Jamming the APG-9 radar

Redmoon

9 hours ago, Redmoon said:

can we see on the radar (DDD or TID) if we are getting jammed such as in other airframes like the f-15c and SU-27 ?

A jamming SU-27 doesn't seems to affect my ability to lock.

Not yet. The Tomcat does not show any jamming effects yet :sad:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I made a few tests yesterday. A non-jamming SU27 could be picked up a 100ish NM in RWS. A jamming SU27 was reduced in the 80ish NM range. Small effect, but not shown on the radar.

In the other hand, I found FC3 radar the be somewhat underpowered. Using the jammer, they could lock at 21n , and without jamming lock in the 32ish NM range. Seems suspicious and probably not realistic.

5 hours ago, Redmoon said:

Seems suspicious and probably not realistic.

Nothing about jamming in DCS right now is particularly realistic. Aircraft that have jammers just do brute force noise jamming that might set back the radar a certain distance. This was fine for Flanker and LOMAC and all aircraft were essentially using the same radar with the values tweaked, but how do you account for that with across multiple generations of radar each with different techniques and designed explicitly to defeat the previous generation of ECM? That framework doesn't exist in DCS, and until it does there's not really a point in modelling the nuances of the ECCM capabilities of an aircraft. What is the AWG-9s burn through range versus a fictional version of the Sorbitsiya that doesn't work in anyway like the actual Sorbitsiya?

If you're interested, here's what the state of the art of DECM looked like circa 1960-ish

• Like 1