F-16 MFDs were so easy ... and "cheap"

Stringer52

Enjoy them!!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Actually, I was surprised it was so easy. My biggest stumbling block was that I thought it was something I had to accomplish through the Helios program, since it was the first thing I encountered when I began to think of of exporting the panel. I had a "eureka moment" when, while scrolling through some posts about home cockpits, I picked up a fragment of a post where the writer said something about you only need Helio to export the panels, not the actual display. That was done inside DCS with the monitor setups. From there I was on my way and in about 15 minutes had it up and running.

My next step is building some panels with switches, but I haven't progressed enough in the F-16 to know which ones I need at my fingertips during flight. I don't, for example, want to make one for turning on the battery, since I'm satisfied using the one in the sim.

12 hours ago, Stringer52 said:

Actually, I was surprised it was so easy. My biggest stumbling block was that I thought it was something I had to accomplish through the Helios program, since it was the first thing I encountered when I began to think of of exporting the panel. I had a "eureka moment" when, while scrolling through some posts about home cockpits, I picked up a fragment of a post where the writer said something about you only need Helio to export the panels, not the actual display. That was done inside DCS with the monitor setups. From there I was on my way and in about 15 minutes had it up and running.

My next step is building some panels with switches, but I haven't progressed enough in the F-16 to know which ones I need at my fingertips during flight. I don't, for example, want to make one for turning on the battery, since I'm satisfied using the one in the sim.

I think with Helios you could add windows displays to the remaining monitor space to show for instance RWR or DED. Or analog anemometer and altimeter. But like you mentioned, for MFDs only you are golden witinh DCS own options.
Enjoy!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Yes, that's true about Helios.

I've always had mixed feelings about panels taken outside the sim. To have one in front of me and yet have the one in the sim swinging around as I look around with TrackIR seems less immersive. There's even a learning curve just reminding my brain that I don't have to look for the MFDs in the sim that at first almost covers the same amount of time as it does to reach for mouse and then focus on the screen.

It also seems as if I'm finding myself still looking at the screens in the sim to make sure they show what my panels are showing. Only natural, I suppose.

There might even be a name for that phenomena and a study that looks whether you save any time or not. If not, you PhD candidates out there, might be a good topic for a thesis ... LOL

Can you use these without panels, just the buttons mapped to the MFD functions? I'm thinking it would be great also for VR to save having to use a mouse, pointing device or controller to select the MFD functions. I already select certain functions by feel using the keyboard so I'm sure I could quickly get used to pressing the correct MFD button by feel also and it would be much faster and more immersive than reaching for a controller or mouse.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, AlpineGTA said:

Can you use these without panels, just the buttons mapped to the MFD functions? I'm thinking it would be great also for VR to save having to use a mouse, pointing device or controller to select the MFD functions. I already select certain functions by feel using the keyboard so I'm sure I could quickly get used to pressing the correct MFD button by feel also and it would be much faster and more immersive than reaching for a controller or mouse.

Yes they work great on VR.

• Like 1