What are those double double horns on nose of RNFAA HarrierII, and why dont we have em?

DmitriKozlowsky

Morning,

Its because the AV-8B N/A is a different Harrier variant to the British GR7/9. The two tusks belong to the Marconi Zeus ECM system I believe, and is the reason why we don't have a British version as it is still classified i think.

• Like 1

I think the extra pylon is just for missiles though, no heavy ordnance, but i suppose it would free up the two outer pylons for a bomb and use the outriggers for the sidearms 🙂

Hopefully, one day we might get a GR version #fingerscrossed

I noticed that British GR7/9 carry 4 AIM-9s and same amount of A-G stores as US Marines variant.  British used 27mm Mauser gun?  On the photo GR has TPOD on centerline station, where DECM pod would go.

So British GR carries internal ECM, and has 2 additional stations for AA missiles. Darn it. That sounds more interesting.

2 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

British used 27mm Mauser gun?

The British second generation Harriers never carried guns. They were planning on making a 25mm version of the 30mm ADEN that was used on the first generation of Harriers. That project failed, but the gun pods sans guns were still carried, since you want some sort of fence on the belly. So the GR.5+ series gets built in ECM, extra Sidewinders/more ordnance carried, but no guns.

It kept acting like Bob Marley. Not sure if the wiring act software was kept for it... Will have ask my BAe systems friend.

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

"It kept acting like Bob Marley."

What does that mean ?

Why would RNFAA deprive Harrier II pilots of a gun?

With those 2 additional rails, that gives Brit HarrierII six AA missile stations. Not bad, even if those were WVR AIM-9 or Iris-T families. Too bad that RAF shot down Blue Vixen radar for it. I figure a radar equipped HarrierII GR7/9 would have 2 X AIM-120 + 4 X AIM-9 or IRIS-T. That's same as Block 50/52 Viper .

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

As stated above, gun was never fitted, but pods used for ECM (just before retirement all sorts of clever stuff added). Extra pylon by outrigger wheels ONLY capable of sidewinder, I think trial for ASRAAM considered, but UK Harriers withdrawn from service before ASRAAM entered service. (ASRAAM is Europe/UK rival to 9X - 9X beats ASRAAM in cutting the corner in dogfight, but ARAAM very fast and beats 9X in a straight line (allegedly arrives across the circle with the target at about the same time as a 9X, just having travelled further!)  - jury still out as to which is better!

Back in late 1980's when UK Royal Navy needed to decide on Sea Harrier (Falklands winner) replacement/improvement, choice was between Improved FRS 1 (= FA2 with Blue Vixen Radar top speed 0.87 ish)) or thicker winged GR5/7 (AV-8B) Harrier (top speed 0.82 ish). Latter with thicker wing was able to carry way more stores etc, but thinner wing "original" harrier had 0.5 MACH advantage, and in late 1980's requirement the ability to defend Fleet against TU-Badgers (0.85 ish) there was 1 obvious answer......who'd have guessed Cold War was coming to an end and the next 30 years was all about Mud Moving !

Blue Vixen became the 1st European radar that really worked with AIM-120 and ultimately, with modifications, is today's basis for the EuroFighter Typhoon radar. That Sea Harrier/Blue Vixen/AIM-120 combination transformed the "un-wanted, b**tard Ginger haired child" that no one wanted to play with, to the most invited squadrons at the various ACMI ranges in Europe.

The Poor old Sea Harrier struggled on with an improved engine for operating in Warmer Climates (Persian Gulf couldn't be further away than the cold North Atlantic envisioned) and these improved, more powerful engines made their way into the combined RN/RAF Harrier fleet - recognisable by the suffix "A" on GR-7A/9A. I think these engines have now ended up with the USMC???? But I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

If anyone is still reading, there are some awesome GR7/9 skins out there that really look the part on the RAZBAM AV-8B - my genuine "thanks" to those who took thetime to create these.

• Like 1