GBU-24 range & TOF

El Chapo

Hi,

After testing GBU-24 with the F-18, I have the feeling that the release range is quite short, comparable to what a Paveway II bomb would do.

By design, Paveway III LGBs are much more efficient than the previous generation, gliding a lot more, and thus giving us the ability to shoot for longer distances.
The TOF is therefore quite short as well: a 40'' TOF from 20k feet seems quite normal for a Paveway II, but it's very short for a Paveway III at the same altitude.
Could we have someone looking at this?

For example, FAS.org gives us an idea of these ranges.

gbu24_15.gif

Thanks!

Edited by Габихан
Grammar
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Hi, 

we are working on a new autopilot for the GBU-24, please consider it work in progress at the moment.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 year later...

Is the GBU-24 considered “complete” now?

After some trials, it seems to be tracking the laser correctly (which was a previous bug), but I’m not impressed with it’s low altitude range. Even when lofting, running in at +550kts with a 3-4g pull-up to ~30° It only has a range of a couple miles. I’d expect much further easily +5nm. Is it still WIP?

Also, slightly off topic, how should the aircraft manoeuvre to maintain TGP LOS after release, without presenting a nice easy target? Currently I break right (Hornet with TGP on left chin station) 45° off run in heading, and 5° nose low. This just maintains the laser designation, although I do feel extremely exposed descending slowly at around 2,000ft agl. Any tips?

Edited by norman99

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 4/12/2022 at 4:02 AM, norman99 said:

Is the GBU-24 considered “complete” now?

No not complete yet, we have some more tweaking to do. 

A reminder to people, please do not post from real world documents here, ref. our 1.16 rule

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2