Quest 2 versus Reverb G2 : My experience

Brainfreeze

So you get 45/90fps in those scenarios at 100% on the G2? That's pretty good. In that case must be some settings preferences. I do have most of mine pretty high/max as this was what I was used to on my rift - again, personal preferences I suppose! For what I like 80% was the max.

9 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

@AlpineGTA So what's the verdict so far?  Still struggling with setup?  

I've not had time to get back on it yet since my initial few hours getting it set up last Friday evening when it arrived. But to be honest my initial impressions were not good. A lot of this is subjective and down to personal preference, so caveat, this is just my initial thoughts.

Just overall, I think the Quest 2 is a better all round VR headset. It costs half the price (minus link cable) but it feels like a much more finished product both on the hardware and software side. It feels better built, particularly the controllers, the controllers are more comfortable, require less batteries and last longer, the software is easier to set up and has slicker features, the wireless stand a lone feature really is a boon. And I don't particularly find the G2 any more comfortable. Despite the spongy bit for the back of the head it's still just velcro straps. I much prefer the head strap on the Rift S for comfort, but obviously that could be subjective and down to the individuals head and face shape. The cable also is stiff and unwieldy compared to the Oculus link cable.

Regarding DCS, again the Oculus software seems to do a better job at running smoothly at the same FPS. So for example, if I drop as low as 25FPS in the G2 it can stutter, whereas 25FPS in the Quest 2 can still be smooth and comfortably playable. Although the image is sharper, I wouldn't say the leap of the G2 over the Quest 2 is as big or as noticeable as that of the Quest 2 over the Rift S was. I think the Quest 2 runs the G2 very close. Most gauges are still perfectly readable and clear and the sweet spot seems much bigger. I didn't  really notice as massive improvement in ease of spotting either - although I have increased vis. range to extreme to try after you mentioned it and I haven't gone back yet to the Quest 2 on the same setting to compare. But, yes, I think the black dot of a distant aircraft does look sharper and less of a 'smudge'. If you already have a Quest 2 then I think you should be perfectly happy with it and shouldn't feel the need to rush out and get a G2, at least not just for the extra image quality, the FB thing is another issue.

Now, having said all that, and like I said a lot of it is personal and subjective. Do I regret buying the G2? No. I'm happy I bought it! The colours are better. The clarity is better (although, like I said, I don't think it's massively better and if you have a Quest 2 the clarity is perfectly good and I think anyone would be happy with it.) And after some time tinkering and applying all the tweaks and settings found reading up on the forum I've got it running smoothly with a nice clear image. And I'm glad I'm no longer tied to Facebook. I'm happy! I'm sure with more time there are more tweaks to be done to get it even better, plus I will be upgrading my GPU eventually so I can turn more eye candy back on the DCS settings.

Also, I freely admit that I'm a bit of an old curmudgeon, a Victor Meldrew and some of my criticism is down to that! 😄 I'm sure I'll warm to it more with more use.

So to simply sum up: G2 - better, sharper image than a Quest 2? Yes. Do you need to upgrade to a G2 if you have a Quest 2? No.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Yes.  45fps in nevada take off and in Las Vegas low flying.  Got MSAA x2 (could take it off I guess).  But more importantly it stays fluid (fps not really important) and I do not have houses / buildings doing time warps when I fly past them 🤣

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

12 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Yes.  45fps in nevada take off and in Las Vegas low flying.  Got MSAA x2 (could take it off I guess).  But more importantly it stays fluid (fps not really important) and I do not have houses / buildings doing time warps when I fly past them 🤣

Yeah probably down to some personal preferences then (I also don't like the shaders mod) I had the above 80% perfectly smooth but 100% was too much. However I got drops to 43/44 on the deck of the SC and flying over. SC seems to be more taxing on the system than the entire city of las Vegas. Go figure...

I did a back to back comparison between my Quest 2 and G2 using the same DCS settings and same missions. Interestingly I was getting roughly 5 FPS more with the G2. As I've said before, I don't obsess over FPS, as long as it's smooth, I was just using it as a benchmark to compare. I was only getting 25 FPS in the Viggen at low level in a thunderstorm but the F3 view flyby was smooth with the G2 and unusually it looked less smooth in the Quest 2.

The performance of the Quest 2 did seem worse than usual but I have been messing with some settings using OTT to get better performance in MS Cloud Simulator. I think that's why in the past I haven't bothered with OTT as I never found it gave any performance improvement. I always found it better to just turn ASW off and tweak the settings in DCS. 

Anyway, I will be sticking with the G2 from now on, I was just curious to do a final back to back before I stopped using the Quest 2.

I have a question though - I have MSAA x2 turned on in my DCS settings. If I turn that off have you noticed a significant improvement in performance and does it look noticeably more jagged with it turned off? Thanks.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

I did a back to back comparison between my Quest 2 and G2 using the same DCS settings and same missions. Interestingly I was getting roughly 5 FPS more with the G2. As I've said before, I don't obsess over FPS, as long as it's smooth, I was just using it as a benchmark to compare. I was only getting 25 FPS in the Viggen at low level in a thunderstorm but the F3 view flyby was smooth with the G2 and unusually it looked less smooth in the Quest 2.

The performance of the Quest 2 did seem worse than usual but I have been messing with some settings using OTT to get better performance in MS Cloud Simulator. I think that's why in the past I haven't bothered with OTT as I never found it gave any performance improvement. I always found it better to just turn ASW off and tweak the settings in DCS. 

Anyway, I will be sticking with the G2 from now on, I was just curious to do a final back to back before I stopped using the Quest 2.

I have a question though - I have MSAA x2 turned on in my DCS settings. If I turn that off have you noticed a significant improvement in performance and does it look noticeably more jagged with it turned off? Thanks.

Everyone's mileage and therefore preferences vary. Yeah fps is secondary to experience (smoothness) but I think most people just use it as the way of understanding where they are at. My experience with the G2 was that it did need MSAA as I really don't like jaggies, some people don't seem to need it. It does improve performance when its off, but also makes a big difference when its on so... balance your preferences. In my opinion I needed it even with the G2 at 100%. However having run the Q2 at x4 MSAA all the jaggies were gone. This is the first time I have seen this, I can't quite get this smooth so returned to x2 but hopefully when Vulkan comes out I will be able to get a jaggy free smooth DCS in VR. Coming from a rift S I felt that that low res screen it was impossible to remove all the jaggies. even with MSAA at x4 and SS at 1.8. Q2 seems far better at this, if only it was display port connectable - I'm sure it would be possible now.

15 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Everyone's mileage and therefore preferences vary. Yeah fps is secondary to experience (smoothness) but I think most people just use it as the way of understanding where they are at. My experience with the G2 was that it did need MSAA as I really don't like jaggies, some people don't seem to need it. It does improve performance when its off, but also makes a big difference when its on so... balance your preferences. In my opinion I needed it even with the G2 at 100%. However having run the Q2 at x4 MSAA all the jaggies were gone. This is the first time I have seen this, I can't quite get this smooth so returned to x2 but hopefully when Vulkan comes out I will be able to get a jaggy free smooth DCS in VR. Coming from a rift S I felt that that low res screen it was impossible to remove all the jaggies. even with MSAA at x4 and SS at 1.8. Q2 seems far better at this, if only it was display port connectable - I'm sure it would be possible now.

I personally find I do not need any MSAA with the Reverb G2 running at 100% resolution. I run with Motion Smoothing on and forced at 45 fps.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Tried it tonight to check and frankly could not find much difference over Las Vegas.  Might be more noticeable on other maps maybe.  Normally, MSAA is said to be quite taxing on fps but I have not noticed much today...

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals