Controller bindings randomly missing and changing

I have a warthog throttle and a VKB Gladiator stick with logitech pro pedals.

Random settings keep changing, getting mixed up and disappearing. I can't understand why...

My throttle and pedals are permanently plugged in. I do detach my joystick every once in a while.

I just went to fly again today and all my joystick bindings are mixed up again.

Throttle mapped to my joystick for some reason and flaps not bound to my throttle anymore. Random things keep getting mapped to my rudder pedals for some reason. I delete them and they keep remapping.

I constantly have to go back and remap things. I was hoping this would stop at some point but it is becoming incredibly irritating.

It is mildly soul crushing to sit down to play only to find random bindings are missing mid flight.

Is there a cause(!) and solution to this? 😞

I literally don't want to fire up DCS right now because I don't feel like randomly remapping missing and mixed up controller bindings any more.

AMD 5950X - AMD 6900XT Red Devil - Reverb G2

Virpil WarBRD base - Virpil Constellation Stick - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle - Logitech Pro Pedals

Get some!

is this happening on a specific module? i have started DCS without having the input devices connected. close and restart with the connected, my controls were what i set them as. with little info it could be all sorts of problems causing this.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I only play warbirds - P51, Spitfire and 109.

It happens with all of them randomly. Perfect example was with the Spitfire last time (I play in vr): Joystick hat no longer controlled trim, double throttle added to joystick which conflicted with actual throttle setting, throttle flaps weren't mapped, cockpit / map view not mapped to throttle. But other settings I had previously mapped were there.

I just did a full deinstall -> deleted DCS content folder -> reinstall. I will see if this changes things. Ugh... For a game that relies heavily on joystick mappings I would expect them to be handled more securely...

Virpil WarBRD base - Virpil Constellation Stick - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle - Logitech Pro Pedals

Get some!

This is a long shot, but do you have any wireless game controllers, like a gamepad? I've sometimes had a PS4 controller (connecting via Bluetooth) that I had deleted from the DCS controls profile reappear and take over some controls. I didn't notice at first because the PS4 controller appeared all the way to the right in the DCS control configuration screen, so I had to scroll over to see what was going on. 

Like I said, a long shot, but...

I don't have any wireless controllers. This is actually my photo and video editing workstation. I don't have issues with anything else on the system. It's a workhorse.

I did a clean deinstall and reinstall. I just haven't had the stomach to sit down and remap everything... I'd rather have... "fun"... So I've been playing IL2 where everything just works.

I will report back here when I am in the mood to remap all the bindings for 3 planes and then wait to see if they start disappearing again 🙂

Strange I seem to be the only person on the planet with this issue.

Edited by DetroiTechno

Get some!

2 hours ago, DetroiTechno said:

I just haven't had the stomach to sit down and remap everything... I'd rather have... "fun"...

To avoid a remap, just make a backup of your ..../Saved Games/DCS/Config/Input folder.

If having issues , just put the backup back and you're in business again...having "fun".

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

OMG my flaps aren't mapped again...

Some other custom mappings are there. But my flaps have been remapped to the default Warthog position and not to where I custom mapped them.

Why are some of my mappings changing and others stay the same?

What the **** is going on?

Update: I submitted a support ticket...

Edited by DetroiTechno

Get some!

• 1 month later...

I started to get this issue too recently (around 3 days ago)
Mid game, while in the cockpit, some assignments stopped working. 
Happened twice on the F/A-18 and once on the F-16.

It doesn't affect all controls, axis assignments stay, as well as some other. Notice it mainly when the NWS stops working. On the F16 I can't remember what didn't work, it happened mid air and had to be 'solved' quickly.

To solve this, select the affected controller input column and select 'load profile', then simply select again the configuration file for the controller (the one from the config/input/... folder.. not even selecting a selectively stored profile, just the whole controller config file)

This never happened before (except once the GUID changes.. but thats another story). But in the last 5 flights I had this 3 times already... did something change in this regards in one of the more recent updates?

I didn't check if the binding disappears in the input mapping UI, but since restoring the very same input config that was used when launching the game I would assume so.

Edited by SquishyDurp

• 1 year later...

@DetroiTechno I have the same problems that you describe.
My throttle remains connected to the same usb port, its pid and vid are unchanged and yet DCS applied some sort of default button mapping and overwrote the bindings I had created making lots of bindings I did not add, and at least some that I added got reused/reallocated elsewhere in the profile.
I have not found any solution. Response to support ticket was not helpful. 

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

• 3 months later...

Noticed you are playing VR... couple of things I've noticed (and no you are not the only one, for some reason they just don't prioritize this horrible implementation), #1 if I map my controls in 2d, they do not carry forward to VR, #2 There are apparently different models of P51, and even though they don't show up in the options, they do have different folders, so if you map one of them, and then the sim puts you in a different one you will lose your mappings.

I came here looking for a solution to this so don't have it figured out, but these are some things I've discovered that can help.

• 3 months later...

I have similar things happen. 
On Open-Beta, Warthog HOTAS, Assorted warbirds more often than not.

I’ve had the Comms menu bound to a press of the thumb button on the throttle. It barely ever recognises it any more but when I check the control options by pressing it, it’ll flash up as if it’s fine. Double clicking on it shows it missing so I redo it, save profile, twice, and scratch my head as to why it isn’t working. I’ve loaded older profiles that worked previously but they’re not behaving either. 

After having a closer look, I seem to have the button bound incorrectly. My mistake.

Edited by Slippa
My mistake