FA 18c Hornet Nose Wheel

• Robert Ives changed the title to FA 18c Hornet Nose Wheel
  • ED Team

Seems to be working correctly here, can you include a short track replay showing the issue, it will be easier to see what you have going on.

you can save a track replay when you exit the mission, please make it as short as possible to show the problem. 

Also check your bindings for nws in controls 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If your mission begins with the Hornet started up and on the ground, NWS is enabled automatically and the HUD shows "NWS". Also when you land, as soon as you have WOW (weight on wheels) NWS is automatically activated. If you see the NWS indication but the steering does not react to your pedal input, I would suspect you have duplicate bindings on the rudder axis. Unfortunately DCS World tends to do that in a newly installed aircraft. So you might have the Rudder bound to "JOY_RZ" not only on your rudder but also on the joystick, throttle and even on a button box that has no axis at all.
Go to Options/Controls and select the "Axis Commands" category. Then go through the axis bindings like Pitch, Roll, Rudder, Wheel Brakes L & R etc. and make sure none of the axis commands has bindings in more than one column.

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 1/11/2021 at 10:41 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Seems to be working correctly here, can you include a short track replay showing the issue, it will be easier to see what you have going on.

you can save a track replay when you exit the mission, please make it as short as possible to show the problem. 

Also check your bindings for nws in controls 

thanks

Thank you, The command S from the key board was registering on the Hud NWS however it was not working in gameplay, after designating it to a Joystick button it now responds and is working

On 1/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, Robert Ives said:

Thank you, The command S from the key board was registering on the Hud NWS however it was not working in gameplay, after designating it to a Joystick button it now responds and is working

If the "NWS" or "NWS Hi" shows on the HUD but nosewheel steering is not engaged, that would be a bug in my opinion. But the commands "S" for engaging NWS and "A" for disengaging NWS work fine on my system, so I cannot confirm that there is a bug.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...

Regarding the F18c nosewheel activation, I too recently had some issue with the "S" key; good to find LeCuvier's post about the weight-on-wheels trigger for NWS. Also, I found that holding "S" is essential for getting minimum radius turns from F18c's NW, such as on carrier deck.

53 minutes ago, salsantana said:

Regarding the F18c nosewheel activation, I too recently had some issue with the "S" key; good to find LeCuvier's post about the weight-on-wheels trigger for NWS. Also, I found that holding "S" is essential for getting minimum radius turns from F18c's NW, such as on carrier deck.

The one other thing with nosewheel steering is that if your wings are UNFOLDED you must HOLD the NWS button for NWS HI.  If your wings are FOLDED then the NWS button will toggle NWS HI on/off.  Likely if you need to hold the S to get tight turns your wings are unfolded already.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:28 PM, rob10 said:

The one other thing with nosewheel steering is that if your wings are UNFOLDED you must HOLD the NWS button for NWS HI.  If your wings are FOLDED then the NWS button will toggle NWS HI on/off.  Likely if you need to hold the S to get tight turns your wings are unfolded already.

Thank you for this. I have had that hold needed or not variation for a long time. Never could figure out why. I thought maybe it was something that was set in various missions by the writer. Now I know. 

Yeah that is for carrier maneuvering.  If wings are folded up likely because on a carrier and will need the hi rate of NWS to get around on the deck.

At least that is my rationale for the difference.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 3/27/2021 at 4:28 PM, rob10 said:

This is actually not correct, but close.

If your wings are "unlocked" - NWS HI gain will not require you to hold NWS button.  You can simply unlock them and don't have to fold them.

If your wings are "locked" - you do have to hold NWS button to maintain NWS HI gain.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Thanks 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria