IFF in multiplayer

Savvy

No, DCS doesn't simulate IFF transponders at all. They're all just magically working, so you can sucessfully interrogate any aircraft, including WW2 aircraft and aerobatic aircraft like the Christen Eagle II.

I know that's ridiculous for such a high level flight sim like DCS, but that's just how it is :sad:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

35 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

No, DCS doesn't simulate IFF transponders at all. They're all just magically working, so you can sucessfully interrogate any aircraft, including WW2 aircraft and aerobatic aircraft like the Christen Eagle II.

I know that's ridiculous for such a high level flight sim like DCS, but that's just how it is :sad:

Any plans for detailed IFF in DCS?

24 minutes ago, Jonne said:

Well the JF-17 does it, but that is between JF-17s only.

True :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Barbar said:

Any plans for detailed IFF in DCS?

I'm not aware of any public announcement of this kind, but it seems like ED is expanding those features slowly, as can be seen on the latest changes on the Hornet.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

22 hours ago, Savvy said:

So it doesn't really matter for IFF if it's turned on or off. It's just magically on all the time?

I ask because I was shot down by a friendly the other day in multiplayer and was told I should've had my IFF on.

Yes, it is magically on all the time (even in aircraft that don't have an IFF system!). The only exception to that is the JF-17 when interrogating another JF-17.
Whoever said that to you either flew a JF-17 and you flew a JF-17 too, or he is an idiot.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I've recently tested the Viggen IFF with two buddies in Hornets. They told me they first saw me as red (enemy) before I switched on my IFF.

Since then, I always turn it on.

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

Yes, it is magically on all the time (even in aircraft that don't have an IFF system!). The only exception to that is the JF-17 when interrogating another JF-17.
Whoever said that to you either flew a JF-17 and you flew a JF-17 too, or he is an idiot.

Nope, I was in Viggen and they were in 18's/14's from memory. Might have to do some testing considering Flappies experience.

I've just tested this myself on a multiplayer test mission with two computers in the same room. F18 sitting behind a Viggen at about 20miles.

The SA and radar pages on the 18 quickly show the Viggen as friendly regardless of whether IFF is on or off. It never showed the half circle on the hud though I presume that's due to no other donor aircraft on the datalink. I could probably test that by putting an awacs in the mission.

5 hours ago, Savvy said:

I presume that's due to no other donor aircraft on the datalink.

That's correct.

• Thanks 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 1/13/2021 at 2:38 AM, Savvy said:

I've just tested this myself on a multiplayer test mission with two computers in the same room. F18 sitting behind a Viggen at about 20miles.

The SA and radar pages on the 18 quickly show the Viggen as friendly regardless of whether IFF is on or off. It never showed the half circle on the hud though I presume that's due to no other donor aircraft on the datalink. I could probably test that by putting an awacs in the mission.

Does it mean the Hornet first shows a contact as red by default before the IFF interrogation is done?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.