The more I fly the spitty...

Finnster

I think that biggest problem in spitfire take off appear when someone is adding not enough power for take off, it does not matter is it 6 8 12 or 18 lbs of boost you need to apply this power quick. So prop wash can influence you rudder. Then you can focus on keeping plane in line with runway in take off roll.

Most cases what i saw when ppl learning spitfire is that they start rolling at 0lbs or lower thinking that plane will be easier to control. Then they add power later destabilizing already not stable plane ending up in grass or upside down.

For me DCS spitfire is by far the easiest plane to handle in the air and as on the ground.

I assigned brakes to button and i use tap tap technique to control plane on ground.

Listen to brake sound in this spitfire, my DCS spitfire sounds exactly the same when i make turns on the ground 🙂

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Came late to the thread, but regarding the original post I would just like to remind that when the aircraft loads in a quick takeoff mission it usually comes with elevator trim set to neutral, when it should actually be set to nose heavy for takeoff, the pointer around 3 o'clock ( neutral in that scale is above from there ).

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Once I followed these instructions from Chucks Guide everything is OK. My only deviation is stick back till the rudder becomes effective which I find feels safer. This follows real world pretty much to the letter I think. I’m sure more power at takeoff is possible but you need careful rudder application as the video says.

So, rudder trim right, elevator neutral, stick back, 3 secs smoothly to 8lbs, stick eased forward to bring the tail up once the rudder becomes effective. I have the brakes on my Warthog level as in the real thing and tap it on the ground as Grafspee says. Once again this replicates real world advice.

Edited by Mogster

On 1/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, Yo-Yo said:

Stating this you have to refer to trim diagrams that are available for several DCS planes. The torque itself is presented with aileron deflection required to trim the plane, as well as rudder deflection required for yaw counteracting. So, if you have something you can refer to, we will be very glad to see it here instead of simple declaration.

It is quite simple physics. Torque is always there. In a real propeller driven airplane, when you change power or airspeed, you must trim. When you fly a propeller driven airplane, your hand is on the trim wheels and only occasionally on the throttle. One cannot go stop to stop with the throttle and not see the aircraft react, quite dramatically in a high performance aircraft. 

In DCS, unless the airfoil is stalled, torque is negligible. The 109 has a bit of torque modelled above stall, the P-51 has none. The rest are somewhere in between. 

It is simple to prove. Just change the power setting. It isn't a magic force that only appears below stall speed. 

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Whenever anyone says there's a lack of torque modeled in DCS I am nothing but confused, because my rudder, stick, and trim wheels are always busy dealing with torque in the P-51, P-47. Spitifre, Bf109, and Fw190. All to varying degrees because (surprise) they're different aircraft. Double-check game mode and auto-rudder are turned off, otherwise something's wrong with that individual's software. Torque effects are very present for me....

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

Torque effects are very present for me....

Likewise. I've been wondering what's wrong with his setup, because I, too, need to to retrim every time I change the powertrain settings (MAP, RPM) even a tad.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

6 hours ago, Nealius said:

Auto-rudder is on by default when you get all the WW2 modules, and sometimes turns itself back on after DCS updates. 

Exactly i hate this, when i have to re-done every setting for every warbird i have. it is just meh that this is default setting.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Exactly i hate this, when i have to re-done every setting for every warbird i have. it is just meh that this is default setting.
Yes, it is a little annoying and agree that the default should be for realism. But at least it is easy to spot when it turns back on.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Yet, what disturbs me is why that guy obtusely keeps on claiming there's no torque and thus no subsequent need for trimming, while the rest of us clearly _do_ perceive both torque being present _and_ the need for a retrim every time we change our power settings. So WTH exactly _is_ wrong with his setup, I wonder?

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

7 hours ago, msalama said:

Yet, what disturbs me is why that guy obtusely keeps on claiming there's no torque and thus no subsequent need for trimming, while the rest of us clearly _do_ perceive both torque being present _and_ the need for a retrim every time we change our power settings. So WTH exactly _is_ wrong with his setup, I wonder?

even with trim, if you slam full power on the ground you'll soon feel the torque. hell i sometimes dont trim the spitfire on take off when im in a rush and i have to apply full rudder deflection to track straight at high power.

Left swing tendency  comes mostly from asymmetric thrust of the prop, left swing during tail rising is induced from gyroscopic precession. Torque alone is dumped in to ground and you cant really feel it or see it.

The gyroscopic precession is clearly visible in Bf-109 which has small rudder, it takes you off guard, you think that you have enough speed to control plane but you need to hold tail down a little bit longer other wise bf-109 likes to swing left if tail rises too fast.

Spitfire has this as well but with tail section almost twice as big it is not a big deal.

Edited by grafspee