Air to Air refueling - Having some fun now!

Caldera

On 2/23/2021 at 9:46 AM, Caldera said:

Hello.

Maybe some of you missed it, but my A-10 is stuck in the wing of the tanker? 

From my perspective I just tapped one of the tankers port engines then wildly careened to this position almost instantly.  Then "Happy as a Meadow Lark" just stuck there.  I went and got some more coffee.  When I came back it was still stuck as you see it for a photo op.

My technique is getting better.  The new joystick I have helps allot.  The biggest problem that I have is speed control.  Example, what I struggle with allot is if I am going a just bit to fast I back off the throttle.  The funny thing is that my air speed continues to increase.  Then I pull back some more and I am still going to fast.  ETC...  Same thing happens if I am going a bit too slow.

scoobie,

I have set the tanker for 220 15000.  I am guessing that it flies at 220 GS because I am using IAS which is about 183.  I have not gotten the hang of that just yet.  Plus or minus about 1 MPH is what I am talking about.  That is the speed control zone the troubles me.

Knock-Knock,

Thank you for the chart.  

glide,

Congrats!

Caldera

I had to play around with the speed for the tanker.  I have mine set for 15000 at 270 but he goes 240.  Not bad. 

I always add an AWACS to my missions so my tanker shows up on Datalink. 

If you want to watch the AI refuel, reduce their fuel to 3300 lbs under ordinance and add the refuelling task. 

Edited by glide

On 3/3/2021 at 1:02 PM, Caldera said:

glide,

I have my tanker now set for 15000 300 GS and I fly at about 240 IAS in formation with it.

Caldera

Another good tip.  Set your steer points to be exactly the same as the tanker.  This way you can fly the flight path marker and steering cue the same way you fly it in formation flight.