New Virpil CM3 Throttle has arrived

dburne

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, I was able to setup axis-to-buttons on the VKB ministick - was easier than I expected, you just have to use a bit of guess work to find the right axes. So now I can use either ministick as both a hat and axes. I will try using the CM3 ministick as TDC. This at least should be closer to actual HOTAS on the hog, hornet, and viper I believe.

My lower central MCG hat is my Tomcat weapons select. I find assigning all the needed controls to an appropriate button which I can easily use AND REMEMBER one of the biggest hurdles (read:headaches) in DCS. I'm not a huge fan of using the mouse - having to let go of the stick and go zoom-in heads down.

Plus, I mess about with too many modules I guess. 

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Interesting, however, if you use the technique mentioned above with axis-to-button on the mini-stick, there is no need to use modifiers, it is seamless between axes and buttons on the mini-stick.

Yeah agreed, however I have been using this method for a long time and I try and make it universal across modules, I have always used that hat in this manner with a modifier to increase the number of buttons available to use . Nice to know I can add buttons to that mini stick though which may come in handy for me at some point.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I love the Virpil axis-to-button feature! I also have buttons on pretty much every axis - flaps, zoom buttons, engine cutoff, external view.

I am limited to 5 axis choices for axis to buttons. I choose Flap 0-5% down 30-60% for Take Off and 95-100% for down, and throttle grip 1 and throttle grip 2 4-8% for idle. This is all the options that I have. Am I missing how to assign more axis to buttons?

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

You should be able to assign buttons to all the axes I think - all the same way. Why do you say you are limited?

-just select the axis you want to use

-then tick the boxes for the 'region of axis throw' you want to activate the button(s) (eg. 0-5%, 81-100%, whatever)

-'write to rom' (or whatever it's called)

-then look at the physical buttons table to see which ones were created (by moving your axis), and assign them to a logical button

For the axis to buttopns screen I can only see four (sorry thought there was five) axis to buittons options. I have chosen the rZ (Flaps) to give button outpputs at open, closed and mid position for the planes that do not use analgue axis for flaps such as the FW-190. The rY (RH Thottle grip) gives an ouput when closed to stop engines. I wouldd really like to add more buttons to Axis but cannot see how

image.png

image.png

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Your images aren't working, but you need to double click on the axes in the Axis tab of VPC software and you'll see a bunch of options there relating to axis-to-buttons.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

4 hours ago, imacken said:

Interesting, however, if you use the technique mentioned above with axis-to-button on the mini-stick, there is no need to use modifiers, it is seamless between axes and buttons on the mini-stick.

I just checked and realized I had already added buttons to the Micro Stick axis previously, so now have four more buttons available to me in DCS  I have not assigned yet. I am sure I will find a use for them, glad I saw this and checked.

Thanks for bringing to my attention again.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

22 minutes ago, imacken said:

Your images aren't working, but you need to double click on the axes in the Axis tab of VPC software and you'll see a bunch of options there relating to axis-to-buttons.

image.png

Double clicking on the main axis button does nothing, just opens this screen same a single click.

Double click on the individual axis results in this screen - getting there

image.png

Right that's where you want to be.

Double click on the axis you want to add buttons to:

1.png

Then choose which areas of the axis travel you want to activate the buttons, and save:

2.png

Then Save to VPC Device:

3.png

Then check which buttons were assigned by moving the axis and watching to see which buttons activate:

4.png

Then finally, make sure that button on the Physical buttons state list is assigned to a logical button which is what your game will see:

5.jpg

And Save to VPC Device once more:

3.png

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 1

Got it, great thanks more dimensions to play with

Yeah that is one thing about Virpil hardware, you won't run short of dimensions to play around with.

It has more than my feeble mind can comprehend.

Don B

23 hours ago, dburne said:

I don't think so but don't know really. Could be the replacement would do the same thing. I don't know if they replaced mine or how they serviced it. It is not bad, just not perfect at returning to absolute center in both axis. A small dead zone takes care of it for how I use it for TDC slew.

Without putting the dead-zone in the tdc cursor would just slowly move.

Ok so just to clarify and close this little issue out.

I received a suggestion over on the Virpil forum that has worked out really well for me with this mini stick.

I changed it to with center and put a small dead-zone of 10 for center in the axis tab  of the software.

It now reflects accurate center (50%) and returns to that each time in horizontal and vertical axis.

And with it physically moving very smooth and consistent now I am a happy camper once again.

👍

• Like 1

Don B

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Ok so just to clarify and close this little issue out.

I received a suggestion over on the Virpil forum that has worked out really well for me with this mini stick.

I changed it to with center and put a small dead-zone of 10 for center in the axis tab  of the software.

It now reflects accurate center (50%) and returns to that each time in horizontal and vertical axis.

And with it physically moving very smooth and consistent now I am a happy camper once again.

👍

Good to hear it's working for you.  I replaced the cables in my CM3 today...so far so good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drac said:

Good to hear it's working for you.  I replaced the cables in my CM3 today...so far so good.

Great news congrats!

Don B