F/A-18 ATC 'Inbound vs. Request Azimuth'

fitness88

49 minutes ago, Kang said:

The main difference is that the 'inbound' call will lead to the option of requesting a landing clearance once you are over the base, whereas 'navigation assistance' does not.

Thanks for that...do they both vector you to the same position for a lined up, final approach?

Also, given the runway# when calling inbound should give the pilot a 'where to look for the runway' once you 'fly bearing and distance' as instructed by ATC...correct?

They used to differ slightly in that regard, as 'Inbound' would send you towards the approach point and 'Azimuth' would send you to the field itself, but somewhere along the line these got a bit muddled up. Generally the communication proceeds further once you are within a certain radius of the center of the base nowadays.

DCS ATC has nothing to do with real life anyway. Unless you're using Supercarrier, best to ignore it unfortunately. Trying to use it breaks immersion more than it's worth. Looks like it might be improved in the feature so fingers crossed. 

According to the newsletter from last Friday, ED is working on an improved ATC for the airfields (like the ATC of the supercarrier) but there is still no ETA

The current ATC system is extremely simplified and not very realistic, but it at least doesn't usually screw things up massively, so I guess that's good?

"Inbound" is a call to notify the control tower that you are flying to the airport with the intent to land. This should be your first transition to the tower, and I generally do it between 20 and 30 miles out. The response from the tower should tell you what runway to expect, though it doesn't seem to work right for every airport on every map.

"Request azimuth" is a call to inform the tower that you're either lost or have forgotten where to go and to please tell you what direction to fly in. 

46 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

The current ATC system is extremely simplified and not very realistic, but it at least doesn't usually screw things up massively, so I guess that's good?

"Inbound" is a call to notify the control tower that you are flying to the airport with the intent to land. This should be your first transition to the tower, and I generally do it between 20 and 30 miles out. The response from the tower should tell you what runway to expect, though it doesn't seem to work right for every airport on every map.

"Request azimuth" is a call to inform the tower that you're either lost or have forgotten where to go and to please tell you what direction to fly in

Will the direction they give me take me to a final approach approx. 10 miles out?

11 hours ago, Weasel said:
13 hours ago, AvroLanc said:
DCS ATC has nothing to do with real life anyway. Unless you're using Supercarrier, best to ignore it unfortunately. Trying to use it breaks immersion more than it's worth. Looks like it might be improved in the feature so fingers crossed. 

According to the newsletter from last Friday, ED is working on an improved ATC for the airfields (like the ATC of the supercarrier) but there is still no ETA

they said that in the 2016 new year newsletter as well (along other same items as the 2021 one, like new FLIR system)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2016-01-29_DCS_World_Future/

the roadmaps tend to be extremely optimistic.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

Was Lock On the predecessor of DCS or affiliated in any way?  I ask because I clearly remember the ATC back in those early years being very helpful, accurate in it's Inbound and Request Azimuth, it would tell you where the runway would be once you arrived where it told you to go ...even alerting you where to look for air traffic in your area!

Edited by fitness88

I use Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack for my DCS comms. For the limited amount so far I have used it seems to do a pretty good job.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 hours ago, fitness88 said:

Was Lock On the predecessor of DCS or affiliated in any way?  I ask because I clearly remember the ATC back in those early years being very helpful, accurate in it's Inbound and Request Azimuth, it would tell you where the runway would be once you arrived where it told you to go ...even alerting you where to look for air traffic in your area!

yes, same family of products, I can't sadly remember that far back if the ATC was better or worse 😄