Trim sensitivity

Tusky

Hi all!

I'm new to the A-10 and my apologies if this was asked before (the search option didn't bring up anything relevant)...

Question: is there a way to reduce trim sensitivity? Trimming the aircraft is very difficult and it seems I'm always overtrimming even if I operate the trim hat very briefly.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Xamik75 said:

I'm always overtrimming even if I operate the trim hat very briefly.

I have the same problem. I can't operate the trim hat any shorter than I already do.

Greetings, Nils :joystick:

--

i7 4790k, RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM

I think the plane will never be properly trimmed as it is influenced by so many factors like speed, wind, air pressure, air resistance, weightchange (dropping bombs, burning fuel). It is a process and you have to adjust the trim constantly.

hace 7 minutos, Hive dijo:

I think the plane will never be properly trimmed as it is influenced by so many factors like speed, wind, air pressure, air resistance, weightchange (dropping bombs, burning fuel). It is a process and you have to adjust the trim constantly.

My original post was not referring to the impossibility to keep a trim OVER TIME but to the fact that even if I operate the hat trim switch for a millisecond (0.001s), the applied trim seems too much; at the present state, I find it impossible to fine trim the plane.

Put it another way, my question is: is there a way to reduce [trim applied/second]?

Edited by Xamik75

On 1/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, thrustvector said:

its easier to use the trim control to the left of the throttle, for instance you are overloaded on one side just a click or two will level you out, use the hat for something else, TMS?

To the left of the throttle I se only the Yaw trim knob.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 1/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, thrustvector said:

its easier to use the trim control to the left of the throttle, for instance you are overloaded on one side just a click or two will level you out, use the hat for something else, TMS?

If you can control trim by using the trim hat on the emergency flight control panel without switching to “EMER OVERRIDE” it’s a bug.  I personally haven’t tried it in DCS.

hace 52 minutos, Snoopy dijo:

You absolutely can trim the A-10 to straight and level flight in DCS without using the autopilot.  It just takes patients.

No doubt! But if the trim control were a bit less "rushy", it would be better! 🙂

You know, they could implement either some sort of trim sensitivity bar or a progressive trim (it starts slow and then it increases the speed) like in other flight simulators... 😉

sorry yes that's yaw, didn't read your question properly, i dont usually have a prob with it. but you do need to do it on the fly, as bomb weights and diff loadouts make a big diff to the plane.

what stick have you got? as some with small axis controls will/can be use easier for trimming all round

2 hours ago, Xamik75 said:

No doubt! But if the trim control were a bit less "rushy", it would be better! 🙂

You know, they could implement either some sort of trim sensitivity bar or a progressive trim (it starts slow and then it increases the speed) like in other flight simulators... 😉

sure but how it is now in DCS is realistic

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 1

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to spend time achieving perfect trim over just popping on one of the excellent autopilot modes. I live in autopilot in the Warthog - ascending/descending I use PATH, level flight ALT/HDG and ALT to circle a target area. For Maverick deployment I'll even angle down towards a target area and pop it in PATH, then my hands and attention are free to slew mavs at multiple targets. Also for GBU-38s I can line up roughly with the CCRP fall line, engage ALT-HDG and again I'm free to slew and designate SPIs on targets to pickle off mutiple GPS guided bombs - and this also works well for single laser guided bomb deployment. I'm pretty sure this is common practice IRL and explains why there's a dedicated autopilot engage/disengage button under your ring finger on the Warthog throttle.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

hace 3 horas, shaun57 dijo:

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to spend time achieving perfect trim over just popping on one of the excellent autopilot modes. 

A/R Refuelling, for instance. Of course, no PERFECT trim necessary but at least a trim which allows some minute corrections.

But again, if the trim responsiveness is as it is on the real plane, the discussion is closed. 🙂

Agreed, and it's pretty easy to get NEAR perfect trim in the warthog in a few seconds. By comparison I really struggle to get close in the Viper with an asymetric load (roll trim only obviously)

I still can't AAR to safe my life (literally!) and no amout of perfect trim is gonna help. Just got to put the hours in when I get round to it.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards