New Virpil CM3 Throttle has arrived

dburne

Came in a day earlier than expected. I also got brackets from Virpil to mount to my Warthog Throttle Mounting Plate for my Monster Tech mount. Going to swap it out now, then get busy with the software and see how I like this puppy. More thoughts will follow later.

t1ZVi48.jpg

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am interested to know is there a same throttle position for the afterburner in Hornet and Viper (and other like Su-27S) etc. As if not, then the afterburner detents starts to be cumbersome as one needs to adjust them always between various aircrafts.

Why I hope ED is going soon implement the axis based setting where afterburner and idle positions starts/ends. So you move the throttle to wanted position and then in axis settings click "Afterburner" and "Idle". The idle would allow to be set in 0-30% scale of the throttle and afterburner in 50-100% scale of it.

Edit: Please tell more about the detents, like are they easy to release when you push/pull throttle against the detents etc?

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

24 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

I am interested to know is there a same throttle position for the afterburner in Hornet and Viper (and other like Su-27S) etc. As if not, then the afterburner detents starts to be cumbersome as one needs to adjust them always between various aircrafts.

Why I hope ED is going soon implement the axis based setting where afterburner and idle positions starts/ends. So you move the throttle to wanted position and then in axis settings click "Afterburner" and "Idle". The idle would allow to be set in 0-30% scale of the throttle and afterburner in 50-100% scale of it.

Edit: Please tell more about the detents, like are they easy to release when you push/pull throttle against the detents etc?

I like the idea of ED allowing one to set detent positions to match the hardware, that would be nice.

Don't know if I will play around with all 5 sets of detents or not, so don't know how much I will be able to tell you in that regard.

Mine came with the aerobatic detents installed, pretty sure I don't want to use those based on what I feel. I will probably try both Warthog and Classic detents to see which I prefer.

Have it on my mount , now to install software and figure out how to calibrate.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well she is all mounted on my Monster Tech Mount, plugged in and ready to go.

Cept I can not get the VPC software figured out just yet, so nothing is being seen in Windows.

No instructions came with the device and I have been searching their site and forums trying to find out the appropriate steps I need to take.

I remember back in the day when I was running my original T-50 stick I had to load a profile, but so far do not see any profile to load from the software. Ugh.

Don B

Got mine on monday, the detent setup in software was not intuitive, until I found this post

VPC Detent setup

Key thing that took a bit of kajiggering was that the right throttle axes is inverted (raw values decrease instead of increase) so when setting the detents I had to invert the values, took a bit of trial and error to figure it out later I can post what it looks like in my setup as an example, but just be ready for that. Once thats setup the afterburner detent works great.

The afterburner detent is a push thru btw, its just a hard push through, tighten that bolt down pretty hard cause it will move if you slam the throttle forward over it. Or just put it all the way forward.

If you set the AB detent up as he describes LOW-HIGH detent in the post linked, you will have to use a deadzone/curve in DCS to make the idle detent work. However the axis to button still works if you do that.

Overall a bit more tinkering than I was hoping to get it setup the way I wanted it. Biggest stopping block was figuring out the virpil software detent stuff, hopefully that post will help a ton. Made zero sense what was happening till I read that.

After that its kinda the standard DCS curve/deadzone tweaking that you always have to do.

Well after much fussing about turned out it did not like the particular USB2 Port in my hub I had it plugged into hence why windows was not seeing it attached. So I plugged it into my trusty USB 3 Hub and she was recognized immediately.

Finally after some internet searching I got the firmware flashed and the profile for it loaded up.

Only thing I can't quite figure out is how to get those LED's to stay lit. I chose a blue color, and when I save the device it disconnects and then reconnects, well during that process they are lit blue but once the device is reconnected they go out.

So I am struggling a bit with the LED's. Looks like I am going to have plenty of time testing over the next few days, wife and I found out earlier today we have been exposed to Covid so we are going to self quarantine for the next several days.

Should be able to give this throttle a good run down.

Oh and what I did for the idle/off detent, when I calibrated with Virpil software I just moved throttle back to the idle detent, did not lift it up through the off detent. Off gives a button press like the Warthog does, so should be able to assign that in the controller setup for my plane.

Also the detents can be adjusted forward and backward a little, to fine tune the detents even further. Nice. Plus they are quick and easy to change out. After trying three, I for now have settled on the Classic Plus detents.

Now for those LED's - argh!

Don B

That's strange that you're having problems getting the LEDs to stay lit.  I had problems getting the LEDs to turn off!  in the LED page, are you setting the colors there for the first 6 LEDs on the top row on the left side?  Those appear to control the lights on the CM3.  The other squares on that page are just "extra".

BTW, sorry you were potentially exposed to COVID.  Hope you and your wife stay healthy!

53 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

That's strange that you're having problems getting the LEDs to stay lit.  I had problems getting the LEDs to turn off!  in the LED page, are you setting the colors there for the first 6 LEDs on the top row on the left side?  Those appear to control the lights on the CM3.  The other squares on that page are just "extra".

BTW, sorry you were potentially exposed to COVID.  Hope you and your wife stay healthy!

Thanks much appreciated!

I re-flashed the firmware and got the default colors back for mode positions 2-5, 1 is dark it seems by default.

I am just going to leave it, heck I won't see the lights anyway whilst flying in VR.

On to getting my button assignments set up in the new CM3. 

Should get some good flight time with it tomorrow.

Don B

Hmm this seems off.

I was going to assign my Hornet TDC slew axis horizontal and vertical to the slew on my new CM3 Throttle, but DCS does not seem to let me?

It does not let me do any assignment in that column for TDC slew axis?

Edited by dburne

Don B

8 hours ago, dburne said:

Hmm this seems off.

I was going to assign my Hornet TDC slew axis horizontal and vertical to the slew on my new CM3 Throttle, but DCS does not seem to let me?

It does not let me do any assignment in that column for TDC slew axis?

Asking an obvious question, but you are in the axis commands section, aren't you?  Shouldn't be a problem at all.

ms.jpg

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

52 minutes ago, imacken said:

Asking an obvious question, but you are in the axis commands section, aren't you?  Shouldn't be a problem at all.

ms.jpg

Yeah I was, went back in to check again and realized then what I had done.

I was looking at TDC Slew (mouse) rather than Throttle Designator Controller.

Big duh! Thanks!

Don B

All mounted and set up ready for flight. Been going in to my flight sims and doing some axis/button assignments. Coming from my old Warthog Throttle I have been using for so long, going to take some time to get used to the new arrangement of buttons. But I sure am liking what I am seeing so far.

5yP8c0e.jpg

I just had the lights on for the pic, they represent the mode selector. There are 5 modes for those 6 buttons, so a total of 30 commands can be assigned to those utilizing the mode selector.  I had it on Mode 2 which is blue lights, I normally am using Mode 1 in which the lights are off.  Which is fine as I game in VR anyway so would not be seeing them.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

That's awesome.  That's gonna be similar to my desk soon hopefully.  As you know I have a CM3 already, and I ordered a Gunfighter MK III MCG Pro - S (100mm extension model) on Tuesday and it was picked up by FedEx yesterday.  Can't wait to get it.  I'm coming from a CH Fighterstick which is nice, though I'm looking forward to the metal gimbal with an extension for center mounting (rather than sidestick mounting).  The angular deflection on the CH is also a bit uncomfortable for my hand during hard dogfights.

Maybe when my Gunfighter arrives you can help me learn the VKB software 😃

Edited by RightYouAreKen

20 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

That's awesome.  That's gonna be similar to my desk soon hopefully.  As you know I have a CM3 already, and I ordered a Gunfighter MK III MCG Pro - S (100mm extension model) on Tuesday and it was picked up by FedEx yesterday.  Can't wait to get it.  I'm coming from a CH Fighterstick which is nice, though I'm looking forward to the metal gimbal with an extension for center mounting (rather than sidestick mounting).  The angular deflection on the CH is also a bit uncomfortable for my hand during hard dogfights.

Maybe when my Gunfighter arrives you can help me learn the VKB software 😃

I will always be glad to help any way I can.

You are in for a treat baby with a CM3 and an extended Gunfighter Mk III !!

• Like 1

Don B

Glad to see some of you have gotten your throttles already. I'm probably still a couple weeks out according to VIRPIL. That's fine as I still have several other VIRPIL parts to wait for. Hopefully I'll have everything by the time I'm on vacation in February. Also gives me time to see what issues you are having and that way I can be ahead of the game when mine arrives. On a related note, I ordered a new CPU (i9 10900k) and a new motherboard (ROG Maximus XII Formula) but having trouble getting FedEx to deliver them. They are an incompetent bunch of boobs if you ask me. My RTX 2080 will have to do for now as I can't find any RTX 3080's in stock anywhere. I also ordered an HP Reverb G2 which I hope ships this month.

Edited by Lucky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

40 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Glad to see some of you have gotten your throttles already. I'm probably still a couple weeks out according to VIRPIL. That's fine as I still have several other VIRPIL parts to wait for. Hopefully I'll have everything by the time I'm on vacation in February. Also gives me time to see what issues you are having and that way I can be ahead of the game when mine arrives. On a related note, I ordered a new CPU (i9 10900k) and a new motherboard (ROG Maximus XII Formula) but having trouble getting FedEx to deliver them. They are an incompetent bunch of boobs if you ask me. My RTX 2080 will have to do for now as I can't find any RTX 3080's in stock anywhere. I also ordered an HP Reverb G2 which I hope ships this month.

You are in for a treat!

Keep the faith - maybe you will be a little - ahem - "Lucky". Bwaha!

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

You are in for a treat!

Keep the faith - maybe you will be a little - ahem - "Lucky". Bwaha!

"Lucky" in name only. I ordered a lot of parts so I understand the delays. On a good note I finally got my new motherboard and CPU. Unfortunately, now I won't have time to install them until next week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

5 hours ago, dburne said:

All mounted and set up ready for flight. Been going in to my flight sims and doing some axis/button assignments. Coming from my old Warthog Throttle I have been using for so long, going to take some time to get used to the new arrangement of buttons. But I sure am liking what I am seeing so far.

5yP8c0e.jpg

I just had the lights on for the pic, they represent the mode selector. There are 5 modes for those 6 buttons, so a total of 30 commands can be assigned to those utilizing the mode selector.  I had it on Mode 2 which is blue lights, I normally am using Mode 1 in which the lights are off.  Which is fine as I game in VR anyway so would not be seeing them.

How did you turn your lights off?  I went to the LED section in the VPC software and did not see an off selection.

You select the ‘black’ colour option. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

28 minutes ago, imacken said:

You select the ‘black’ colour option. 

I had selected the black buttons and nothing happened...thus the post.  Turned the computer back on to check for a reply, the lights are off.  I'm guessing you have to turn the computer off and then back on for the lights to change.  This CM3 is finicky...Thanks

Certainly don’t have to with the CM2. Change colour, save and load profile. Done. 

@dburneand @KlarSnow - would you mind sharing when you actually placed your order? I'm just wondering what the lead times are on this at the moment (since I've had one on order for a few weeks and haven't had any updates).

Can you also please advise what communication you got? (Were you notified when the unit was shipped, or did you just receive an invoice, etc)?

Pre-Ordered 4 Dec 2020

Reciept from Virpil UAB on 18 Dec 2020

Order updated to complete on 30 Dec 2020

Fedex tracking number recieved 30 Dec 2020

Shipped to my door 4 Jan 2021

I have ordered several things from virpil, and especially with a preorder wait till you get the reciept/invoice, after that things move pretty quick.

Edited by KlarSnow
  • Thanks 1