[ME] Tool for post-editing DCS missions?

gemborow

Hi mission makers!

I had some spare time recently so I started a side project of mine. The idea is to create a small stand-alone desktop utility for post editing DCS missions. The goal is to make some common tasks easier than in in-game mission editor. To give you some idea currently I have implemented editing of tasks text and units/groups radio frequencies (such as AWACS, carriers etc):

unknown.pngunknown.png

I know it's not a big deal right now, but I hope I would have more time to develop the app and add more features to it. Questions to you:

1. do you think that kind if app may be helpful at all?
  2. if yes, what functionalities would you like to see in such an app? (I'm generally looking for any ideas)

PS I don't want to make a release just now as it's still unstable but any "beta testers" are welcome.

Edited by gemborow

1 hour ago, gemborow said:

... Questions to you:

1. do you think that kind if app may be helpful at all

Hello,

While I applaud your efforts, such a tool would not be helpful to my Mission editing workflow. Currently I write all the mission text in a Word processor document, so that I can make use of its spell checking features, and then copy/paste onto the mission as I advance trough its development.

A tool that would be really useful to me, would be one that could copy Units, Trigger Zones and Triggers from one mission onto another on a different Map, adjusting positions so that they remain within the editable part of the map ... the final position of each unit and trigger zone would be done manually of course.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

A tool that would be really useful to me, would be one that could copy Units, Trigger Zones and Triggers from one mission onto another on a different Map, adjusting positions so that they remain within the editable part of the map ... the final position of each unit and trigger zone would be done manually of course.

Thanks for you reply. Currently I'm trying many things so there's no final shape of this tool. Maybe it will be just a bunch of different functionalities, I will definitely think about map-switch feature. I'll put that on my to do list. The only concern I have is how many things in mission itself are map specific and how much I can just copy as-is (I'm thinking of mission file internal structure here).

I really appreciate your reply, these kind of ideas is exactly what I am looking for!

• 3 months later...

Hi Gemborow,

I like your idea for mission post-editing.

My request is quite simple here: I have a large mission, involving approximately 50 ships, 30 aircraft, etc.

Currently, this mission starts at 08:00.

I'd just like to modify this to any time of the day, say: 20:00.

Is this possible globally for all the units and groups in the mission, with one command, and how ?

Thanks for your help,

Fly low....

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Interesting idea ; it somehow rejoins our "Mission editing workflow toolset" (you can find it here)

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !