F18 120c not retaking mid track after loose and relock target (with track files, video and tacview files)

Bravo One

GOod post. Thanks. Hope they explain or fix.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Might have something to do with going manual TWS - that will normally terminate data link to the missile (not sure how it is implemented).  It still has a chance to fly to where it last heard about the target and go active to find it.  If you are taking shots outside Rmax and then terminating DL to the missile, I don't think it will have a very good chance of making it.  So it seems to not be to far off.  I guess the question is what have they implemented for data link termination, if anything - Manual TWS, RMEM, ACM mode, possibly other things.

According to ED this intended, you are not supposed to be able to relock targets and resend datalink. It doesnt make sense either; why would the radar, upon generating a new trackfile that it has no idea if it is the old target or not, send datalink signals on old datalink channels to a missile launched at, as far as the radar is concerned, a different target (different trackfile = different target from the radar PoV)?

Edited by dundun92
  • Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

49 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

According to ED this intended, you are not supposed to be able to relock targets and resend datalink. It doesnt make sense either; why would the radar, upon generating a new trackfile that it has no idea if it is the old target or not, send datalink signals on old datalink channels to a missile launched at, as far as the radar is concerned, a different target (different trackfile = different target from the radar PoV)?

That only applies (in DCS) for the 120. The sparrows do re acquire after loss of radar lock and re gain.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

2 minutes ago, Joni said:

That only applies (in DCS) for the 120. The sparrows do re acquire after loss of radar lock and re gain.

yes, and thats because they dont use datalink, they simply look for reflected signals

• Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

yes, and thats because they dont use datalink

Yes it does. But I'm not sure if the M version we have included a datalink upload. I know the P does.

Edited by Joni

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, dundun92 said:

I see, that kind of make sense, but to be criterial, when you relock the target, the missle animation on radar screen should not pop up again, right?
But if you think, the plane should remember that that was a target over there doing the same thing 3 seconds ago. But Who knows