Un-monetize the youtube videos

Limaro

It now happend twice.

I've showed someone (sent link) the "Beyond 20xx"-videos to someone, trying to convince to test DCS. And the first respond was: "They monetize their promotional films?".

Personally, when I check out the newest vids from Wags, it also annoys me. I don't know much on the youtube-turnover with this. But I think that should be reconsidered...

Regards

Limaro

• Thanks 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

Well, this is what adblock is for, if it's truly a showstopper.

• Like 10

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

They need to keep in business. It is not ubisoft or electronic arts. It is very normal 

• Like 5

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I would think that compared to the revenue from, you know, actually selling modules would dwarf whatever scraps Google is giving them from monetizing their videos.

Especially since ads before promotional videos probably have a net negative effect, given they lessen the effectiveness of their own advertising (which the promo videos are).

• Like 1

I prefer to pay for YT Premium and not have ad on any video ... tough many channels are now inserting their own promotions at the beginning of their videos ... but at least that can be skipped over 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Two things.

1. The videos reach less of an audience if they are not monetized. The YouTube algorithm gives the videos less priority when they are not monetized.

2. YouTube now puts ads on videos whether they are monetized or not. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ikaros said:

YouTube now puts ads on videos whether they are monetized or not. 

The YT algorithm needs serious attention. Not only does it drop unrelated "ad breaks" into openly-sponsored content (I'm watching flight sim footage, wtf do I care about cat food???) but it also makes ridiculous assumptions based on viewing history. I've been watching a lot of historical air warfare documentaries during our latest lockdown so YT has now decided that I'm an ideal customer for Rafael's products. I'm sure they're awesome, but ffs... is a 56yo nerd in a city centre flat really the target market for SPICE/SPIKE/SPYDER?

There again, SPYDER might have deterred the d*ckhead in the A400M from flying continuous low circuits over the Inner Moray Firth on Friday afternoon.  You weren't squawking or broadcasting a callsign but you *had* to be from Brise. No offence, but why? Don't you have any LFAs in England?

• Like 1

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

ads on youtube is not an issue. It's fare and normal to pay for somthing when watching a video. YT premium is too expensive and it's okay for me to watch sometime some ads on youtube to help (ED is that case). They will ear more money and they will make more addons 🙂

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

42 minutes ago, Cthulhus said:

ads on youtube is not an issue. It's fare and normal to pay for somthing when watching a video. YT premium is too expensive and it's okay for me to watch sometime some ads on youtube to help (ED is that case). They will ear more money and they will make more addons 🙂

YouTube takes 45%.  And do we know if ED monetized their videos?  If YouTube is putting ads on non-monetized videos, they take 100%.

Edited by Taz1004

the OP said yes and ask for an un-monetize youtube's videos from ED. I think (hope) he checks that before complains here.

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

13 hours ago, drPhibes said:

I use Adblock Plus (for Firefox). I think it's available for most other browsers as well.

You have to consider that a major part of internet trafic is now on mobile, not on PC. Haven't found a working adblocker for iOS that blocks YT ads. And YT Premium is very expensive indeed, costs around the same as Netflix + Amazon prime combined for me.

But yes, I have seen this time and again that demonetizing goes against your visibility on YT, so demonetizing is almost never done. Shame their algorithm for ads isn't better, just because you watch "games" content (like DCS World) doesn't mean you are interested in stupid free-to-play MOBA/mobile games just designed to grab your cash.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

My YT Premium bill is US$ 9 per month for a family subscription that allows me to share this cost with 4 other members of my family, so it turns out to be 2 US$ per month per person. And on top of that you get access to YT Music, which is similar to Spotify, again for 5 people.

Wonder how much it would have to cost to be considered a reasonable price rather than an expensive one. 🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

6 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

My YT Premium bill is US$ 9 per month for a family subscription that allows me to share this cost with 4 other members of my family, so it turns out to be 2 US$ per month per person. And on top of that you get access to YT Music, which is similar to Spotify, again for 5 people.

Wonder how much it would have to cost to be considered a reasonable price rather than an expensive one. 🙂

You must've got a deal.  YouTube premium family is $18 now.  Individual is $12.

28 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

You must've got a deal.  YouTube premium family is $18 now.  Individual is $12.

no, just checked and it is the regular price. Maybe in your country its more expensive?

12 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

no, just checked and it is the regular price. Maybe in your country its more expensive?

Individual is 12EUR here (France), so 14,60 USD. Yeah, this is expensive, Netflix here is 8€ / month and Amazon Prime 49€ / year, so both subscriptions roughly equal to YT Premium alone. But hey, I get it, Youtube belongs to Google, Google is at heart an advertisement agency, so if you want to skip their ads it has to be worth it for them.

At least when we watch the ED videos Matt Wagner is not telling us about a certain VPN that can help us "surf the web securely" before showing the new radar functionality or new weapons.  😄

Good thing is that ED is invoicing in USD so I actually can take advantage of the exchange rate (1,22 USD per EUR today), instead of the seller presenting the same price in both currencies and pocketing the difference.

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

34 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Maybe because you already have it?

No, if I logoff from YT I get  these values for a current new subscription:

88W7p4p.jpg

At the current exchange rate, thats less than US$ 9 per month:

ozLraIH.jpg

Of course, if it costed US$ 18 here I would classify that as expensive too and would probably had cut my subscription and installed AdBlock Plus. 🙂

38 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

No, if I logoff from YT I get  these values for a current new subscription:

88W7p4p.jpg

At the current exchange rate, thats less than US$ 9 per month:

ozLraIH.jpg

Of course, if it costed US$ 18 here I would classify that as expensive too and would probably had cut my subscription and installed AdBlock Plus. 🙂

Oh, I thought you were in US because you said USD.  Didn't know you converted.

This is discrimination.

YTPF.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

14 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

This is discrimination...

maybe it’s a socially concerned price, after all the minimum salary here is only US$ 450 per month, discrimination can be good sometimes 🙂 

wish the US government had some social spirit, instead of accumulating covid vaccines without consideration for the rest of the nations.

Taz, nearly every retailer provides regional pricing, including Steam. It's SoP to allow for sales in countries that would otherwise not be able to afford a product at all. 25% of your normal asking price is better than 100% of nothing.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2