in terms of responsiveness and precision? I saw only a few videos with it on youtube and it looks promising, but I'm still on the fence whether to buy the 5c or go for a TrackIR/DelanClip combo.

Modules:

MiG-15bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24, FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, AH-64D, AJS 37 Viggen,  F-5E, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B/NA, JF-17, C-101, Bf 109 K-4, Fw-190 A8, Fw-190 D9, F-86F, P-47D-30, P-51D, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI

Maps/Mods:

Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Normandy, Marianas, SC, CA, A-4E, MB-339

So, i use it for star citizen and DCS and occasionally ARMA 3,  in Star citizen it is flawless and above the standard of TRACKIR5, eye tracking takes a while to get used to but id say its made me more immersed and probably a better 'combat pilot'

in DCS the lack of 6DOF was weird at first, but the actual tracking was as good as TRACKIR5 id say, once id set the curves and sensitivity up. in the end i decided to disable eye tracking in DCS as i felt it was more of a distraction, and i got FACETRACKNOIR which has a tobii5c plugin which brings back 6dof.

what i can say is that its great not having to wear a hat or the Trackclip pro, just being able to 'fly' and have headtracking without wearing any peripheral was a really nice change. id recommend tbh if you play more games than DCS, hopefully if the demand for TOBII integration increases ED can devote some dev time to integrate it as well as star citizen has.

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

3 hours ago, Snowblind said:

So, i use it for star citizen and DCS and occasionally ARMA 3,  in Star citizen it is flawless and above the standard of TRACKIR5, eye tracking takes a while to get used to but id say its made me more immersed and probably a better 'combat pilot'

in DCS the lack of 6DOF was weird at first, but the actual tracking was as good as TRACKIR5 id say, once id set the curves and sensitivity up. in the end i decided to disable eye tracking in DCS as i felt it was more of a distraction, and i got FACETRACKNOIR which has a tobii5c plugin which brings back 6dof.

what i can say is that its great not having to wear a hat or the Trackclip pro, just being able to 'fly' and have headtracking without wearing any peripheral was a really nice change. id recommend tbh if you play more games than DCS, hopefully if the demand for TOBII integration increases ED can devote some dev time to integrate it as well as star citizen has.

Wow, so there is a workaround to have 6DOF in DCS with facetrackNoIR? I thought that with DCS and 5C you could only get 3DOF which is okay, but I'd really want to have the ability to zoom in and cange camera elevation. 

Plus, for me the cost of Tobii and TrackIR about the same, so really wondering which one to pick.

Edited by Left Wing
  • Thanks 1

Modules:

MiG-15bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24, FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, AH-64D, AJS 37 Viggen,  F-5E, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B/NA, JF-17, C-101, Bf 109 K-4, Fw-190 A8, Fw-190 D9, F-86F, P-47D-30, P-51D, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI

Maps/Mods:

Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Normandy, Marianas, SC, CA, A-4E, MB-339

Well, track IR hasn’t been updated in years. Tobii is new, does what track ir does and has eye tracking which while a relatively new tech will be more widely adopted (probably) 

you don’t need to wear a hat or attach something to your headset. 

I can also say the build quality of the Tobii (metal) is far higher than the plastic of the trackIR and the track clip pro is notoriously flimsy.

• Like 2

small update, one of the TOBII devs i messaged said they had manageds to get 6dof working in DCS and the update will be released in the next tobii game hub update!!!!

• Thanks 1

Hey! yeah, I saw it on the Tobii Discord channel as well! Just got the device yesterday and set it up using FacetrackNoIR - works very well! Was worried about it not being responsive/smooth, but turned out to be really good! Now just need to tweak the settings slightly for the curves whle I wait for the update to drop. Is there any time frame in which the update is expected/ How often does tobii usually update the game hub?

Modules:

Maps/Mods:

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaaaand it out! Now only need to figure out the best settings 😄

Modules:

Maps/Mods:

yep, very happy its out, although this update did kill support for IL2, i guess facetracknoir will do for that

• Like 1

Hello guys, could you confirm me that 6DOF is working with last Gamehub version 2.3.1 ?

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

On 2/9/2021 at 9:24 PM, clanitho said:

Hello guys, could you confirm me that 6DOF is working with last Gamehub version 2.3.1 ?

Hey clanhito, yes, everything is working in 2.3.1

• Like 1

Modules:

Maps/Mods:

I just placed my order for the Tobii 5c, mainly because of the the last update that enabled 6DOF in DCS.  Maybe it will arrive in "2 weeks" just in time for the new clouds.. lol

Cheers. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

welcome to the tobii club

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:45 AM, Snowblind said:

welcome to the tobii club

Thanks!   Very nice product. I am enjoying my new "Freedom" away from the 7 year old TrackIR and  the Hat Clip. LoL.

So far so good. I like the Tobii GameHub and how all of those 29 settings that can be tweaked to suit my preference and comfort levels.

• Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 3 weeks later...

so now you've had it a few weeks, what do you think? i've gone back to facetracknoir for the software as it seems to be smoother than the tobii software, and more curve customisation. other than that id say the tracking is on par with track ir 5.

Hi Guys,

seems that some folks here can compare Trackir to Tobi.

I recently tried out facetracknoir with a PS3-EYE-cam and got it to work. I wanted to get rid of the trackclip/hat for Trackir, with which I was completely happy otherwise - the tracking is flawless and has very little input lag.

That is my biggest issue with FTN though. It works but compared with Trackir it has an incredible input lag - at least when you trim the curves to get an comparable smooth experience.

How is the smoothness and input lag of tobii compared with trackir? Could you share your experience if you have any?

Thank you!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

i believe you have to point the dcs exe to the tobii gamehub

@Hiob the input lag is a slight bit higher but only very very slightly compared to TIR5,  using either FTnoir or tobiigamehub, personally i get a smoother and more customisable experience from FT compared to tobiigamehub

On 3/12/2021 at 6:12 AM, Snowblind said:

so now you've had it a few weeks, what do you think? i've gone back to facetracknoir for the software as it seems to be smoother than the tobii software, and more curve customisation. other than that id say the tracking is on par with track ir 5.

Hi Snowblind and all, 

So far I am enjoying the Tobii 5C.  I feel I will be tweaking the DCS World Tobii GameHub settings for many weeks to come.  I had the TrackIR5 for years before I found good information on how to set proper curves.

Since Eyetracking is new to me, I think I will need 100 hours of play to get used eye tracking movement in concert with head tracking movement. I also have FaceTracknoIR but will stick with GameHub until I get more comfortable with Tobii eye tracking.

I did find that changing the plethora of settings was mandatory in getting crisp head tracking similar to TrackIR5.

I DO NOT miss wearing a my goofy cap or headphones with a Track-Clip PRO.. the Freedom is appreciated and the fact the Tobii works great in all light conditions is a bonus. 

Anyone can search Internet to find  many Tobii tips or reference for settings.  The two most useful links for me thus far have been:

1. Tobii Eye Tracker 5 Settings 180 Degrees DCS by azayomi
  2. How to use Eye Tracking features in ETS2 & ATS by Tobii

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bebop1200 said:

Thanks for your help Snowblind tried the FTnoir that did not work.  The crazy thing is I tried doing a repair one more time

and that must of done it.  Tobii working just fine now.  A big time how strange is that moment.  

I have noticed a few times when starting DCS World with Tobii Tracker 5 that it would not detect properly.

• One Tip I picked up was to open up the Tobii gamehub DCS World Profile and quickly Disable and Enable it again. 

@YSIAD_RIP ah i see, im not using eye tracking at all, just using it as a head tracker, i use sys track and head track for star citizen but for dps its just too much movemement for me in such small cockpits.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was so pleased by the Tobii  5 and DCS finally supporting all 6 DOF.

But does anyone know how to get it to work with the open beta? Seems like it's always trying to detect the release version. Tried to rename folders, copy or link binaries to trick it, but nothing worked.