Mi-24P project manager live stream

Kate Perederko

Thanks! :thumbup:

I just gotta learn Russian quickly. brb...

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

20 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

I just gotta learn Russian quickly. brb...

In my teenage years, I actually wanted to learn Russian: I found it to be an extremely fascinating language. I was discouraged though when I brought home a few textbooks, and eventually I buried those plans...

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

That is very nice to do, but unfortunately i don't speek russian. 😬 I hope over the next days our russian friends can tell us some of the news/informations talked about in the stream. 🍻

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Haha, Kate seems to have a healthy sense of humor. :clown_2:

• Like 1

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

5 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

In my teenage years, I actually wanted to learn Russian: I found it to be an extremely fascinating language. I was discouraged though when I brought home a few textbooks, and eventually I buried those plans...

I had russian at school as my second foreign language(next to english). Our first russian teacher was great, it was fun to learn that language but unfortunately we only had her for around 1,5 years. The second russian teacher we had was only talking grammar, grammar, grammar and that in a very dry way. The last one was the worst, she spoke barely russian herself, at this point there was not much russian knowledge and desire to learn russian left in me/us. After getting into Lockon/DCS i was sad that i didn't learn that language. But i can still read Cyrillic, i just don't understand it. 😂

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

1 minute ago, unknown said:

I had russian at school as my second foreign language

Same as my Polish friends. I actually was quite busy already with French, German and English (my main language is Dutch), and had my eye on Spanish as well. I probably already had enough on my plate 😄

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

6 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Same as my Polish friends. I actually was quite busy already with French, German and English (my main language is Dutch), and had my eye on Spanish as well. I probably already had enough on my plate 😄

😂👍

Yeah, i'm not old enough or my first foreign language at school would have been russian instead of english but the German reunification changed that. 😂 I could only choose between french and russian, sorry french friends i chose russian.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yeah, I just did the same... :biggrin:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Timestamps for those who don't speak Russian:

1:23:46 - Showing external model

1:25:33 - Showing various elements of the pilot and copilot cockpits

1:46:38 - Hind takes flight

1:47:18 - Rockets engagements

1:49:25 - Gun low rate of fire

1:51:42 - Gun high rate of fire

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Untitled-2.png

31 minutes ago, cordite said:

They jumped the gun on announcing the Hind, and held back announcing the Apache.

Follow up:

Then what have they being doing for most of that 2+ year time? What stage was it at when they announced it back in 2017? Why was it in the 2020 and beyond DCS trailer if it couldn't be released till Q2 2021. 

Edited by CrazyGman

WIP I know, but. The in cockpit shadows-flickering-blinking is horrible, even when he un active-poused, I couldn't stand watching it, got too nauseous.

• Like 1

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Here's @Minsky's excellent breakdown in SD's unofficial roadmap:

Key moments from the above interview with ED's Mi-24P project manager Alex Podvoisky:

- Alex is an ex-military helicopter pilot (1200+ hours on Mi-8). Working at ED since 2011/12.

- P ("П") model of the Mi-24 has been chosen by ED because of the real Mi-24 pilots who requested it specifically. Also, the Mi-24P can be flown, and most weapons can be employed, from both cockpits.

- The "average" Mi-24P has been modelled, the most common "domestic" variant, without any exotic stuff or particularly new/outdated systems.

- No movable "Ka-50 like" front cannon as seen on the Mi-24VP: the real one was imperfect, ineffective and not widespread. Pointless to recreate it in DCS.

- No UPK-23 gun pod (not installed on Russian Mi-24P's).

- No laser target designation: not suitable for this particular Mi-24 model. We'll only have optical designator (with a very basic gyro stabilization, so it's gonna be challenging).

- Cockpit shaking due to rotor vibrations will be similar to Mi-8, but less pronounced (as on the real helo).

- A2A missiles (R-60) will be added "later". Another ED team is about to start reworking all IR missiles in DCS, so they'll be able to spot any heated object - not just those airborne. This is required, since Mi-24s in Afghanistan were employing R-60 against ground targets.

The AI co-pilot:
* Co-pilot has been deliberately made imperfect and human-like: it will have harder time spotting smaller and low-contrast targets, or those not in its direct eyesight. No x-ray vision, instant spotting or dead-on locking.

* Co-pilot in the Early Access will be limited to basic assisting/targeting and enabling certain systems on pilot's command. Other features (like assisted startup or system checks) will be added later.

* It seems that the AI co-pilot will not be able to land the Mi-24 on its own.

* Co-pilot's menu for the Mi-24 is not yet finalized. Devs are aiming at something similar to the Jester/Iceman menu: radial, controlled via joystick's hat and TrackIR. Users will be able to change speed, heading, altitude, combat modes, and so on.

* Co-pilot's name is still secret, but it will be a Russian one.

* No Jester-like jokes and banter: from Alex' own experience, there's no room for that in a combat or training environments. "On RTB - maybe... We'll think about it later".

* Co-pilot will be available in English and Russian languages at first (users will be able to add their own languages via mods).

* Co-pilot/pilot injuries will not be simulated: "we'll think about it later".

Mi-24P in DCS will have the following weapons:

* GSh-30-2 (ГШ-2-30К) 30mm cannon

* Unguided rockets: S-8, S-5, S-13, S-24B
* AG Missiles: 9M114 "Штурм" (AT-6 Spiral), 9M120 "Атака" (AT-9 Spiral-2 - later in the Early Access)

* AA Missiles: R-60M (coming later - explained above)

* Pods: GUVs (same as on the Mi-8)

- Lipa ("Липа") jammer will not be implemented. Alex claims that this system is outdated, hasn't been installed on any Mi-24P for many years, and is useless in DCS (doesn't have any suitable threats).

- No President-S RWR/CMS complex for Mi-24 or Mi-8 (no data available). Only the basic ASO-2V dispenser ("АСО-2В").

- A combat campaign for the Mi-24 will be created at some point. No training campaigns or missions planned (at least not for the Early Access).

- In-cockpit (3D) NS430 is unlikely. 2D window - "maybe".

- No night vision goggles: the chosen Mi-24P variant doesn't have them, and is not designed for night flying. There is a remote possibility of an additional "night Hind" variant in the future, tho.

- Onboard, Huey-like gunners will be added "later". Devs don't see them as top priority.

- Regarding troops transporting/deployment: the Mi-24 team is not responsible for this feature, it's a core DCS thing. So they won't be available on release (if available at all).

- Landmines. Technically possible to deploy them with the Mi-24, but this feature is not yet implemented in core DCS. Same stands for the Mi-8.

- Visual icing effects: another core DCS feature, and the Mi-24 team cannot implement it themselves. Systems-wise, the icing will be similar to Mi-8.

- The autopilot system is fully functional.

- DISS (doppler navigation system) is fully functional, with simulated drift and drift correction.

- It seems that the Mi-24 will be very well-optimized: no Tomcat-like freezes on the first load, and, according to Alex: "60-70 fps on my laptop" (his laptop specs and DCS settings unknown).

- ED's AH-64D is already flyable: Alex is toying with one of the early builds, and he's quite enjoying it. Longbow is being developed by another ED team.

- Multi-crew for the Mi-8 in DCS: "I would very much like for it to happen, and will personally ask my bosses to allocate resources for this task".

- Bonus for those who read through the whole thing: multi-crew for the Mi-24 should be available on day one in the Early Access.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

- Regarding troops transporting/deployment: the Mi-24 team is not responsible for this feature, it's a core DCS thing. So they won't be available on release (if available at all).

That would be really disappointing. EDIT: Might've been translation error etc. They were apparently talking about 3d models of passengers, not whether or not the Hind could transport.

- A2A missiles (R-60) will be added "later". Another ED team is about to start reworking all IR missiles in DCS, so they'll be able to spot any heated object - not just those airborne. This is required, since Mi-24s in Afghanistan were employing R-60 against ground targets.

Sounds epic, would be really cool to have it get some kind of A2A SP to help it fend for itself in the coming influx of helicopters and just some SP against jets.

Edited by Lithion
clarification of faulty info
  • Like 2

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

25 minutes ago, Lithion said:

That would be really disappointing.

Hm, i would have thought it will work like in any other heli right now, clumsy but it will work. But I let myself be surprised.

14 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

Follow up:

Then what have they being doing for most of that 2+ year time? What stage was it at when they announced it back in 2017? Why was it in the 2020 and beyond DCS trailer if it couldn't be released till Q2 2021. 

I guess this is as good of an explanation as your going to get:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/140264-dcs-mi-24p/page/143/

Of course they ignored the question about the shadows. So much for VR users.

Thanks for the write-up and translation from @Minksy and @Northstar98

I have just one question, will the AI copilot be able to target and shoot the Sturm AT missiles?

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 1/9/2021 at 1:26 PM, Lurker said:

Thanks for the write-up and translation from @Minksy and @Northstar98

All credit should go to @Minsky I just quoted and linked it.

I have just one question, will the AI copilot be able to target and shoot the Sturm AT missiles?

Hmmm, I guess the main problem would be how to get a player to designate a target for the AI.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.