Correct voice accents.

westr

I would like to see relevant voice accents for the units of certain countries. For example, the Mirage 2000c seems a bit odd with the pilot speaking American English. English with a French accent would be perfect for the module. Flying the spitfire or the harrier for the uk seems a little strange with an American English accent. I’m sure it’s a bit of an undertaking but if the atc is being revamped I would love to see this implemented. Currently the Russian aircraft have Russian comms which is great and appropriate, as well as American aircraft. 
this is a wish list so you can but ask. 

• Like 6

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

+1 personally the more voices the better, including different accents (it will reduce the attack of the clones vibe whereby every single ATC voice is the same, as with pilots, crew chiefs, JTACs, AEW etc) of course so long as storage space permits.

I also wonder about a selectable pilot voice? With different accents and also genders (like that other sim).

Edited by Northstar98
grammar
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This is why I suggested implementing actual Text to Speech engine.  The current digitized voices are actually sound files from Microsoft Zira which is probably is the worst one.  Text to Speech engine thesedays have gotten very natural with various accents.  You can try them on your Windows Text to Speech setting.  You need to download different accents however.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 8:15 AM, westr said:

Currently the Russian aircraft have Russian comms which is great

And a Russian accent when speaking English.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• 11 months later...

I may be able to accept accents in voice-overs where the voice-actors' accents are genuine; what I can really do without are cringe-worthy fake accents that permeate US-"culture" movies and games (you know, the cheap voice-actor who impersonates some random German dude and keeps yelling "Acktoonck!" when a real German would say "Achtung!" (or rather, "Vorsicht!" - a word that few native-English-speakers can pronounce correctly unless they had extensive linguistic training) etc.). But I would like to ask: do we really need aural 'local color' that merely helps cementing silly tropes and questionable stereotypes? Whatever for?

From personal experience, I can completely do without accents in radio telephony. They can make understanding what is to be conveyed unnecessarily difficult and are an impediment rather than asset. Especially for non-native English speakers like me (who, I admit, contribute to this problem). They can be a real issue (strongly-accented foreigners talking fast, or people who speak some localized/rural English that only their mother can understand), and I don't think we should replicate that here. So, authentic accent, perhaps. 'Simulated' accents? Ye gods!

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cfrag said:

I may be able to accept accents in voice-overs where the voice-actors' accents are genuine; what I can really do without are cringe-worthy fake accents that permeate US-"culture" movies and games (you know, the cheap voice-actor who impersonates some random German dude and keeps yelling "Acktoonck!" when a real German would say "Achtung!" (or rather, "Vorsicht!") etc.). But I would like to ask: do we really need aural 'local color' that merely helps cementing silly tropes and questionable stereotypes? Whatever for?

They can make understanding what is to be conveyed unnecessarily difficult and are an impediment rather than asset. Especially for non-native English speakers like me (who, I admit, contribute to this problem). They can be a real issue (strongly-accented foreigners talking fast, or people who speak some localized/rural English that only their mother can understand), and I don't think we should replicate that here. So, authentic accent, perhaps. 'Simulated' accents? Ye gods!

Isn't this what the radio subtitles are for? Though I will agree that genuine/native accents > fake accents.

Personally, the lack of variety in the radio chatter is one of the more obvious downsides to DCS, and I think that we should have at least a dedicated voice actor, with a genuine accent for each nationality of aircraft we have, even better would be a voice for each country we have on our maps, and even better than that is to have a voice for each country we have a livery for. As far as I'm concerned, and storage space permitting, the more the merrier.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.