New Rig - Ryzen 9 5900x + PALIT RTX 3090 ?

Yeah it is a silly large amount of money - it hurt. I always think the CPUs deprecate quicker than GPUs, but who knows. Plus a current high end GPU will probably be able to do a mid range job in 4 years but a mid range card now will worthless by then but yes you've paid less. Its all very subjective. I just wanted to share my experience as I am more glad now than I was two weeks ago considering the recent news. I would encourage anyone on the fence for a 3090 to go for it, but its really dependant on personal circumstances.

P.s Anyone wanna buy a used, used 1080ti..... 🤣 

30 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

...I know the current shortage situation makes people go a little bit crazy (OM this card is in stock, I should get it before it's too late) but sometimes it helps to take a breath.

That’s just it. How many breaths are taken sitting by the computer for hours on end, waiting for restocks, only to get beaten by the 1000s of people (and autofill bots) doing the exact same thing?

Meanwhile, suppliers and retailers are finding excuses to jack prices. The US tariff is a good excuse, even for cards not destined for the US. That could alleviate when stock normalizes/tariffs are cut, but they know people will pay.

As for the 2080ti, it should have taken a nose dive in price, but in practice, it hasn’t.

Very valid arguements both ways, thank you.

I guess my thinking is this: I've been reading the VR forums for the last few months. There, users with rigs comprable to the one I'm proposing are having excellent experiences in VR with the G2, with pretty high settings all round. So unless ED make changes that are going to drag those high end user experiences down (which I image would seriously damage their less well equipped customer base) I'd hope I'd have no reason at all to upgrade anything for at least the next 5 years. It's not like I'm going to get bored with (or get near to mastering!) what's available now.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

I fly DCS in VR with a Reverb G2, and can confirm you'll want more than 10GB of VRAM if you want to keep Terrain Textures on HIGH, especially in The Channel and Syria, and probably in the upcoming Marianas as well.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I fly DCS in VR with a Reverb G2, and can confirm you'll want more than 10GB of VRAM if you want to keep Terrain Textures on HIGH, especially in The Channel and Syria, and probably in the upcoming Marianas as well.

That could actually explain why I have to keep them on "low" for Syria with only 8GB. Though not sure about Marianas, how much VRAM does water use? 🤣

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

37 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

how much VRAM does water use?

Over water you'll be fine, but have you looked at the detail at the islands themselves? That will be a stutter-fest if you're out of VRAM.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

Things cost money. Don't spend time justifying your purchases to random strangers on the Internet.

If they have the Asus Strix and you have the budget then do that.

Personally, for as much as I like flying in DCS I have no issues spending that kind of money on a video card if I get the satisfaction out of it. Time is limited and when I get a chance to sit in the pit I want it to be as awesome as is reasonable/practical.

$0.02

• Like 1

Indeed, I use the "comfort principle": spend money on things you spend the most of your time on. For me that's my motorcycle, my home cinema system, and DCS (aka my PC).

• Like 1
Spoiler

3 hours ago, reece146 said:

Things cost money. Don't spend time justifying your purchases to random strangers on the Internet.

If they have the Asus Strix and you have the budget then do that.

Personally, for as much as I like flying in DCS I have no issues spending that kind of money on a video card if I get the satisfaction out of it. Time is limited and when I get a chance to sit in the pit I want it to be as awesome as is reasonable/practical.

$0.02

+1

Edited by Hoirtel

Well the 3090RTX is definitely the best card I've ever owned. No buyers remorse at all. Had great fun playing through Cyberpunk as well with all the bells and whistles on. It will be interesting to see if the improvements in DCS World 2.7 will make better use of our GPUs.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

- One thing you should keep in mind is that for now, SAM (resizeable BAR) only works with AMD graphics cards. Apparently a way to make it work with nVidia cards is being worked on, but it's not here yet;
- Also, as Jeti stated if you have the opportunity to get 3600MHz CL16 RAM, get that instead so you can run Infinity Fabric 1-1 at 1800MHz;
- Personally I had issues with using the USB-C port on my motherboard with my own Reverb G2, so if you can get a graphics card with USB-C that would be a nice thing to have. I take it they are rare these days, but at least it'll work;
- If you can get a 280mm AOI instead of the 240mm one, I'd go for that (providing you can fit it into your case): larger fans = lower rpm needed = less noise. I have the H115i RGB Platinum;
- I personally never heard of PALIT so can't comment on that;
- Overclocking is indeed less needed these days: my 5900X comfortably boosts to 4.95GHz. You can play around with  PBO in your BIOS if you feel so inclined, but personally I don't bother.

Hi Raven,

Got my new 5900X rig with an ASUS Strix 3090.

Everything looking good until I tried the G2 and experienced the problem you mentioned with the 570 motherboard USB ports. WMR was unable to communicate with the G2.

I had a PCIe 4 port USB 3 card in my old rig so installed that and that seemed to resolve the problem. However, now it seems to work well in both WMR and Steam for a few minutes and then suddenly everything rotates and I'm suspended upside down!

The card has regular size USB ports and I'm using the USB-C adaptor which HP kindly ship with the G2.

Any suggestions ? Is there a specifc USB card spec I need to use ? or maybe a powered USB hub maybe ?

I've also read that some users changed PCIe 4.0 back to PCIe 3.0 in the BIOS and that resolved the issue for them for the motherboard ports.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

...appear to have resolved this myself.

I have an external USB 3 hub, which is switchable between 2 machines (so I can use same keyboard and mouse for either machine with the push of a button). This is plugged into one of the rear USB 3 motherboard ports on the X570.

I removed the keyboard and mouse dongles from that hub, relocated them temporarily in my x570 rig front ports, then plugged the G2 into one of the ports. The G2 now works perfectly !

Don't understand how, as the port the hub is plugged into on the X570 is one I already tried unsuccessfully with the G2, but I'm not complaining.

Now of course I'll have to get an additional one of those hubs, as that one is for keyboard and mouse and located on my desk

Yes I specifically looked for a graphics card with USB-C port to avoid all that nonsense. I have a USB-C to USB3 hub connected to the motherboard, which I use for all my fixed wing controls and the Razer Orbweaver that I use for additional macroes.

nVidia seemed to have moved away from having USB-C available on their graphics cards, which is a shame, but at least AMD still offers it on their reference models and some AIBs.

I have a Gigabyte 6900XT and I have the G2 plugged in there: both DP and USB-C, and it works flawlessly 🙂

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
Spoiler