ATFLIR vs LITENING II AT

toilet2000

There seems to be a lot of contradicting opinions on this point, so I wanted to see if some of you have better info on this. As far as I know in 2005, the ATFLIR was a slightly better pod feature-wise with a better optical zoom (3 FOVs), but much more expensive and less available (initial production rate).

So what other differences are there in terms of usage?

Off the top of my head:
- Pod FOV should appear in the JHMCS.

- The adapter for the pod has a built-in NAVFLIR.

- Overall less weight and drag (smaller profile, more comparable to the NITE Hawk).

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Based on what I've read I wouldn't expect much of a difference apart from symbology, 3 FOV levels instead of two, auto stepping FOV when max/min zoom is reached and different and better A/A mechanization/modes (which is a function of OFP but by the time ATFLIR was introduced the old mechanization which is currently ingame was long gone).

Would be surprised to see any NAVFLIR stuff considering it hasn't been used or trained with in a very long time, and if it was ever used it was for a very short period AFAIK. I'm not even confident the NAVFLIR still appears in any documentation, all that I've seen seems to completely ignore it.

Edited by Santi871

1 hour ago, Santi871 said:

Based on what I've read I wouldn't expect much of a difference apart from symbology, 3 FOV levels instead of two, auto stepping FOV when max/min zoom is reached and different and better A/A mechanization/modes (which is a function of OFP but by the time ATFLIR was introduced the old mechanization which is currently ingame was long gone).

Would be surprised to see any NAVFLIR stuff considering it hasn't been used or trained with in a very long time, and if it was ever used it was for a very short period AFAIK. I'm not even confident the NAVFLIR still appears in any documentation, all that I've seen seems to completely ignore it.

Offset should work (or be implemented) differently than the offset function in the DCS version of the litening pod. We have available video footage this time of the ATFLIR offset function being used, so I guess that should help. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 7:47 PM, Santi871 said:

Meh, if the pod and aircraft is capable it ideally should - I mean this was essentially the same point that was brought up about the A/G RADAR.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

19 hours ago, Santi871 said:

better A/A mechanization/modes (which is a function of OFP but by the time ATFLIR was introduced the old mechanization which is currently ingame was long gone).

What's the difference in the AA department? I didn't know it was better. 

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

31 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

What's the difference in the AA department? I didn't know it was better. 

The current A/A mechanization ingame like RRSLV and such belong to older OFPs that predate things like MSI or az/el page entirely. The same OFP that introduced those things replaced RRSLV with L&S/BST/MSI track slaving. You can read about them in a certain wiki if you google them. By the time ATFLIR was introduced things like RRSLV were long gone.

Edited by Santi871
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1