JSOW has way too small drag - record of 85 km glide

Fri13

Witnessed today a JSOW AGM-154C launch at 1847 m ASL altitude, at speed of 585 km/h and it glided 10 minutes for ~85 km and it would have likely continued another 100 km if the mission would have not ended, as TacView shows that it would have kinetic energy and air speed as well altitude to do it 2-3 times longer if not disturbed.

Yes, it is boring video as it is playing in real-time the whole 10 minutes from release to end of mission. But at the end of the video you can still see nicely the glide bomb parameters how it could have continued its travel almost forever.

The bomb should have about 130 km maximum range at very high altitude release and at high speed, and that only on paper really. But now JSOW can glide even past that from release parameters that shouldn't even be usable for minimum range.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

+1

I don't have a .trk file handy atm to show but have a tacview if anyone is interested, but I have personally been able to get 120NM hits with the AGM-154Cs from doing a manual release while seeing the same behaviour stated above.

I am almost certain they can go further, terrain permitting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can someone get a trackfile when this happens to them? As the JSOW is without drag now. And as it can perform so ridiculous glides right now, it will mean it does totally wrong as well at the shorter ranges. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, since there have been no .trk files supplied showing off just how crazy the drag profile of the AGM-154Cs are (afaik the AGM-154A does not behave the same "broken" way) I am uploading one here. All four AGM-154Cs were released at +95NM, with all 4 hitting an arbitrarily selected waypoint just for demonstration purposes. All four also successfully completed pop-up attacks, from as low as 200 ft MSL.

If you do happen to watch the .trk, please let me know what you think.

(Yes, the two JSOWs that loft into 40k ft do end up smashing the same targeted waypoint.)

AGM154C GLIDE.trk

Edited by July
  • Like 1

Bumping this thread for visibility because there is now a trackfile to reference showcasing the AGM-154C drag profile. A reply and potential change to the thread tag is in order.

Edited by July