IFF modes in the f-18 Hornet

Dadzilla74

8 hours ago, Joni said:

Oh wow, thanks for sharing this!

Now I understand why IRL it's so difficult to ID the "bad" guys. I wish one day we actually have this implemented across DCS instead of instantly knowing who the enemy is.

• Like 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Oh, you're right with Mode 1 and 2 - it's military, but it still is for controllers, not air-to-air interrogation.

With Mode 4 - you're probably right, but IMO implementic all features you described above would be game breaking, because ~90% of online players wouldn't IFF as friendly.

(My opinion is based on fact that I bearly play SP... some test and simple trainings on ME, most of my time I play online).

7 minutes ago, Foka said:

Oh, you're right with Mode 1 and 2 - it's military, but it still is for controllers, not air-to-air interrogation.

With Mode 4 - you're probably right, but IMO implementic all features you described above would be game breaking, because ~90% of online players wouldn't IFF as friendly.

(My opinion is based on fact that I bearly play SP... some test and simple trainings on ME, most of my time I play online).

It's a player's problem if they don't bother just turning on the IFF system and selecting 4A or 4B. It's literally 1 or 2 button presses more, after turning the system on. If key rotations were implemented, the server could have a small message pop up when a player occupies a slot, telling them the current key. Since Mode 4 is what's strictly required for MP, it wouldn't be a problem. Turn IFF on, select 4A or 4B and you're good to go.

Normally, they could also go to ROE/IFF PROG in the SUPT menu and select other codes and the times for key rotation, if it's not done by the ground crew, but we don't have that.

As for the other modes, no one says they'd be used by the vast majority or that they'd be used often by anyone. But it's a capability of the real jet, it already exists in DCS in the JF-17 and as such, it would be nice to have it be functional in the game. As you say, some milsim groups would use such features and this is supposed to be a high fidelity simulator game that caters to such groups, or at least one would hope so.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Joni said:

Still wrong in every paragraph, sorry to be that guy 😞

Modes 1 and 2 are military, not civilian.

Mode 4 is not implemented, instead a magic iff is hardcoded and just named mode 4 by wags in his hornet videos. If it was simulated you would have at least the need for setting the UFC right, tick mode4 and select which key to use, if you wanted it simplistic for classified purposes then ED could have made that all coalitions and aircraft within use the same A key for example but at least make you select it. Another way to see it is not simulted is the fact that you can touch the erase switches in the left console and nothing happens, oops and you still have IFF. Now all you have to do is turn it on and no matter what you touch it will "work".

Can you see finally why this is not simulated and why this thread goes on?

Regards.

This!

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, FYI. I have done some tests with LOTATC and the IFF modes 1&3 work. Mode 1 allows a two digit code for the aircraft type and the Mode 3 allows a 4 digit squawk code. These can be sent to LOTATC using the I/P button on the UFC or the Indent button on the SRS radio toggle. This will allow atc to find you quickly and know the airframe you are (if your server has assigned mode 1 codes for the different airframes) If in a group flight ATC will assign numeric squawk codes for each flight to show up as a group. Mode 2 is another 4 Digit code that can be inputted yet still working out the why, how and when to use mode 2.

1 minute ago, Dadzilla74 said:

Hi Guys, FYI. I have done some tests with LOTATC and the IFF modes 1&3 work. Mode 1 allows a two digit code for the aircraft type and the Mode 3 allows a 4 digit squawk code. These can be sent to LOTATC using the I/P button on the UFC or the Indent button on the SRS radio toggle. This will allow atc to find you quickly and know the airframe you are (if your server has assigned mode 1 codes for the different airframes) If in a group flight ATC will assign numeric squawk codes for each flight to show up as a group. Mode 2 is another 4 Digit code that can be inputted yet still working out the why, how and when to use mode 2.

Like I said, that only means Lotac can read the UFC status, it doesn't mean in any way that DCS is simulating any of that. In fact DCS isn't simulating any type of IFF, just hardcoded.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

LotATC can't read it - SRS is actually passing it to LotATC in order for it to work

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord