New Virpil CM3 Throttle has arrived

dburne

Pre-Ordered on Dec 14th.

Receipt from payment charged on Dec 18th.

Notification of shipment via Fed Ex on Dec 31st.

Delivered on Wed Jan 6th.

12 hours ago, Drac said:

How did you turn your lights off?  I went to the LED section in the VPC software and did not see an off selection.

After flashing to latest firmware mine were off by default in Mode 1. They come on for modes 2-5 for me.

I currently am only using Mode 1 so they stay off which is fine as I wear a VR headset when gaming anyway.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Pre-Ordered on Dec 14th.

Receipt from payment charged on Dec 18th.

Notification of shipment via Fed Ex on Dec 31st.

Delivered on Wed Jan 6th.

After flashing to latest firmware mine were off by default in Mode 1. They come on for modes 2-5 for me.

I currently am only using Mode 1 so they stay off which is fine as I wear a VR headset when gaming anyway.

Mine was in Mode 1 as well...but had yellow lights.  They should make it simple...On or Off. option.  By the way, mine came already updated to the latest firmware.

Edited by Drac

I have run into my first issue with this great throttle. I was testing the different detents, and somehow the screw hole for the front (afterburner) detent has gotten messed up. The screw will only go down about half way, and can not lock the detent down. I have not tried to force it. I blew the hole out with throttle upside down in case a piece of debris might be in there. I also took a fine dental floss brush and rubbed it around in the threaded brass hole. Nothing I have done has helped.

I opened a support ticket with Virpil early yesterday morning. I had no problems at all changing out the rear idle/off detent, just the front one.

The screw will go in fine for about the first half of travel in that threaded insert, then it just stops hard. 

Not a major problem more of an annoyance, especially as it having those detents was the reason I purchased it. 

Other than that everything still working flawlessly and I continue to map my buttons in my three flight sims.

I would urge caution for new CM3 owners, take great care when screwing those detent screws in. Make sure it is going in cleanly and easily.

I will advise when I hear back from Virpil on my support ticket.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have been wondering about that.  When placing the detent after calibration, It appeared the screw does not go all the way down, but it is tight.  So I just left it as it does not move as I go through to afterburner...will continue to monitor.

7 minutes ago, Drac said:

I have been wondering about that.  When placing the detent after calibration, It appeared the screw does not go all the way down, but it is tight.  So I just left it as it does not move as I go through to afterburner...will continue to monitor.

Yeah be careful - I wish mine would go far enough down to hold the detent, but it does not.

Don B

Came in a day earlier than expected. I also got brackets from Virpil to mount to my Warthog Throttle Mounting Plate for my Monster Tech mount. Going to swap it out now, then get busy with the software and see how I like this puppy. More thoughts will follow later.

t1ZVi48.jpg
Hi, re the mounting to existing monstertech warthog plate I'm assuming that was just a Virpil shop item?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

5 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah be careful - I wish mine would go far enough down to hold the detent, but it does not.

I ordered my CM3 on Dec 5th (along with an Alpha grip and WarBRD base) and received an invoice two days ago.  So I really appreciate all the information being shared by those of you who already have the throttle as I anxiously wait to receive mine. Thanks.

The issue with the detent screw is disappointing to hear since this is so basic.  Assuming you've already verified that the threads are not stripped, would a small thin washer on the screw enable the detent to be snugged up?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero Z270, Intel Core I7 - 7700K, Gskill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair RM750X, Windows 10 Home, Asus ROG PG348Q 34” 3440 x 1440 100hz curved IPS G-Sync monitor, Saitek X52 Pro Hotas, TrackIR V5

42 minutes ago, MileHiRyder said:

I ordered my CM3 on Dec 5th (along with an Alpha grip and WarBRD base) and received an invoice two days ago.  So I really appreciate all the information being shared by those of you who already have the throttle as I anxiously wait to receive mine. Thanks.

The issue with the detent screw is disappointing to hear since this is so basic.  Assuming you've already verified that the threads are not stripped, would a small thin washer on the screw enable the detent to be snugged up?

Hmm yeah, it might take a few but that might allow me to actually use the detent again. Thanks for the idea. It will have to be pretty close to an exact size as there is no room for play in that groove. 

56 minutes ago, zildac said:
On 1/6/2021 at 12:50 PM, dburne said:
Came in a day earlier than expected. I also got brackets from Virpil to mount to my Warthog Throttle Mounting Plate for my Monster Tech mount. Going to swap it out now, then get busy with the software and see how I like this puppy. More thoughts will follow later.

t1ZVi48.jpg

Hi, re the mounting to existing monstertech warthog plate I'm assuming that was just a Virpil shop item?

Yes Virpil sells bracket to fit their Throttle to Warthog plate of Monster Tech. I ordered the Virpil bracket with the throttle.

Worked a champ.

Warthog throttle is now ( I hope) officially retired.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Yes Virpil sells bracket to fit their Throttle to Warthog plate of Monster Tech. I ordered the Virpil bracket with the throttle.
Worked a champ.
Thanks for clarifying. I misread and assumed you meant the monstertech chair mounts, reread and see you meant the desk mounts.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

5 minutes ago, zildac said:
18 minutes ago, dburne said:

Worked a champ.

Thanks for clarifying. I misread and assumed you meant the monstertech chair mounts, reread and see you meant the desk mounts.

Yeah sorry, there is a picture posted somewhere earlier in the thread of the throttle and my stick mounted.

Been using it all day, still working out my button mapping but so far I am so loving this throttle!

I may be taking a trip to hardware store on Monday to check on some washers. Might be a good idea to pick up couple of spare screws just in case. I can see me easily losing one.

Don B

Yeah sorry, there is a picture posted somewhere earlier in the thread of the throttle and my stick mounted.
Been using it all day, still working out my button mapping but so far I am so loving this throttle!
I may be taking a trip to hardware store on Monday to check on some washers. Might be a good idea to pick up couple of spare screws just in case. I can see me easily losing one.
No worries. Glad you're enjoying it, mine is still on back order so keeping an eye on this thread, especially the detent shenanigans!

2 minutes ago, zildac said:
17 minutes ago, dburne said:

No worries. Glad you're enjoying it, mine is still on back order so keeping an eye on this thread, especially the detent shenanigans!

Yeah I will keep the thread updated on Virpil's response. Hopefully I hear back from them soon. While the washer idea may work for the short term, I would very much like a long term solution.

Don B

Yeah I will keep the thread updated on Virpil's response. Hopefully I hear back from them soon. While the washer idea may work for the short term, I would very much like a long term solution.

Would be very interested to hear the outcome. In my limited dealings with them they've been very helpful.

2 minutes ago, zildac said:
8 minutes ago, dburne said:

Would be very interested to hear the outcome. In my limited dealings with them they've been very helpful.

Yeah back in the day the original T-50 Mongoos stick came out, I pre-ordered it and had an issue and they were most helpful and quick in getting it resolved. I am sure they will be here as well.

I counted the number of turns that screw turns freely into that brass insert before stopping - 11 turns, then it comes to a grinding halt. Very strange.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

17 minutes ago, zildac said:

...so keeping an eye on this thread, especially the detent shenanigans!

Yes, I'm about to put in an order too, but this has caught my eye. Any other show stoppers or concerns for those about rock , uh ... I mean buy?

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

24 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Yes, I'm about to put in an order too, but this has caught my eye. Any other show stoppers or concerns for those about rock , uh ... I mean buy?

I would not consider it a show stopper, and may be just a one off on me.

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

The other option (no idea if it's a common size/threat or not) if you can find an identical bolt (so you don't have to mess with the original) just cut it down to size so that it doesn't bottom out before it gets tight.  That would avoid having it sticking out if that's a problem.  I don't have the throttle so no idea if this would work.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rob10 said:

The other option (no idea if it's a common size/threat or not) if you can find an identical bolt (so you don't have to mess with the original) just cut it down to size so that it doesn't bottom out before it gets tight.  That would avoid having it sticking out if that's a problem.  I don't have the throttle so no idea if this would work.

Yeah that may be an option I have a Dremmel Tool with cutting wheel. I am sure I can take the screw into Ace Hardware and match it up to get another couple or so to have. Or better yet maybe get a little shorter screw then no cutting or washers needed. The screw does turn 11 turns freely before snagging in there, so that I would think should be enough to hold it good when tightened.

Yeah maybe shorter screw will be the easy answer, let's hope so!

Dang we be good at all this collaboration! Sounds like I will be taking a trip to Ace Hardware on Monday.

Edited by dburne

Don B

10 hours ago, dburne said:

I would not consider it a show stopper, and may be just a one off on me.

Okay thanks. I hope the issue with your screw is easily solvable. Have you tried unbolting the detent channel from the body to see if there's a foreign obstruction underneath?

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Okay thanks. I hope the issue with your screw is easily solvable. Have you tried unbolting the detent channel from the body to see if there's a foreign obstruction underneath?

No I have not gone that far as to try to remove that plate till I hear back from Virpil Support. My luck I would manage to screw something else up.

Don B

25 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

The wise course of action, I think. Many times in the past I've thought "what could go wrong," only to then find out precisely what.

Yeah same here. Hoping I can have success at the hardware store tomorrow getting a slightly shorter screw, which would allow me to at least use that detent again. My only concern then will be how it will hold up with multiple removals and re-inserting of that detent. Which I would probably want to do when changing to certain planes.  Of course I guess I could once I have it successfully mounted again just not take it off again. But I would prefer to be able to take it off and put it back on as needed with no issue depending on the plane I will be flying.

This minor annoyance aside, I can't stress enough how much I am so loving this throttle so far! I have used it for several hours over the past couple of days. It is getting to where it fits my hand like a glove lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

22 hours ago, dburne said:

I counted the number of turns that screw turns freely into that brass insert before stopping - 11 turns, then it comes to a grinding halt. Very strange.

That's a significant number of full turns before stopping.  How many turns does it take before the other detent snugs up? 

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero Z270, Intel Core I7 - 7700K, Gskill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair RM750X, Windows 10 Home, Asus ROG PG348Q 34” 3440 x 1440 100hz curved IPS G-Sync monitor, Saitek X52 Pro Hotas, TrackIR V5

9 minutes ago, MileHiRyder said:

That's a significant number of full turns before stopping.  How many turns does it take before the other detent snugs up? 

I just double checked, I must have counted wrong the first time,

It actually comes to a stop after 4.5-5 turns.

The Idle/Off screw with detent in, snugs up after about 7 turns.

Don B

dburne, can you tell me if the slew control on the CM3 is any better then the one on the Warthog throttle?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64