Latest bunch of nVidia drivers causes performance drop?

I'm on 451,48 still but over at the Avsim MSFS forum i came across this:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/593383-vr-benchmarks-for-nvidia-drivers/

It's a VR test so pancake mode may differ but i guess not.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

i installed nVidia 461.09 yesterday because of the recently found CVE. i immediately flew F16 on Syria mad with no problems. i felt as though the performance was a ted better. i am 2D user.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Yes, even with other games I have had serious performance issues with certain nVidia drivers as well (on my old system): Assassin's Creed Odessey for example was next to unplayable with recent drivers because of insane stuttering and atrocious 1% low performance.

For some reason it's always ATi drivers that get all the negative press, but truth it there are issues with both companies.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 8:04 AM, silverdevil said:

i installed nVidia 461.09 yesterday because of the recently found CVE. i immediately flew F16 on Syria mad with no problems. i felt as though the performance was a ted better. i am 2D user.

Because Nvidia drivers sometimes tend to be somewhat less... Functionally Graceful, shall we say, than their hardware, I've stuck with the Studio Driver for now, which is version 460.89.

I've had good luck with it, it seems to perform well and be fairly crash-free.

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

• ED Team

I will give it a day to see what feedback is like then upgrade to the latest driver and test. thanks for the heads up

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm still using v436.30 ... don't see the point on upgrading, since my gpu is fairly old (a gtx1070ti )

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'm updated the Nvidia driver to the v.461.09 and also last DCS open beta update version.

Without any change, except for gpu driver and ED update, I notice a drop down fps for a few seconds.

With my RTX2070S I usually fly with 80/90 fps with high graphics details but since some days we suffered of instant drop down fps to 14/19 for a few second many times during the simulation session, specially during the change pov both in the cockpit and in the external view.

Edited by FRECCIA01
  • Like 1

One of the best things I ever did for DCS performance was to uninstall the Nvidia Experience app and roll back the drivers for my 1080ti.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 1/20/2021 at 2:45 PM, Sr. said:

One of the best things I ever did for DCS performance was to uninstall the Nvidia Experience app and roll back the drivers for my 1080ti.

i had some problems with GFE back when i was fighting through some video card / DCS issues. i think it uses a bit of overhead that may affect DCS.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

18 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

i had some problems with GFE back when i was fighting through some video card / DCS issues. i think it uses a bit of overhead that may affect DCS.

Oh I definitely believe it does (or did in my case). Another one I've recently killed off is the Alienware Command Center service... HUGE process hog.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

15 hours ago, Sr. said:

Oh I definitely believe it does (or did in my case). Another one I've recently killed off is the Alienware Command Center service... HUGE process hog.

thats another issue i was experiencing. i have an alienware desktop. many times i finished a mission and exited DCS i would feel the fan was running still after minutes. i would review task manager and see AWCC.exe eating CPU. i did finally beat that by updating it to the latest available.

DCS OPTIONS 1.png

On 1/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, BIGNEWY said:

I will give it a day to see what feedback is like then upgrade to the latest driver and test. thanks for the heads up

- Let me say that with the latest Nvidia drivers i have the best performance i ever had in VR with DCS. I use a lot of mods, some scripts, and with a full deck in Supercarrier i have a smooth performance at 40 fps with DCS VR options SS 1.5, MSAA x2, and Valve Index SteamVR SS 1.0 (default) at 120hz. Of course this is subjective without my complete specs and tweaks posted here but i just wanted to give this feedback. Incirlik before have a lot of stutter (Hornet & Viper) now it seems smooth (some hiccups here and there).

- I tested with Supercarrier at night and there is a performance hit to half the fps due to the tower lightning.

EDIT:

- Posted my DCS Options & my specs I7 4790k 4.4ghz, 32GB DDR3 RAM, SSD´s, AIO Kraken X62 cooler, Valve Index, Zotac GTX 1080ti 11GB DDR5X;

- The latest DCS OB patch gave me better performance.

Thank you and keep up!

Fagulha.

DCS OPTIONS 1.png

DCS OPTIONS 2.png

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• ED Team
17 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Let me say that with the latest Nvidia drivers i have the best performance i ever had in VR with DCS. I use a lot of mods, some scripts, and with a full deck in Supercarrier i have a smooth performance at 40 fps with DCS VR options SS 1.5, MSAA x2, and Valve Index SteamVR SS 1.0 (default) at 120hz. Of course this is subjective without my complete specs and tweaks posted here but i just wanted to give this feedback. Incirlik before have a lot of stutter (Hornet & Viper) now it seems smooth (some hiccups here and there).

I will update now, thanks for the heads up, someone else mentioned today they were getting much better performance with the latest patch. 

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

19 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will update now, thanks for the heads up, someone else mentioned today they were getting much better performance with the latest patch. 

thanks

Just a note and i don´t know if it is imperative, but i used to change in graphics.lua Maxfps=250 and set same value in Nvidia control panel for fps limit at 250 fps, since last DCS beta update i leave both options in 180 fps (it´s the default value in graphics.lua file). Going to try like i used before to see if it impact/improve performance.

Give feedkback after you try the new drivers please.

Thank you and good work!

Fagulha.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

21 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Agree

90Hz with Rift cv1 most of the time today in a multi-player mission i'm used to fly, that's great for me ( i5 2500k @4.5 Ghz, 32 GB Ram, 1080Ti ).
My VR experience is better and better with theses OB Patch.

Thanks ED Teams !

Edited by fab.13
  • Like 1