Just out of curiosity regarding the real SLAM 84E

fmedges

Think about when it was that this weapon was delivered. Seeing even 15 miles would have been mind bogglingly revolutionary. Remember that the DL part of SLAM comes from walleye, a crappy Vietnam era weapon. SLAM retired in the 90s and has been replaced by SLAM-ER, which should be a whole other ball game.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

1 hour ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Think about when it was that this weapon was delivered. Seeing even 15 miles would have been mind bogglingly revolutionary. Remember that the DL part of SLAM comes from walleye, a crappy Vietnam era weapon. SLAM retired in the 90s and has been replaced by SLAM-ER, which should be a whole other ball game.

Well maybe. You have to remember that the DL and infrared seeker in our Walleye are very much post Vietnam. Think late 70’s / early 80’s. Vietnam version was TV seeker only and no DL. 

Having said that, SLAM was clearly a limited weapon. It had mixed success when employed in Desert Storm and later in Allied Force (Kosovo). Although the datalink range should perhaps be a little better, say 45-50 miles. Otherwise the 54nm max range seems completely superfluous. Similar weapons of the era like AGM-130 used by F-15E had larger turn and run DL guidance. 

8 hours ago, fmedges said:

Was the seeker head via the datalink really that bad as it is in DCS? I say beyond 15 it's barely useable. I can't imagine (even though it was a quick process) that the test squadron sent a stand off weapon to the fleet with the seeker head un-useable beyond 15-20 miles. 

The seeker comes from a Maverick D if I'm not mistaken, which I think is only good to about ~7 nmi. And as swift said, the D/L comes from the Walleye II ER/DL that we have.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

8 hours ago, Rissala said:

It forks fine up to 40 nm. Then it becomes "unusable". You do not need a crystal clear image of the target, only the shapes of them.

Pro tip: change the contrast and brightness using the knobs on the MFD the have a clearer image.

How are you getting those ranges? The Second picture is at 30 miles with the missile at my 6 hence me using the aft antenna. The One with the pod is at 16.9 miles.Screen_210104_161948.png

Screen_210104_161147.png

Edited by fmedges

I launch the SLAM around 40-50 miles, but I set the camera to power on at around 10-15 miles from the target.  Even then I don't dare attempt to steer it until it starts it's terminal dive.  By then it's usually diving right the target set by WPDSG or the flir pod.  I don' think the point of the camera is to pick your target out as the missile is flying through the air.

• Like 1