Non-functional throttle axis in Hot Start at Runway.

Fri13

Is there a known problem with incapability move a throttle, before I start making bug reports?

I reset all bindings and DCS sees throttle axis properly (as in any other module) moving.

But in Harrier the throttle doesn't move. I need to unlatch the throttle to off to get it moving between off and idle but engine shuts off then.

I can bind another axis that moves nozzle lever properly as throttle but throttle doesn't move anywhere.

Same time as well many other things goes crazy, but Harrier is like stuck to "limbo".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thank to all. I have not flown Harrier for a while and previously I have had the cold start or air start, but now I made the hot start on runway.

It is odd for me that a parking brake is ON when you are hot and ready to go on runway. Hot on parking slot would make sense, and of course cold-start but not on the runway.

Like if a F/A-18C or F-16CM would have their parking brakes ON when starting from the runway, it would be odd for all, don't you think?

Or is it a standard procedure for Harrier pilots to activate the parking brake after taxiing to runway and preparing for take-off?

I don't know about Real Life tm  but I think that it is a concession to gameplay since the change was made to allow the Harrier to taxi on idle power. In real life, there is no such thing as jumping into a hot jet on the runway with everything running. I would imagine real pilots would just hold the wheel brakes after taxiing to the runway.

Edited by Recluse
live to life

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

It is odd for me that a parking brake is ON when you are hot and ready to go on runway. Hot on parking slot would make sense, and of course cold-start but not on the runway.

Like if a F/A-18C or F-16CM would have their parking brakes ON when starting from the runway, it would be odd for all, don't you think?

I don't know about the F/A-18C or Harrier* but applying the parking brake while awaiting takeoff clearance is standard procedure for the Mirage i.e. there have been 2 Mirage accident reports (2008 and 2013) were the pilot "forgot" to release the brake.

https://www.defense.gouv.fr/content/download/395731/5929409/Télécharger le rapport public BEAD-air-A-2013-014-I.pdf

The Harrier's parking brake throttle stop prevents such an accident.

*The 2012 AV-8B VMAT-203 Flight Syllabus Guide, says a common taxiing error is

• Forgetting to set the parking brake and turn off the NWS (anti-skid switch – on) when stopped. 

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 weeks later...

I just find it still odd in the Harrier, as the wheel brake is in so difficult place behind the throttle. Unlike with others like Hornet or Viper where the parking brake is just a pull grip next to wheels lever. As in Hornet you have the throttle aft for idle, and the parking brake is released when it is forward. So to activate parking brake, one needs to pull the parking brake to aft, behind the throttle. And then to release it, one needs to get hand around throttle and behind it to move it forward.

In the mentioned Mirage 2000 report, the brake lever is on right side of the ejection seat - like a car hand brake lever. But that was in the France, so how it goes in the USMC with Harrier is still a question.

In the Harrier the brake lever is as well connected to the INS system, where if you do not have brake applied, then the INS alignment is gone if you turn engine Off.

Dont' really know but read about that connection.

I don't now get the bottom one "Forgetting to set the parking brake and turn off the NWS (anti-skid switch – on) when stopped."

Stopped where? For parking I understand. But for momentarily stop at end of taxiing way before turning to runway... Don't get it.

And is the "To set the parking brake" as "Set Parking Brake ON" or "Release Parking Brake before taxiing"?

But gameplay wise it makes sense to have the parking brake active as otherwise you start rolling on the moment you jump to Hot aircraft on airstrip (not in the parking slot). So there would be panics to push brakes and accidents when someone just doesn't notice they started to roll up to 50 knots speed even with engine idle.