Can someone explain sensors logic in Flanker? I visually see the target on Datalink inside 10km range, spot plane and turn on HMS to point at target with EOS, trying to lock but without success even target is burning AB. Same thing with Radar ON - it just wont lock anything in HMS mode. Locking targets that visually appear in sight is immposible beyond 10km and at that point enemy is well within his engagement no escape zone. So what are the sensors limitations here? What will guide and aquire targets on egg ET max range? Comparing to other HMS systems Flanker system effectiveness is drastically reduced. What is RL data behind this sensor ability reduction logic in DCS? I dont get it but trying hard to figure out this. Was this intentional for some reason?

As soon as radar is enabled in the close combat modes (either radar only or radar + IRST) it will only use the radar for scanning, and it will skip every target beyond 10 km.

The 10 km maximum range for the radar in the close combat modes is from the real world MiG-29 manual.

That still does not explain why the IRST has a reduced detection range in the close combat modes in DCS.

Try it for yourself. It doesnt radar lock what is visually observed even within 10km. VSM works within 5km in EOS but anything else and beyond is just immposibble to aquire if not using BVR Radar modes. Combat value of Flanker is drastically invalidated by my observation by this sensor ability reduction. I believe that RL technical spec of Flanker onboard equipment has different ranges than one in DCS. Im deeply dissapointed.

2 hours ago, jackmckay said:

Can someone explain sensors logic in Flanker? I visually see the target on Datalink inside 10km range, spot plane and turn on HMS to point at target with EOS, trying to lock but without success even target is burning AB. Same thing with Radar ON - it just wont lock anything in HMS mode. Locking targets that visually appear in sight is immposible beyond 10km and at that point enemy is well within his engagement no escape zone. So what are the sensors limitations here? What will guide and aquire targets on egg ET max range? Comparing to other HMS systems Flanker system effectiveness is drastically reduced. What is RL data behind this sensor ability reduction logic in DCS? I dont get it but trying hard to figure out this. Was this intentional for some reason?

I must say that I have experienced the same thing my self.

What I usually do, is after the HMS fails, I switch back to search mode and if there is nothing there either I switch then to vertical scan. Bore-sight mode fails to lock the target the same way as the HMS.

I don't know if there was some change or not, but I am having huge issues picking up targets that are close and in front of me. In TacView you can usually see me flying straight (scan mode), then couple of aileron rolls (vertical scan mode) and then a "Split-S" (nothing found, save my own ass).

Edited by Cmptohocah
  • Like 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉